PDA

View Full Version : Using quads for parts Wolf in DX clothing UPDATE.

Trike_crazy
05-04-2014, 11:06 PM
So I picked up 3 dx225's over ther last few weeks. The plan was to make 2 out of the 3 and use what was left for extras. That was until I read a thread on here about someone swapping in a 250 timberwolf engine. After looking for a timberwolf for a decent price my buddy found one and I worked out a deal and it was mine. So my plan was to swap the engine and the swingarm over to the dx and scrap the quad. Well after a few hours I had the quad stripped down of all of its usable part and stared work on the dx.192633 Here's the timberwolf engine and some other parts after stripping the quad. 192634 Here's the dx in question with its missing top end I picked up for $100

Trike_crazy
05-04-2014, 11:21 PM
192635 Here's the dx with the swingarm removed. Came out pretty easy
192636 This is the timberwolf swingarm basically ready to go in. Just had to swap the shock. More on that in a minute. You can see the quad sacrificed for this swap in the background
192637 This is the dx swingarm. As you can see its about 12 inches from the pivot centerline to the axle centerline.
192638 This is the timberwolf swingarm. It's about 14 1/2 inches from centerline to centerline. Its also the same width at the mounting point on both.

Trike_crazy
05-04-2014, 11:30 PM
192639 Here's the timberwolf engine sitting in the dx. Taking the old engine was easy since the top end was missing, but putting in the timberwolf engine in the dx was a pain. Looking back I should've at least taken the starter off. But it's in
192640 The 2 shocks. As you can see the dx shock is longer and bigger in diameter
192641 The timberwolf swingarm actually in the dx. And I was told it wouldn't work lol. Good thing I have too much time on my hands

Trike_crazy
05-04-2014, 11:39 PM
192642 This is the dx with everything bolted up except the shock. With the extra length on the swingarm the shock won't reach the mounting points so a longer mount needs to be fabbed. I'll work on that later but the timberwolf drivetrain is in the dx
I have a few other loose ends to finish up but the im pretty happy with how it looks.

MojaveRider
05-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Awesome project! Saving a trike and making good use of a parts quad.

Trike_crazy
05-04-2014, 11:49 PM
Best part about this swap is I now have reverse. Im going to order a DG exhaust for it since the exhaust from both the trike and the quad are in bad shape. Plus I wanna unleash all the power this beast has lol

Trike_crazy
05-04-2014, 11:57 PM
The funniest part about this whole thing is a guy driving by the house seen the timberwolf sitting outside my garage and stopped to ask if I wanted to get rid of what was left. I said sure, take it. He goes to on to ask about the rearend because he needs one for his timberwolf and by this time its already in the dx and he says to me "Why would you take apart a four wheeler to fix a 3 wheeler", And I say "Because I can". He just kinda looks at me and says he'll be back to pick up the timberwolf later on.

Trike_crazy
05-05-2014, 05:18 AM
I'll post more pics once I fab up a new shock mount and clean her up.

Blown 331
05-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Thats awesome. I wasn't aware those models were so similar, sounds like several nice upgrades. I had a pair of 225DXs and they were almost too light in the front end for hill climbing, nice wheelies though! That swing arm should help with that.
I've bought 3 mid 80s Polaris Trail Boss 4 wheelers to use as parts for my Polaris 3-wheelers.

Trike_crazy
05-05-2014, 08:56 AM
10 inch wheels with 4 lugs hubs, reverse, and a bit over 2 inches of extra swingarm length was worth it. No to mention the little bit of extra ground clearance from the rear brake being inside the right wheel.

Blown 331
05-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Nice 78/79 Ford. I've got a couple including a 77 F-150 4x4 460 4-speed. I redid that one inside and out and a buddy put a super slick paint job on it.

Trike_crazy
05-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Thanks, I have also have a 1977 Crewcab that will be bringing me to Trike Fest192659 It's my baby lol

DohcBikes
05-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Cool project man been wanting to do this for a while!

Is the t-wolf rear gearing the same? Not important but I'm curious what the top speed comparison will be like.

ONEBAD350X
05-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Nice job!! Very interesting

Trike_crazy
05-05-2014, 10:47 AM
I haven't got to ride it yet. Im waiting to get the carb kit and tie up a few loose ends like brake cables and the choke cable. I also have to make new mounts for the foot pegs because they are so rusted and bent that they have to be replaced. To tell ya the truth I've never ridden a dx before so this should be fun

Trike_crazy
05-05-2014, 02:01 PM
BTW, the stator wiring on the timberwolf engine plugged right into my dx wiring. Ive read that the plugs are different but not the case with this one. Maybe they are pinned different? The timberwolf engine was a 93

Trike_crazy
05-09-2014, 05:23 PM
192964 Got some new parts in the mail. DG exhaust pipe, front and back brake cables, the shifter for the timberwolf engine and a good used battery box and grab bar

86T3
05-09-2014, 06:03 PM
You need to find a stock dx or dr and compare the power/speed. This is really awesome, i abolutely loved the dr i used to have and wouldnt mind finding a project once all my others are completed

JasonB
05-09-2014, 08:53 PM
man thats really cool! way to go utilizing newer parts to bring the DX back! Never been a fan of those model of Yami's but it sounds like you made some nice upgrades that anyone could appreciate, nice work!

350xorbust
05-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Well done...u saved another one...props!!

Trike_crazy
05-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Its fun building these the way I want them. I have 2 other dx225's that im gonna build another good runner out of and maybe compare the 2. Or if I can get this one done by TF maybe someone will wanna race? :D

czac
05-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Wow! Looks pretty cool, now it needs a tri z front end... lol
Does the extra 2+ inches makes it handle any better and if its more stable. Also, doing the swap, did you use your old drive shaft or did you have to use the Timber wolf's? wouldn't the shaft need to be longer now? there was a guy here who re did his DX for his wife and I believe he lengthened his swing arm 3+ inches but never went into how he did it though. Your YTM 250 DXTW looks great though.

Trike_crazy
05-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Czac, I used the t-wolf drive shaft when I swapped everything over. Basically i have a 3 wheeled timberwolf now. I even used the timberwolf brake levelers, rear hand brake cable, throttle cable, choke cable and taillight on the DX. Right now I trying to make a bracket to hold the t-wolf foot lever and rod to work the rear brakes since the DX brake cable looks to be too short. I ordered an 06 yfz450 rear shock to see if it is an option for my rear suspension issue and im having a few pieces of plate steel cut in case all else fails an i have to use the stock dx shock. at this point I'm not worried so much about the suspension performance as just having it rideable

czac
05-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Czac, I used the t-wolf drive shaft when I swapped everything over. Basically i have a 3 wheeled timberwolf now. I even used the timberwolf brake levelers, rear hand brake cable, throttle cable, choke cable

so does the choke cable reach from the carb up to the dash board? Im having a heck of a time finding one for the DX... anyone I can find looks to be in about the same shape as the one I have but they want crazy money for it so I took a chance and bought one that looked good from another quad, I forget what though, anyhow, its too short! lol

Eric250R
05-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Cool upgrade man, good job !!

Trike_crazy
05-13-2014, 09:11 PM
The timberwolf choke cable fits the dx. I used part # 4BD-26331-00-00. I picked mine up on ebay for $33.15. On another note I got it fired up after finding out that the flywheel key was sheared. It sounds pretty mean but I still have to tie a few more loose ends before it's completely rideable. The anticipation is killing me!

Trike_crazy
05-24-2014, 04:24 PM
I had a guy at my work cut out my new shock brackets.
194245 They turned out pretty good I think.
194109 Here's the brackets after I drilled and bent them to fit the shock. I ended up just using the stock shock since it seems to be in good shape.
194110 It's finally sitting on it's own! Its right about stock ride height where I have it now.

Trike_crazy
06-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Ok just a little update,

My original foot peg mounts were really messed up. One was bent and the other one broke off the frame (with help from a hammer trying to bend it back). So I set about making new frame mounts out of some metal tubing I had laying around. I think they are looking pretty good. I only have one ready to get welded on but the other side isn't far behind.
This is the way the foot pegs looked before
this is the other side after cutting off the mount and grinding down the weld
Mount being made.
And the finished mount. Now I just need to finish the other side and weld them on

Trike_crazy
06-09-2014, 02:38 PM
I got the new peg mounts welded on last night and took it on ride for the first time with both foot pegs, lol. I love my Hondas but this thing is pretty awesome. It'll stand up in the first 3 gears even with the longer swingarm. Just a few odds and ends and It'll be ready for Trikefest! :beer

the great gazoo
06-10-2014, 04:04 PM
That is hella cool, man! You hear about this swap here & there from folks but nobody went into such detail with the pics & information like you did. I'm/we're really impressed, keep up the good work!

Trike_crazy
06-12-2014, 12:17 AM
I just liked the thought of doing something other then a honda. Don't get me wrong, hondas make up most of what I own but it was nice to break away from them and build this yamaha. This is only one of 2 I have but the other is just stock dx225. There will be more to come as I purchase more parts. Future upgrades will hopefully be a tt225 carb and intake, a webcams camshaft, a pod air filter and maybe some different tires.

Trike_crazy
09-08-2014, 08:57 AM
So this dx has been running/riding very well since I got it finished a few months ago. It has become my go to ride. Only thing I would do now is rebuild the forks and replace the rear shock with a better one. If all goes well for next year and I don't have Annual Training right before or during trikefest you will see this at the MX races lol

czac
09-08-2014, 09:05 AM
it would be really sweet with a tri z front end!! lol .

jb2wheels
09-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Pretty cool project.

I'm not a Yamaha expert at all - if I hadn't read all this, I would just think that's a nice looking DX.

Derrick Adams
09-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Great job on this one! I have been telling people that these bikes are the perfect trail bikes once you stretch the swingarms. I love ours so much I'm building two more of them right now!

M.Pargiello
09-08-2014, 07:53 PM
This is a really cool read! Nice work for sure

Makes me want to find one one day. I didn't ride Derricks, but spent plenty of time staring at it a few times haha

Trike_crazy
09-09-2014, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys for all of the positive comments. I really hope to upgrade and modify it just a bit more. I've been looking for a tt225/ttr225 carburetor and intake without much luck. The stock carburetor is 24-26mm? And a tt225 carburetor is 32mm, I believe it should fit. Also might do a cam swap and a pod filter if I get a carburetor. Then by running a pod filter I could ditch the stock airbox and run a better rear shock with some type of reservoir.

Czac, I would love to do a tri-z front end on mine. I may try to pick one up in the future but until then the stock forks getting rebuilt will be good enough. I love the way yours looks with the skinny front tire

matgod
09-09-2014, 06:10 AM
Great Job mate looks really good.

Derrick Adams
09-09-2014, 09:07 PM
I use the 06-up YFZ shock on ours and it's awesome. Almost perfect. I run the short intake coming off the back of the carb with a small exhaust adaptor to a 1 3/4" pod filter. Our swinger is stretched 3" but I'm sure it would work on yours as well.

czac
09-10-2014, 07:59 AM
I use the 06-up YFZ shock on ours and it's awesome. Almost perfect. I run the short intake coming off the back of the carb with a small exhaust adaptor to a 1 3/4" pod filter. Our swinger is stretched 3" but I'm sure it would work on yours as well.

Derrick, does the YZ rear shock fit right on or is there any modding involved? will it fit with the stock air box on the trike? I love the one you made for your wife, it looks bad trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro!
how's the swing arm working? any issues with it?

czac
09-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys for all of the positive comments.

Czac, I would love to do a tri-z front end on mine. I may try to pick one up in the future but until then the stock forks getting rebuilt will be good enough. I love the way yours looks with the skinny front tire

Thanks, yeah it makes a pretty good sized difference in the ride and the ride height. The front tire is a 25" tall one so its a bit on the tall side but with the 22" rear wheels back on and the 3" wheel spacers added it sitting a lot nicer. the tri z front end is the way to go. I just wish there was just a little bit more of a rake to the front end, I think it would look nicer...lol anyone ever make a chopper out of one of these? lol

Trike_crazy
11-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Just a little update on my wolf in dx clothing. I finally picked up a 3x100 aluminum front wheel and a set of 400ex wheels for the rear of my dx. I had to purchase a set of wheel spacers because the bell of the wheel hit the drum on my timberwolf swingarm. But it worked out since I wanted to widen the rear anyways. It should be ready to ride in a few days when the spacers come in so I will update in a few days.

Trike_crazy
02-16-2016, 01:19 PM
I have to say that the wheel spacers and lightweight aluminum wheels have made a big difference in the way this thing drives/handles. I'm looking at have some 10x6 red label wheels made in the 3x100 bolt pattern for better front tire options though.