PDA

View Full Version : Shaved head? Whats gained?

sean8231
01-06-2004, 12:09 AM
I've been looking over all of the parts I took off my tecate motor, and after cleaning a few layers of old paint from the head, I noticed that it was engraved with "Precision Performance", and when I compared it to the kx head I have, I noticed that the head that was on my tecate was shaved... I dont know if you can tell from the pic the difference... The kx head is on the left, the head from my tecate is on the right(I hadnt cleaned it up yet when I took the pic).. So my question is, what exactly is gained by shaving the head?

ALso, does any one have a pic of the ports from a stock tecate cylinder? I would like to see if the ports on the cylinder have been modified, and all I have to compare it to is the kx, and an opened up ftz cylinder I have....

Thanks,

Sean

Da_Catt
01-06-2004, 01:28 AM
if you shave the head it makes the combustion chamber smaller which raises the compression ratio. Raising the compression will give you more torque or low end power. but more compression means a higher octane gas is needed, most of the time. sometimes the head is shaved to get it flat again so the head gasket will seal up good.