PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you sick

briano
04-30-2014, 03:34 PM
So yesterday at lunch I was tinkering with my newly acquired 1974 atc70 and the Matco tool guy pulls in. He was a mechanic at our local honda dealer before starting with Matco several months ago. The dealership moved to a new location when he was still there and he said there was a bunch of new tires for the 70s and a new gas tank still in the box. I asked who do I need to talk to for purchasing these parts. They threw all of that old crap away he tells me. A new tank in the box and 10 tires that haven't sold in years just went in the dumpster. He said there was a bunch of stuff that just got tossed because it sat on the shelf for years and they didn't want it taking up space in the new shop. I could have cried, he said nobody there had any interest in the stuff so now it's long gone. I'm going to call around to some other dealers within a few hours drive and see if there are any old trike parts that nobody wants. Maybe there are some old jewels just waiting to be found out there yet.

slashfan7964
04-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Wow, that is pretty sad.

The trike scene is decent around here. I know a few shops that have ran trikes religiously in the past that would never dream of doing that. It's unfortunate, but we need to accept that this stuff happens, and won't ever go away. This happens with anything.

fabiodriven
04-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Oh yeah, happens all the time. Dealers love throwing away old NOS parts that are worth more than ever. Very rarely do dealers know anything about selling parts, it's not like they're in business to make money or anything.

If I don't know someone personally, I take their stories with a grain of salt. I've met people that see what you're into and then they make up a story having to do with said interest in order to attempt to relate to you. Many times it's obvious they're full of it but occasionally they're being honest. If they can't prove it, whatever.I have a close friend that tells stories that are fact based, but you have to learn to read through the BS to get the real picture. I learned this by asking him details, as he is an honest person and will tell you the truth if you ask him. However he does embellish and chooses to leave out important details that either make or break the story, whichever he needs right then.

Basically that's my long way of telling you I think your buddy is full of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro.

slashfan7964
04-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Oh yeah, happens all the time. Dealers love throwing away old NOS parts that are worth more than ever. Very rarely do dealers know anything about selling parts, it's not like they're in business to make money or anything.

Well you have to remember that some people who aren't in the trike scene just don't know.

NeverLift
04-30-2014, 04:46 PM
I've got one for you.

I attended MMI Orlando in 2003-04. In one of our classes they had about 20 ATC250R engines and a parts room with everything to fix them to teach 2-stroke engine disassembly/assembly. All the engines were missing washers, clips, snap rings and whatever else. The instructor was a Harley guy and didn't give a crap if any of the student actually assembled them to working order. It was a 3 week class and after 1 week me and my room mate were done with all the class work. So we made it our goal to complete every 250R motor they had. Buy the end of the class we burned through most the parts they had and every motor was complete and torqued to spec. It was a fun 2 weeks. NOW FOR THE PART THAT MAID ME WANT TO PUKE! I was a few weeks away from graduation and was walking around the building and see one of the employees taking a plasma to every one of those engines DESTROYED EVERY ONE OF THEM. I talked to the guy and their contract with Honda said anything donated to the school MUST be destroyed when they are done using them. If I had to guess they were probably all 87 engines to.

Thanks for bringing up this memory.

slashfan7964
04-30-2014, 05:09 PM
GAH. That was hard to read, but it's true. It's a liability thing, and they don't want to be held responsible if one of them gets out and somehow someone gets hurt and tries to sue.

Chrysler just went through this with the Dodge Viper after prototypes donated to various tech schools made it onto the road (uncorked, unsafe and whatnot) and one was wrecked. Chrysler found out, and demanded all of them be destroyed which led to public outrage.

Dirtcrasher
04-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Uggh, what a shame..........

Ghostv2
04-30-2014, 06:09 PM
My first chew was in 7th grade band class. Skoal peach and it made me sick. To this day anything that smells like it makes me sick. I chewed tobacco for the next 10 years or so and still could not stomach the scent of it.

Off topic yes, but it makes me sick. Just like anyone that destroys perfectly good trike parts.

DohcBikes
04-30-2014, 06:57 PM
+1 on the MMI story. Some of our instructors were cooler than others, nuff said on that point......

Many of the bikes at the phoenix campus have 5-20 actual miles, and they all get destroyed when the school doesn't want them anymore. Granted, they'd need rebuilt fully by competent mechanics due to the molestation that occurs there, but I'll never forget the rows of Vulcan 2000's, zx10's, etc. that were destined for a scrapper before they ever hit the road.

Ya its not trike related but it still hurts :cry::lol:

Afrothunderkat
04-30-2014, 09:33 PM
My buddy ran into a guy who trashed 3 ATC 90s. His reason was "Didn't think anyone was still running those"

I can only imagine some of the awesome stuff thats been tossed because everyone's all about black plastics, hole shots and monster stickers.

slashfan7964
04-30-2014, 10:34 PM
My buddy ran into a guy who trashed 3 ATC 90s. His reason was "Didn't think anyone was still running those"

I can only imagine some of the awesome stuff thats been tossed because everyone's all about black plastics, hole shots and monster stickers.

I should have saved my neighbors 90 when I had the chance. Stupid me, I was young and a moron and had no idea what I was looking at.

Grrrrrr.

just ben
05-01-2014, 01:10 AM

I can only imagine some of the awesome stuff thats been tossed because everyone's all about black plastics, hole shots and monster stickers.See post #3

fabiodriven
05-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Back when I was big into Tecates I used to leave frames on the side of the road to be picked up for scrap. I had Tecates coming at me from every angle and would strip them and keep everything else. I had an extra frame or two on hand so I'd just toss the rest. Now I see people getting a C note for 'em, not to mention how wasteful that was. Honestly I didn't know better.

atc007
05-01-2014, 07:45 AM
I've got one for you.

I attended MMI Orlando in 2003-04. In one of our classes they had about 20 ATC250R engines and a parts room with everything to fix them to teach 2-stroke engine disassembly/assembly. All the engines were missing washers, clips, snap rings and whatever else. The instructor was a Harley guy and didn't give a crap if any of the student actually assembled them to working order. It was a 3 week class and after 1 week me and my room mate were done with all the class work. So we made it our goal to complete every 250R motor they had. Buy the end of the class we burned through most the parts they had and every motor was complete and torqued to spec. It was a fun 2 weeks. NOW FOR THE PART THAT MAID ME WANT TO PUKE! I was a few weeks away from graduation and was walking around the building and see one of the employees taking a plasma to every one of those engines DESTROYED EVERY ONE OF THEM. I talked to the guy and their contract with Honda said anything donated to the school MUST be destroyed when they are done using them. If I had to guess they were probably all 87 engines to.

Thanks for bringing up this memory.
Sounds like textbook MMI to me!! What a shame,,for dealers,and for those donations..

BOB MARLIN
05-01-2014, 09:06 AM
"Dune cut" or "Race cut" OEM fenders makes me sick. Or the guys who throw out a good set of OEM 250r bars and replace them with a set of Dirt bike bars that don't even fit right and look way out of place on a trike.

DohcBikes
05-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Sounds like textbook MMI to me!! What a shame,,for dealers,and for those donations..
Well i hate to defend the politics of MMI trust me,

but actually its the manufacturers themselves that impose the scrap orders on the engines and machines at MMI.

cap
05-01-2014, 11:12 AM
The local scraper who cut up a 250SX, I found out after he was advertising some parts on CL. I asked how much for whole bike and he starts ummmhh,ummh well the frame has been cut.. ARRGGH.

TrickShot
05-01-2014, 11:07 PM
GAH. That was hard to read, but it's true. It's a liability thing, and they don't want to be held responsible if one of them gets out and somehow someone gets hurt and tries to sue.

Chrysler just went through this with the Dodge Viper after prototypes donated to various tech schools made it onto the road (uncorked, unsafe and whatnot) and one was wrecked. Chrysler found out, and demanded all of them be destroyed which led to public outrage.

Wow, I had to investigate that and sure enough Vipers are to be destroyed. What a shame this is a video showing a 92 Viper with a vin of 4 to be crushed.
:mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Wr5fo58r8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Wr5fo58r8