PDA

View Full Version : 185s stock/compatible carb

TwoBobRob
04-28-2014, 06:51 AM
My 185s runs a little odd.....

I have a tiny split in the inlet, so I know this has to be addressed first but that aside it has some random (presumably Chinese) carb on it. From searching on here a fair bit prior to posting I've learnt a couple of things so far;

The fuel screw (mounted vertically on the inlet side on this carb) has no O ring, washer or spring. It seems that most if not all do, so this one should?

Needle positions seem to vary a fair bit also.

I understand there's no point me trying tune anything before I replace the inlet but I did look at the needle position and it's currently set at the top ie low needle. However, my bet would be that this engine runs rich, despite the inlet split.

I'm not overly keen to keep this carb - it looks absolutely brand new so I assume the previous owner stuck it on prior to selling it. Can someone recommend to me the right brand name carb to suit a completely stock 185s? Not necessarily OE, but a carb that is known to work nicely on one of these things...

Also, the inlet - do we just have a choice of one, or are there other compatible ones out there that work well?

Thanks in advance

Rob.

JustEnough
04-28-2014, 11:06 AM
I have found this document to be the best reference for what stock carb and settings match the engine model:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5467500970_2fbfc676cd_b.jpg

TwoBobRob
04-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks for that, some useful info there :)