PDA

View Full Version : Changin one-way bearing on the 250sx. what service items should be checked?

MRSOUND
04-21-2014, 03:06 PM
1st gen R won't be ready for TF so I want to get my SX trail reliable. First up is changing the worn out one-way bearing. All the tell tale signs, kicker slip, spooling on shut off, & clunk. Read through a dozen threads on how to replace this (I think half the replies were Barnett LOL) and I'm pretty sure I got a handle what to do (& service manual ready!). My question is what else should I being checking for wear while I'm in there? I will be checking the clutch for wear to see if they are in spec but other than that are there any other serviceable items (gears, springs, etc) I should be checking for wear/replacement while I got her cracked open? Bearing, gasket, and oil filter on the way already.

Flyingw
04-21-2014, 03:16 PM
While the clutch cover is off, you might as well put some fresh clutch plates in the tranny clutch. The centrifugal clutch is a separate clutch and it takes a set of shoes. You have to take the centrifugal clutch nut off anyway to replace the one way bearing so you might as well give it a fresh clutch. The clutch shoes are a wear item but they are a long wear item but if you don't know if they have ever been changed, you might as well do it. Both clutches need a 27mm socket. Use an impact to get the nuts off. The centrifugal clutch nut is reverse thread. Be sure to remove the dip stick to remove and install the clutch cover.

MRSOUND
04-21-2014, 03:30 PM
The manual calls for a clutch disc thickness of .103-.109. Obviously if they are out of spec I'll replace but at what spec (in tolerance) and below would you replace them anyway? I have know idea whether they were replaced before or not till I get inside.

Flyingw
04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
My thought is if you're going to go the work of opening up the clutch basket, you might as well put some fresh plates in there and be done with it for a while regardless of wear.

MRSOUND
04-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Probably right....Read in one of the threads to pre-soak new clutches in oil before installing. Is this to prevent a "dry" engagement at first start up or is there another reason/

Flyingw
04-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Oh ya, always put new plates and shoes in wet, never dry.

Lambo200s
09-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Just curious. I am about to do this to my 250sx. Springs, plates (friction and steal plates), one way, and checking the centrifugal while at it. I think i have read enough threads to understand it best to replace parts in centrifugal as well, just to be done with it while you go that far in to the job. What brands do you suggests if not going with oem? I'm getting oem friction plates and other parts on bike bandit but they do not seem to carry oem springs. EBC? Barnett?