PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250es starter issues i'm ripping my hair out

honda4h
04-02-2014, 10:52 AM
i recently bought a 1985 big red runs well starts well with the kicker. but will not start with e-start. things i have done.
fresh battery
another good working used starter
starter gears are all good
so the bike rolls over just like any other 250 but will not start. 1/2 a kick starts. i take the the plug out has good spark. when i try starting is like the kill switch is on not even a poof of smoke nothing. kick it bang starts up. so i jump the bike direct power to the starter rolls over good and strong no start. kick it starts. i have 4 250 big red. i have swapped parts battery. did it done it. i know 250 big reds like the back of my hand or so i thought i did? i'm stumped. any info will be appreciated

matt3x
04-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Could it be a loose wire or bad connection? Did you trace the wires and check all connections?

Hair Bear Bunch
04-02-2014, 06:16 PM
^x2. Had a similar issue with a Kawasaki quad. Loose ground wire.

atc007
04-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Stator.....

effort=results
04-02-2014, 10:04 PM
maybe try changing the rectifer and the cdi? can you hear the motor actually turning over . sprague bearing bad on stator side if so. i fell your pain as im sure we all do .

wpginterceptor
04-02-2014, 10:33 PM
gotta work your way down.. hook the starter up to battery and everything EXCEPT attaching it to bike.. when you hit button does the starter engage? if yes then there is an issue when you attach it to motor.. follow the steps, starters are pretty basic and simple!

with starter not even attached to bike, put 12V positive on lead and touch ground to casing.. does it crank?
if yes, touch starter to ground on motor, does it crank?

Tomcall
04-03-2014, 02:51 AM
Hey, keep us posted. Love hearing about solutions to electrical problems

Flyingw
04-03-2014, 03:25 AM
The first question to ask is.... Does the neutral light illuminate in neutral?

atc007
04-03-2014, 07:27 AM
You said you have 4 other 250ES',swap one of your 85 stators over. 86 up are different. Lay em on their sides,you won't even need to dump the oils unless you want too..Yours will start,the other one you put this one on won't. I ASSumed lol,, from his OP Jim,neutral light is working because it is cranking over great like the rest of his others ? . Sounds like a weak exciter.

atc500x
04-03-2014, 07:51 AM
stator.......................................

honda4h
04-03-2014, 09:28 AM
so i have tried nearly all of the things mentioned yes N light is on. and the bike has spark with e-start. i tested that with plug out wile cranking it over. i have tried direct power to the starter rolls over with spark that i'm sure would eliminate a short. i was thinking stator but it starts perfect on the kicker even 1/2 a kick. yes exciter could be weak but its works and i have a good solid spark all the time not interment. the bearing sounds interesting is there way to check that? i put the compression tester on the bike and it's rolling over good no skipping i get a burst of comp each time. i could change the stator i have a extra one. i just hate to do that and have the same issue.

wpginterceptor
04-03-2014, 10:34 PM
its not your stator

honda4h
04-03-2014, 11:46 PM
i am thinking that stator is good also. i think in going to rip out some hair now!! aaaaaahhhhh. the bearing is looking like the next step. here are some pic's of the mad bike 190604190605190606190607

Flyingw
04-04-2014, 12:16 AM
What's messed up about this is the fact that it runs when turned over by the kicker but not the estart. The estart system works independently of the ignition system as does the charging and lighting systems. The fact that it does run on the kick starter eliminates the exciter coil, pulse coil, CDI, run/stop switch, key switch, and ignition coil. Aside from shared power and ground, there is nothing in the wiring diagram that would suggest any kind of interlock allowing engine start from one but not the other.

At this point I have to ask, do you know for a fact that the starter is turning the motor full speed or could the one way clutch be slipping?

Flyingw
04-04-2014, 12:27 AM
The only wire I see that might have anything to do with it is the LT Green/red wire that originates at the neutral switch. The neutral switch provides a ground to illuminate the neutral light as well as enabling the starter solenoid. There is also a leg that branches off and goes to the CDI. It is possible the ignition is disabled if that ground is not present at the CDI but that leads me to think the ignition would be disabled for kick starting as well. Hard to say without seeing the diagram for the CDI. I'm basically thinking out loud right now. With this all said, it takes me back to the starter clutch bearing.

atc007
04-04-2014, 07:45 AM
I totally agree.. But given the info from the OP. He has FOUR of these 250's,and should know what they sound like spinning over lol ! I absolutely agree it is a slow spin,be it starter or one way. But he has said repeatedly it spins good,and even hot jumped the starter. There is no need to pull your hair out. In the time it takes to be posting here. You could have layed the bike on it's side and switched the mag cover,and starter.. Obviously,the starter 1st. You say the bearing sounds interesting? The idea from post #5,or YOUR machines bearing? The bearings are a popular problem on these from dirty oil. The only "sound" usually being your starter smashing teeth off your reduction gears. You will KNOW if that bearing is bad. I have seen Yamahas and Kawasakis do this. It was always Stator. I was shooting from the hip. FlyingW went through the diagram and with that info. I would agree the cdi gr could be it. Bottom line. You are not spinning fast enough. Or you aren't making enough juice to ignite. And oh,,,,adjust your valves. Tight valve would do this too.. But that should be cold,and it would start electrically once warm..

honda4h
04-04-2014, 10:08 AM
thanks for the info guys i am going to try your suggestions

roonie
04-04-2014, 07:04 PM
you may have a corroeded (spelling?) starter switch...i know my contacts were rusted from sitting....and.....my green light was on and turning over but not firing. Just a thought. you have to litterally open up the area behind the start switch button. Im guessing maybe a problem with neutral switch as well to check. Make sure your neutral switch wires are good on the side case etc.....but.....like you said .....your light is on.