PDA

View Full Version : 85-86 250R Axle finish/color

MojaveRider
05-07-2014, 12:59 PM
I hope this topic hasn't been covered too much before. I did some searches but I couldn't find a good answer. I've got an '86 250R with a good stock axle but it has significant surface rust. What was the factory finish on the axle? Zinc coated? Has anyone had their axle re-coated and what did it cost? Is there a paint that is close to the factory color? I want to clean up the axle but this isn't some OEM restore so it doesn't have to be perfect, just protect the axle and look close to original.

250rRoostmaster
05-07-2014, 01:48 PM
I powder coated my axle and is has held up to the dunes for 2 seasons now and still looks great. I believe the stockers had a zinc like coating on them so you could have it zinc coated as well but i do not know the cost of that. My axle was $50 to get powder coated if that helps.

MojaveRider
05-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I powder coated my axle and is has held up to the dunes for 2 seasons now and still looks great. I believe the stockers had a zinc like coating on them so you could have it zinc coated as well but i do not know the cost of that. My axle was $50 to get powder coated if that helps.

Thanks for the info! What color did you use?

250rRoostmaster
05-07-2014, 01:53 PM
I just went with gloss black, it dulls a little but shines up nicely with a good coat of wax.

Flyingw
05-07-2014, 02:01 PM
To answer your question, Honda plated most of their axles with Yellow Zinc. Yellow Zinc offers better environmental protection over white Zinc. Check your local area for metal finishers. You may have one near you that can replate the axle.

MojaveRider
05-07-2014, 02:02 PM
To answer your question, Honda plated most of their axles with Yellow Zinc. Yellow Zinc offers better environmental protection over white Zinc. Check your local area for metal finishers. You may have one near you that can replate the axle.

Perfect, thanks!