PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Paint

IronBear
04-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Hello,

I'm picking up a 1986 Honda 350X and would like to know what your recommendations are for exhaust paint. The exhaust has some light surface rust, and I would like to make it look like it came out of the factory, with the same flat black finish :)

Any recommendations on paint and the steps you would perform would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
IronBear

86125m
04-09-2014, 02:37 PM
My favorate exhaust paint is VHT super high heat engine enamle. what I like to do when I painting an exhaust pipe is take my corded electric drill and put a wire brush attachement on it get as much of the old paint and rust off as possible. After that fix any holes with jb weld and sand it flat don't worry the jb weld will hold up to the heat. Then paint it let it dry it wont take but a few minutes to dry and put the exhuast on and folllow the curring instructions on the can it really does help the paint stay new looking.

BOB MARLIN
04-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Nothing is going to hold up for long in the first 6 or 8 inches of head pipe.

ebaccm26
04-09-2014, 03:16 PM
If you are doing the header it may vary, some bikes just run hotter than others. I use VHT if I am doing the head pipe and have had mostly good results. If you are only talking muffler then just use the cheap grill paint, I have never had an issue with it burning off of a muffler. You might also consider high temp powdercoat, very durable in my experience.

IronBear
04-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Thank you for your input guys, it's both the muffler and header pipe. Since I like doing my own work, what I'll do is clean up the exhaust with a wire brush (like 86125m suggested), then pick up a couple cans of VHT paint, and try my hand at it. :)

If I'm not satisfied with the results, then I'll resort to the high temp powdercoat, but I'll need to find someone who does powdercoating.

JasonB
04-09-2014, 03:20 PM
I have heard that bar b q grill paint is where it's at. Prep would probably just be some stripped to get the rest of the old paint off the pipe then sand it with some progressively lighter sand paper and then give it a few coats after you wipe it down with something like alcohol to prep the surface

86125m
04-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Now its a wirebrush that goes on the end of your drill like a grinding pad. I can't think of the proper name right now. And you will only need one can. And it has held up on my headpipe and has been on my bike for about a year now.

UPNATM
04-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Bbq paint is what I used, and yeah if you prep the area real well, it should hold up just fine. I only had a couple of spots burn off on the rear part of the header, where it meats the exhaust pipe, and it was probably because of bad prep on my part. Up front where the header meets the head has not burned off at all yet.

Flyingw
04-09-2014, 09:38 PM
I have tried many types of paint and coatings and regular ole spray BBQ paint seems to hold up the best even on the head pipe. 1800 deg ceramic is preferred on the head pipes but in lieu of that, BBQ paint is second best. Its easy to touch up, dries fast, and no primer is required.

IronBear
04-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Thanks again guys! I've used the good ole wire brush a while back when cleaning up carbon build up on valve seats.

I'll pick a wire brush this weekend, along with the VHT paint. If that paint doesn't work, I'll then try the BBQ paint.

I appreciate the responses as I'm no painter by any means, but I'll do my best :)