PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r fmf head pipe temp

Auto_Demon
03-30-2014, 05:50 PM
So I got a 310 kit for my R and i also bought gpi coloured rad hoses but when I went to go install the head pipe which is an fmf system, it pushes up against the rad hose and im wondering if it will get hot enough to melt the hose, the hose says its rated for up to 260*F. Does anyone know how hot an fmf exhaust system gets?

Dirtcrasher
03-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Pipes get hot!!

Silicone hoses have a rating and others if too if you search a bit online to be get allot of opinions.....

Here in MASS, we ride when it's 85 or so Fahrenheit degrees here and have plenty of small trails and short hops so the airflow is much less. So, I'd keep bumping this up and hope for good OR bad news....

Pipe DIRECT contact is HOT! Our body melts away at those temperatures there.....

SteveCZ28
03-30-2014, 07:42 PM
ya i know 2 stroke header pipes get stupid hot. what i would do is try re routing the hoses, or even trim a tiny bit off of the hose to get it to where you can pull th ehose tighter to its connections getting some of the slack out of the hose and hopefully eliminating contact with the pipe

Auto_Demon
03-30-2014, 07:44 PM
What I was thinking about is getting some exhaust wrap and either wrap it around the pipe where its contacting or wrap it around the hose, because theres no way to get around it

RIDE-RED 250r
03-30-2014, 08:04 PM
I'm guessing those hoses are either significantly fatter than OEM or are shaped significantly different than OEM.

I am running an ESR big bore cylinder with an ESR ATC5 pipe, which is quite a bit fatter than the FMF and I don't have this problem.... I ran an FMF in the past, but with an OEM cylinder so I can't comment to clearance with the big bore cylinder and FMF pipe...

Either way, I would not run it with a hose in direct contact with the pipe, especially way upstream.

Can you post some pics of the problem area??? Maybe a few more sets of eyes on the problem will bring about a few ideas??

Auto_Demon
03-30-2014, 08:09 PM
The hoses are shaped differently, i had to trim on of them and a couple others dont form around the frame like the stock ones, ill post a picture in a bit

Auto_Demon
03-30-2014, 08:15 PM
190219190220theres 2 spots its touching, the one tho, right below the mount for the head pipe, is really tight, its deforming the hose a bit

RIDE-RED 250r
03-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Is there any way you can adjust the pipe position with the mounts??? I know the FMF pipes don't fit quite right and need a little creative ingenuity to mount up...

Do you happen to have some OEM hoses to try?

OEM might be your only choice here

Auto_Demon
03-30-2014, 09:22 PM
I cant move the pipe anywhere, but would my plan work? Wrapping exhaust wrap around the hose? Would it withstand the heat?

RIDE-RED 250r
03-30-2014, 09:29 PM
I would think the wrap would do the trick but I'm not sure it would stay in place well on a rubber hose. I have wrapped a sled pipe and it takes a little more persistence to get the wrap to go on good and secure with the taper of an expansion chamber vs a straight pipe like found on a thumper.

Maybe wrap the pipe, do a few good hard runs and take a reading with a laser therm and see how hot it gets??

Auto_Demon
03-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Ya i was thinking wrap and pipe and hose just for good measure, or if i can get away with it just the hose so i dont take away from the look of the pipe haha

SteveCZ28
03-30-2014, 10:36 PM
well if youre wanting to wrap the hoses, whats the point of having them vs oem?? you wont see the pretty red color

Auto_Demon
03-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Well id only wrap the part thats touching the pipe, the part you cant see haha

86T3
03-30-2014, 10:45 PM
Im not trying to offend you but you're ignoring the advice you're seeking. If you want this to be right you need to get the hose away from the pipe somehow. If you want it to work for now and possibly have a problem later wrap the hose.

82 250r
03-30-2014, 10:47 PM
I would first look to see if you can mount the pipe different.

If not, then this heat shield will slip over your hose. Expensive but it works.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heatshield-HP-Fire-Armor-Sleeve-1-1-2-ID-3-Long-210020-/110998605016

Auto_Demon
03-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Im not trying to offend you but you're ignoring the advice you're seeking. If you want this to be right you need to get the hose away from the pipe somehow. If you want it to work for now and possibly have a problem later wrap the hose.

Like i said before theres no way to get the hose away from the pipe, ill try the stock hose but i thinks its because of the way esr placed the spigot.

Dirtcrasher
03-30-2014, 11:47 PM
That hose seems to suck. Get a better hose. back to OEM or maybe the pipe is tweaked a bit? Very common on 2 strokes with spring loaded and rubber dampened mounts. Something is not working there correctly it seems to me................

BOB MARLIN
04-01-2014, 02:14 PM
I have the same setup as you except I have the 330. I wouldn't worry about the pipe melting the silicon hose. That section of the pipe doesn't get that hot. I would be more worried about the restriction of water where it is squeezed between the pipe and the cylinder. The cooling in the ESR cylinders isn't the greatest and any restriction just makes it worse. My hose seems to have more room than yours.