PDA

View Full Version : something fell out of 85 250es big red

greythorn3
04-20-2014, 01:32 AM
I was taking my ledt side cover off my big red and something clunked out of it onto the ground was clean so i assume it came from the inside of engine. anyone know what it is? big red was running fine, i was just taking it off because of a oil leak to reseal it up.

sure does look like something ive seen somewhere before in other vehicles. i cant remember what its for tho or if it even needs to go in the bigred somewhere, looks broken on thread side

honda4h
04-20-2014, 02:14 AM
that's a pin for your shifter spring is your shifter sloppy or have play

greythorn3
04-20-2014, 04:07 AM
that's a pin for your shifter spring is your shifter sloppy or have play

thats a good question, im not the original owner, but i dont think it has any more play then i would expect. it does stick down sometimes, and i have to pull it back up with my heel. when using reverse and 1

where does it go at? where can i get one that is in better condition?

greythorn3
04-20-2014, 04:24 AM
honda part 24652-HA0-000

just ordered one on ebay, now to figure out where to put it, i have a feeling i will need to drill and easy out whats left of this one, when i can find out where it goes.

Flyingw
04-20-2014, 05:17 AM
Not likely. The busted off stud should be very easy to turn out of the hole.

Flyingw
04-20-2014, 05:26 AM
When you replace the pin, you will need to pull the shift shaft but you need to be very careful. Lay the trike over on the right side and carefully pull the shift shaft out noting its position. Replace the pin and slowly and carefully slide the shift shaft back in. There is an arm on the right side of the tranny under the clutch cover that slips on to the right end of the shift shaft. It shouldn't move out of position if you are careful and will slip back on to the shift shaft when you reinstall it. Use thread locker on the pin threads.

greythorn3
04-20-2014, 01:09 PM
When you replace the pin, you will need to pull the shift shaft but you need to be very careful. Lay the trike over on the right side and carefully pull the shift shaft out noting its position. Replace the pin and slowly and carefully slide the shift shaft back in. There is an arm on the right side of the tranny under the clutch cover that slips on to the right end of the shift shaft. It shouldn't move out of position if you are careful and will slip back on to the shift shaft when you reinstall it. Use thread locker on the pin threads.

that shaft came out when i pulled the cover off already. i guess thats when the pin thing fell out.i just slid it back in, hope its in the right thing it had to go in, i will have to take it out and replace that pin when it comes in the mail.

honda4h
04-21-2014, 01:01 PM
i have replaced some shift shafts on big reds and sx not knowing about the arm years ago and never had a issue of one falling down. that's not to say the arm wont fall down.

greythorn3
04-25-2014, 08:57 PM
i have replaced some shift shafts on big reds and sx not knowing about the arm years ago and never had a issue of one falling down. that's not to say the arm wont fall down.

well got it all back togeather except for the shift seal, ordred the wrong one, some huge seal came..

waiting on a new one then i can reinstall the gear shift.

moved on to the rear end, the wheel bearings are shot. i just ordred new bearings and seals for the outer axles.. its a early big red june of 84 made.

brake drum dont look so good, gonna try to smooth it out with emery cloth, since i got new shoes and a cable.

greythorn3
05-04-2014, 04:10 AM
well all back togeather, along with new bearings and brakes front and rear! happy on the first ride on it again today! man these new kenda bear paws on the rear are rough riding.