PDA

View Full Version : CHAINs new little toy ATC 70 UPDATED and done!

CHAINSAW
01-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Its an 84, and from my untrained eye.. looks to be complete. I was gonna make it a mini me version of my Old R.. flames, skulls, everything. Once I saw it in person I have changed my mind.. so its gonna be a restoration back to stocker look.

I am needing a good carb.. anyone have one laying around?

Here she is.. very dirty,.. but will soon be cleaned and running good.
http://casketcrewsnipers.hypermart.net/701.jpg
http://casketcrewsnipers.hypermart.net/702.jpg

mymint87
01-07-2004, 12:06 AM
jsut remember that most xr50 mods will slap right on there....i.e. footpegs, exhaust pipe..i'm thinking about mods and custom paint for mine....make it a lil pit crusier

CHAINSAW
01-07-2004, 12:11 AM
How about the motor stuff?? Like those cool little billet add-ons in D.K.??? I cant do a total stock, perfect restoration like Vintage Man, I gotta add a few touches of my own!! hehe

If any of you 70 guys have any advice..please help me out here. Ive wanted one of these since I was 2, and this is my first. I know nothing about them.

davham
01-07-2004, 12:23 AM
There were some really trick 70's on a post here a while back. You should check them out. I wouldn't mind having one of those, be great to chase the nieghborhood kids/animals.

KASEY
01-07-2004, 01:01 AM
DUDE !!! you got a complete carb clean it and use it !!! they bring big bucks and i don't think you need it!!!!! WELCOME to the 70's club !!!!!

42F67N
01-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Lotta headaches them 70s are lol

CHAINSAW
01-07-2004, 08:49 AM
DUDE !!! you got a complete carb clean it and use it !!! they bring big bucks and i don't think you need it!!!!! WELCOME to the 70's club !!!!!

Okay, Ill see what I can do. According to the previous owner, he said it needed new floats and a rebuild. Im not sure how mechanically enclined he is, so Ill probably tear into it today and try to find the problem. From the little I have read so far about them.. its the same problem they all have.. turn the gas on, and it keep on coming and overflows the carb and floods it out.

jenndnn3
01-07-2004, 10:35 AM
I swear to god, every motor that didnt run right all previous owner said hey its just the carb, needs rebuild LOL..........Yeah Chain, they all do that. (including the mini50 we just drug home). Its truley no big deal except that the tiniest of spec of dirt can create the biggest of hells on these little buggers. Just as kasey said thorough cleaning..but dont just stop at carb clean lines, tank and petcock. Congrats on the 70. A nice straight frame by the looks of it.

TimSr
01-07-2004, 11:07 AM
I swear to god, every motor that didnt run right all previous owner said hey its just the carb, needs rebuild LOL......

LOL!! I gave up responding to those. The biggest useless gimmick being sold today is "carburetor rebuild kits" How much gasoline has to pass through a piece of brass to ream the hole bigger? A couple of lifetimes, maybe? There are only two parts of a carb Ive ever seen wear. The throttle slide on my Z has half the chrome wore off, which (surprise) is not included in any rebuild kit anyways, and they have to get awful bad to cause any problems. The other is the float needle, which is usually rubber tipped, and does wear out eventually causing the bowl to overflow, but usually only when its sitting with teh gas on and not running.

One spec of sand is all it takes to plug a tiny hole, and I have yet to see one that cant be corrected with a little compressed air. I use carb cleaner, but admittedly, usually the clog is caused by something (sand) that carb cleaner wont disolve, and its the pressurized fuid blowing it out thats the actual fix. Car carbs had lots of moving and rubber parts, and needed "rebuilt". Most bike and ATV carbs are a lot simpler, and simply dont have much than can ever wear out, and the things that do wear, usually only result in leakage of fuel rather than affecting performance.

Tyler 54
01-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Wow man, that is a great find. Witha little work, that baby could be a "Gleamer"
Good luck, and as everybody does on these HAVE FUN!!

stonehedge
01-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Rebuild, I just go new, easy, cheap, no hassles, I must have 10 or 15 old 70 carbs in the shop? Better throw those on ebay, had no idea they were worth anything. But thats a nice little 70 you got there. Any SoCal folks ever have an atc 70 they don't want, I will pay cash and pick up, any cond. any time. Those billet add on parts for the most part do fit on the 70's.

J.D.
01-07-2004, 01:11 PM
I swear to god, every motor that didnt run right all previous owner said hey its just the carb, needs rebuild LOL......

LOL!! I gave up responding to those. The biggest useless gimmick being sold today is "carburetor rebuild kits" How much gasoline has to pass through a piece of brass to ream the hole bigger? A couple of lifetimes, maybe? There are only two parts of a carb Ive ever seen wear. The throttle slide on my Z has half the chrome wore off, which (surprise) is not included in any rebuild kit anyways, and they have to get awful bad to cause any problems. The other is the float needle, which is usually rubber tipped, and does wear out eventually causing the bowl to overflow, but usually only when its sitting with teh gas on and not running.

One spec of sand is all it takes to plug a tiny hole, and I have yet to see one that cant be corrected with a little compressed air. I use carb cleaner, but admittedly, usually the clog is caused by something (sand) that carb cleaner wont disolve, and its the pressurized fuid blowing it out thats the actual fix. Car carbs had lots of moving and rubber parts, and needed "rebuilt". Most bike and ATV carbs are a lot simpler, and simply dont have much than can ever wear out, and the things that do wear, usually only result in leakage of fuel rather than affecting performance.

I'm glad somebody else can see this besides me! Why pay 15, 16, 17 bucks for a rebuild kit there's nothing to rebuild. All you do is take the bowl off spray it real good with carb cleaner or compressed air make sure the valve comes in and out when you move the floats your done. I think I'm gonna start an ATV carb rebuilding shop. I'll charge 10 bucks a carb hahahah!

CHAINSAW
01-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Well I tore it down to the frame tonight. I washed through all the dirt and built up grime. You would not believe how clean and nice this thing was underneath all the dirt. I dont think its been washed.. ever!
I got a hell of deal I think, now that I have it stripped down and Im looking at whats there. Frame is straight as an arrow, no dents in the tank. Only flaw is the rear fender is a little chewed on the back edge, but no biggie.
I tore the carb apart to, and it DOES need a rebuild kit. The gaskets are shot, and a thing that I dont know the name of is broken.. lol I do really need the little spring for the choke though.. I hope it comes with the kit.

CHAINSAW
01-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Its pretty much done, except for waiting on the recoil spring for the pull start. Here are a few pics of the tear down to.

There are the stickers from Harlen I was referring to.. look at how perfect they match o.e.m.

http://casketcrewsnipers.hypermart.net/7011.jpg
http://casketcrewsnipers.hypermart.net/7022.jpg
http://casketcrewsnipers.hypermart.net/703.jpg
http://casketcrewsnipers.hypermart.net/704.jpg
http://casketcrewsnipers.hypermart.net/705.jpg

droopie31
01-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Hey chain.....is that the 70 that was on ebay a couple times....it was in garden city i think....is it that one? I was thinkin bout biddin on it but didn't have any cash! lol

Drew

CHAINSAW
01-18-2004, 05:38 PM
yeah.. same one. I was after him since I first saw it, but he was always wanting to much for it. I gave him a call a few weeks ago and asked if he still had it, and what he wanted cash for it right now.. He went down from the $350 - $400 range to $250, so I went and picked it up.

I wish I would of called him a month sooner.. he had 2 running 85 Tri Zs he parted out.

plkmonster2
01-19-2004, 04:19 AM
looking great chainsaw!! its amazing how simple the 70 is though. Nothing to it really.

350Xccelerator
01-19-2004, 02:39 PM
looks awesome man! what kind of paint did you use on the rims?

CHAINSAW
01-19-2004, 05:24 PM
PJI silver.. It matched pretty damn close to original.

350Xccelerator
01-28-2004, 10:32 PM
did you just sand and then paint em?

CHAINSAW
01-29-2004, 02:31 PM
I just buffed them up with a scotch pad..