PDA

View Full Version : Need help,1984 Yamaha ytm 200 wont start

niftylittleguy
04-08-2014, 09:25 PM
I bought a 1984 ytm200 about 4 months ago for $200, it came with the original manual and reciept when the guy purchased in 1984 which was pretty cool because all of my other bikes have no papers. It is in good shape all original the plastics are in great shape. The guy told me that it has been sitting for the last 5 years. I got it home and cleaned the air filter and changed the gas. I then took off the carb and the carb was extremely dirty it had a yellow color on the inside that was stuck to the sides of the carb. All the jets were plugged. I took the jets out and cleaned them and tried to get rid of most of the yellow stuff. I put the bike back together and it still would not start. I gave it some starting fluid and it started but it would not idle it only stayed running when i was on the throttle. When i let the bike it die it would not start back up. I'm pretty sure it needs a new carb or a carb rebuild but i cant find any where to get the stuff. When i bought the bike i thought it wasnt going to be hard to get parts because my past bikes have all been hondas. So if anyone can let me know what is wrong with the bike or where i could get the carb rebuild for a cheaper price PLease let me know. Also does anyone know how much these kind of bikes are worth because i live in north New Jersey and it is hard to find atc up here.
-Thanks

CRAZY70MAN
04-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Clogged pilot jet would be my guess..........if that carb was yellow and gummed up inside....you had better soak it a few days and clean it right or buy another...... Take it off and soak it in some evaporust or carb cleaner of your choice....

niftylittleguy
04-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Clogged pilot jet would be my guess..........if that carb was yellow and gummed up inside....you had better soak it a few days and clean it right or buy another...... Take it off and soak it in some evaporust or carb cleaner of your choice....

I know there was one really small jet that i was unable to clean, the hole was really small and i was unable to clean it. Ill soak it and hopefully it softens everything up.

emmie357
04-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I used a Yamaha timberwolf kit to rebuild my carb. All the seals and gaskets are the same (if you need them), only the jetting is different.
But a soak should clean the jets out.

niftylittleguy
04-08-2014, 09:47 PM
I used a Yamaha timberwolf kit to rebuild my carb. All the seals and gaskets are the same (if you need them), only the jetting is different.
But a soak should clean the jets out.

What year timberwolf carb kit did you use 92-98?

emmie357
04-09-2014, 07:10 AM
What year timberwolf carb kit did you use 92-98?

According to my ebay feed, it was a 92-95 kit. Not sure what the difference in years is, but they all lokk to have the same gaskets. This kit came with the wrong size pilot and main jet, but I used everything else out of it, and it was only $13 shipped.