PDA

View Full Version : 1984 250 Kawasaki Tecate how much?

niftylittleguy
04-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Im going to go look at this 1984 250 tecate and i dont know alot about it. The guy said that it is currently not running because it sat all winter and needs a carb cleaned or some starting fluid. It has after market rims on the rear the front rim is not on yet. If you could let me know anything i should look out for when i am going to go look at it. Also let me know how much it is worth.

slashfan7964
04-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Red Tecates are pretty rare from what I understand. I'd take it, running or not. Not running? Low ball him and then come up slowly. I'd start at $600 since it looks to be in decent shape but doesn't run. I wouldn't pay more than $1k if it don't run though, and that's only if I knew how to fix it.

nd4speed
04-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Depends on the market and well what all is missing and what it needs. Appears the new rims are also steel? So guy bought heavy steel rims to replace perfectly fine heavy steel rims? And then put what look like big heavy utility tires that remind me of tires that came stock on a Yamaha 225YFM.

Front head light and radiator guard appear missing.

Looks all stock but missing the stickers and mud flaps? Still for it to be mostly all there like the day it was bought is what I look for along with tool marks on the nuts/ bolts of the motor.

Does everyone who tries to sell a non-running motor pass it off as needing the carb cleaned? I see and hear this so much I just say I would pay you what you are asking if it ran and drove but I have no idea what is wrong with it and I am taking a risk. So you can sign on the bill of sale that you guarantee the motor runs and drives after I clean the carb or you will refund my money. Bought a motor cycle when it was too cold to start. Guy guaranteed it ran on receipt and it did.

Yeah I would start as low as possible and probably not pay more than $700 but that's just me.

Oh and it probably dont start because the stator and/or the flywheel is crapped out. Bring a plug wrench (and new plug) and ask the guy if you can perform a spark test.

atc007
04-07-2014, 11:06 PM
Fairly low hour bike. Figure on flywheel for sure. Most likely is still original and ready to implode. Contact Jswinehart on here to make you a brand new/refurbed flywheel. Kick it over slowly a cpl times and hope the magnets don't grab while you're kicking it lol. Check the compression,listen for any noises etc.. I'm betting the bearings MIGHT still be good. Shake it side to side with your feet on the pegs. There should be zero movement besides the tire flex. Ask for the headlight and guard. Seat is OE,too bad it's torn. And the plastic is OE also. I would let him start with his price,and hope to get out for $500- maybe $650-$675 with it not running. Maybe slightly more. That is a low hour bike...

emmie357
04-08-2014, 06:25 AM
Plastics look a little beat up, you may be able to clean them up but they are near impossible to replace (in red).
You may be able to use that to help lower the price.

niftylittleguy
04-08-2014, 06:47 AM
The guy told me that he kicked it and it started and ran for like 5 seconds, so if thats true than it has spark. Im just worried about the carb incase i am unable to get it right. I bought a 1984 ytm 200 yamaha that was in great shape but sat for 5 years and when i took carb off it was in rough shape and i didnt know parts were hard to come by for the yamahas and kawasakis

niftylittleguy
04-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Depends on the market and well what all is missing and what it needs. Appears the new rims are also steel? So guy bought heavy steel rims to replace perfectly fine heavy steel rims? And then put what look like big heavy utility tires that remind me of tires that came stock on a Yamaha 225YFM.

Front head light and radiator guard appear missing.

Looks all stock but missing the stickers and mud flaps? Still for it to be mostly all there like the day it was bought is what I look for along with tool marks on the nuts/ bolts of the motor.

Does everyone who tries to sell a non-running motor pass it off as needing the carb cleaned? I see and hear this so much I just say I would pay you what you are asking if it ran and drove but I have no idea what is wrong with it and I am taking a risk. So you can sign on the bill of sale that you guarantee the motor runs and drives after I clean the carb or you will refund my money. Bought a motor cycle when it was too cold to start. Guy guaranteed it ran on receipt and it did.

Yeah I would start as low as possible and probably not pay more than $700 but that's just me.

Oh and it probably dont start because the stator and/or the flywheel is crapped out. Bring a plug wrench (and new plug) and ask the guy if you can perform a spark test.

Are you sure these came stock with head lights? Also where is a good place to buy parts for this machine?

jb2wheels
04-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Yes - they had headlights and they're impossible to find and expensive when you do.

One of my 85s would cough and sputter and run for a second or two and ended up needed a stator. $40 and a few hours work but a great bargaining chip.

If the red plastics are oem and good shape, that's a $600-$700 trike. IF.

For me - the value in that NON RUNNING trike is in the red OEM plastics.