PDA

View Full Version : 250es front axle

Outboardbill
05-08-2014, 10:03 PM
I needed to remove the front wheel on my son's Big Red and found the axle was stuck. I heated the threads on the left fork and it finally turned. Now the axle will not come out of the hub and brake assembly. Will it only pull out in one direction? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Flyingw
05-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Take it to a shop and have it pressed out. That's the best way to handle that. Once it moves, it will come right out.

tri again
05-09-2014, 04:55 PM
I got lucky once and was able to unscrew the threads
but axle stayed stuck, like yours.
The lucky parts was the forks spread juuuust enough,
like .025" to weasel the front wheel/hub out...unless that was an sx.

Did you get the front hub assembly off the frame? or is it still
stuck in the forks.

Outboardbill
05-09-2014, 10:35 PM
That was exactly what happened. I have the hub and axle assembly in my hands. l am going to try Flyingw's idea with the press this weekend.

tri again
05-10-2014, 05:31 AM
That was exactly what happened. I have the hub and axle assembly in my hands. l am going to try Flyingw's idea with the press this weekend.

I'm starting to remember now.
I got the old axle and hub out with less than a sparkplug gap to spare and just weasled in one off another trike, hub, wheel, tire and all.
The funky one got put on the parts trike to keep it a roller.

Not really sure what the problem is but a parts diagram should tell.
Guessing bearings and some sort of sleeve spacer that stuck to the axle.

Ever since that episode, I walk around everything I own and hit anything suspicious with liquid wrench or similar.
Be happy that the axle threads came loose from the forks.
I have a couple that seized axle to aluminum threads and busted / ruined the fork. Came with parts trikes but sad, nonetheless.

Congrats and hope the press guy slips it out effortlessly for free.