PDA

View Full Version : My XR650L conversion

Pages : [1] 2

fabiodriven
03-28-2014, 02:54 PM
So I ended up making the drive out to New York yesterday to take a peek at this bike which was built by another member on here. I had seen him build it a couple years ago and absolutely loved the bike. Having a street legal three wheeler has been a goal of mine for as long as I can remember and today was my first day with it out on the road. To be quite honest, it's been kind of an emotional thing for me. This is a milestone in my life as far as I'm concerned. I can ride this where I want, when I want, and Johnny Law can't say a thing. One of my all time favorite things is going out in the blizzards with my trikes and riding around the streets. I've gotten away with it illegally for a long time now, but I don't have to worry anymore. Not only that, but I'll be taking this bike to the local hot spots and beaches and it will be in downtown Boston sooner than later. It attracts a lot of attention, people love it. As well they should. I've been known to fall in love quite fast sometimes, but one day is a new record for me.

The bike seems to be well built as far as I can tell. The swing arm was built in a jig, which is more than I can say I did for the swing arms I've built in the past. From the pictures in the Ebay auction I was figuring I'd have to lop the front of the frame off and redesign the front end, but as soon as I saw the bike in person I could tell it didn't need that. It is a low slung bike, which is good for the street. It handles just fine for a live axled three wheeler on pavement. Rake seems fine, and ride height as well. The forks will need a rebuild very soon and the chain is roached. I need to figure out something with the headlights as they're aimed up in the sky. She puffs a little bit on startup and you can smell a little oil while she's running, but it's got plenty of time left on the top end. It's just a little bit of smoke. I had anticipated that anyways as the bike was already warm when I arrived to see it. There's only one reason you warm a bike up before the buyer arrives. Doesn't bother me though, this thing is great. I saw two of the boys in blue today. One didn't look twice and the other stopped to let me pull out in front of him so he could drive behind me. Neither of them stopped me and quite honestly there isn't anything they can do, it's all legit. I was so excited to go pick up my Buell tomorrow from getting a little tuneup, but now I couldn't care any less, haha. I'll still need the Buell, but this thing is going to get some serious use.

Build thread- http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/142296-xr-650-trike-for-the-street

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0597_zps1e6ba040.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0597_zps1e6ba040.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0596_zps42f5eea3.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0596_zps42f5eea3.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0595_zpsfc570f06.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0595_zpsfc570f06.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0594_zps9ffe287c.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0594_zps9ffe287c.jpg.html)

yaegerb
03-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Glad it went to a good home. Gotta be honest, I didn't even know this thing existed until I saw the SOLD post the PO put up. Looks like a well built street avenger. Any hop up plans or ride as is?

Keith Salyer
03-28-2014, 04:01 PM
I like it a lot and I'm glad it went to a good home. Keep the input coming in.

Billy Golightly
03-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Wow, I totally missed the original build on this thing I guess. That is a SWEET looking machine, I want one!!

captain2207
03-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Nice score.it would be funny to watch the looks on people faces as you rip threw town.I want one to.

Ghostv2
03-28-2014, 05:48 PM
I could only imagine the feeling of riding that thing on the open road. Congratulations on the buy.
That thing looks like a dream.

MIK6
03-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Hmmmmmm..... something I have always wanted to do.... RIDE A TRIKE TO TRIKEFEST!!!

fabiodriven
03-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Hmmmmmm..... something I have always wanted to do.... RIDE A TRIKE TO TRIKEFEST!!!

It's funny you say that as Dave Little from our group just left here 5 minutes ago and we discussed that. As great as that would make the documentary, I'm not going to say I can pull that off right now. Haha.

jays375
03-28-2014, 06:06 PM
There was another one that looked very similar.It had white fenders,also for sale.Think it was in NY.Same trike?So how does it handle.I had a 02 XR650L for a while.It was okay to cruise the dirt roads.Little big in the woods.One turned into a trike might be fun.

bigdaddyvw185
03-28-2014, 06:07 PM
:drool:
That is so awesome! Congrats!!

lokisbuddy
03-28-2014, 06:26 PM
what makes this street legal? is it just the signals, tires and width? does your state have a width limit? or is it just that its a street legal endure converted to atc and titled as enduro? I am very interested in this. what is it titled as? I have never done any investigation into the use of atvs on the road as the roads in my town are all open to atvs. that is a real pretty trike though man.

the great gazoo
03-28-2014, 06:40 PM
My guess is it's titled as an XR650L, that's pretty much all you need, ahahaha.
Very cool rig Doctor Fabulous, when can ya take me for a ride?

devilman
03-28-2014, 06:45 PM
please ensure to gopro the first time you get pulled over! nice score

aldochina
03-28-2014, 08:17 PM
thanks for stopping by and letting me check this out in person John!! Very cool machine! If I had more time I would have had you take it off the truck for sure! Also thanks for checking out my stuff! Not often I get any company as you could tell! We will be riding on the street together this summer either on the roadbikes, or the XR's!!

SteveCZ28
03-28-2014, 08:36 PM
i saw this th eother day, and thought it was neater than hell. congrats on the buy...id love to have one like this.

Dirtcrasher
03-28-2014, 09:10 PM
It's funny you say that as Dave Little from our group just left here 5 minutes ago and we discussed that. As great as that would make the documentary, I'm not going to say I can pull that off right now. Haha.

Guess I gotta come oh-vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! :D

CRAZY70MAN
03-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Awesome!!! I just posted in another thread about it and where it may have went. Bringin it to Trikefest??? Congrats John......

fabiodriven
03-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Is it going to Trikefest.... C'mon Andy.

atc007
03-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Couldn't possibly be happier for ya John! SO glad to see it being enjoyed. You deserve it man. That's gotta be a cool feeling cruising Legal :) Watch her on the wet roads... Congrats!

tripledog
03-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Color me envious. What a cool ride!

Dave Little
03-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Nice score John and good seeing you again. Later on it occurred to me...you can take that to the top of Mt. Washington any day you please.

fabiodriven
03-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Always a pleasure Dave and I'll see you soon Steve!

I realized after I sold my R I was going to need another big trike soon, this is perfect. I'll throw studs on and ice race it and put the 4 Snows on to drag race it at Trikefest. This thing is going to be invaluable.

bkm
03-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Good to see you back on your feet.

trike savior
03-28-2014, 11:38 PM
also glad to see it got a good home. and glad to hear it rides as good as it looks. i was inspired when i saw that build and bought a 650 motor a guy had for sale locally so i could build one. my plans are for a 350x chassis though. if you can register it for the street you cannot ride it on atv trails in Wisconsin.

my only dislike on that bike has been the tires so i just wanted to make a suggestion when you wear those out. they are made by GBC and called Afterburn. they are a DOT approved tire and have a cool tread pattern. also they are a similar height to a motorcycle tire so they should get your gearing closer to stock. and they have a rounded contour so your contact area with the road is less so i think it should let the bike turn easier. attached are some pics of them on my cb750 trike project.

fabiodriven
03-28-2014, 11:53 PM
I went to sleep last night thinking about different rear tires myself and after spending a few hours on it today I think the tires that are on it are perfect.

First problem would be how high the rear would be with the bigger tires on the back. I bet I could lower the shock but I don't know for certain if the back will go down without mods.

It would change the final gear ratio, which could obviously be addressed.

The tires that are on it now, they like to spin instead of hooking when I try to wheelie. This is definitely a good thing in my case. I filled them up to their maximum which is 30 psi. I wanted the least amount of rolling resistance and traction possible. It's best to have the bike skate if you can make it. One wheel is always going to have to slip in order to turn so the less traction they have the more stable it is. I rode my R really, really fast by sliding it everywhere and it was the same way. Fat front and tiny rears.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/300R/PB080086.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/300R/PB080086.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0597_zps1e6ba040.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0597_zps1e6ba040.jpg.html)

fabiodriven
03-28-2014, 11:57 PM
what makes this street legal? is it just the signals, tires and width? does your state have a width limit? or is it just that its a street legal endure converted to atc and titled as enduro? I am very interested in this. what is it titled as? I have never done any investigation into the use of atvs on the road as the roads in my town are all open to atvs. that is a real pretty trike though man.

This bike is titled as a motorcycle which, in Massachusetts, is defined as "having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground". It is an 02 XR650L that has three wheels. It was registered as having three wheels. And thank you!

p26575r16
03-29-2014, 12:02 AM
I saw this trike when it was for sale and thought it was an awesome idea. Got me thinking about a future project, maybe out of a xr400. How does this thing feel on the street, and offroad compared to a "normal" atc? My 350x does fine on the street, but at higher speeds its questionable.

El Camexican
03-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Very nice!:beer

Yamada
03-29-2014, 10:04 AM
I too would like a street legal 3 wheeler. If you can take a Harley or a Goldwyn and make it a trike I can't see why I couln't do the same thing with a XR650.
But from what I gathered in the law of Quebec the bike would need:
10 inches or bigger rims (easy, a lot a aftermarket rims are available and 10 inch. car tire a available.
you can't use a live axle ( Harley and Goldwyn trike have a differential)

fabiodriven
03-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Nothing in Massachusetts says you can't have a live axle. I looked into that. You may want to make sure of that law Yamada. I've heard people say that 100 times, that live axles are illegal on the street. I'm sure in some places that's true, but make sure. One member here told me it was illegal to have a live axle on the street in New York. Turns out it's not, he just assumed it was.

I just got back from getting a state inspection sticker, it's all legal beagle. Turns out a speedometer isn't a requirement here in Mass, but I ordered one anyways. It will be nice to have. It's a speedo, odometer, and it has integrated turn signal and neutral indicators. It handles great for a trike. If you hit a bump or hole with just one of the rear tires, you will get a wobble. You just have to hold on tight and let the bike do it's thing under you. It straightens out when it's ready. I tend to usually cruise with just my right hand on the bars, but you really can't do that with this bike. If you hit a bump the wrong way with just one hand on it I could see it getting away from you. All in all, it's totally streetable though. I absolutely love it.

250rmanfmf
03-29-2014, 11:09 AM
That thing is wicked!!! The conversion looks like it was done correctly.

Blown 331
03-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Awesome. My cousin built one as well. grafted the 650L cradle into a 350X, he even put the dipstick in the 350x frame. He used all 350x plastic, gas tank etc. To the untrained eye it looks stock.

slashfan7964
03-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Nothing in Massachusetts says you can't have a live axle. I looked into that. You may want to make sure of that law Yamada. I've heard people say that 100 times, that live axles are illegal on the street. I'm sure in some places that's true, but make sure. One member here told me it was illegal to have a live axle on the street in New York. Turns out it's not, he just assumed it was.

I looked into this a few months back when I was considering it. I might end up doing a bike conversion similar to this in the future.

ironchop
03-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Hats off to the guy who built it as well. Looks like top quality execution.

DohcBikes
03-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the Street Legal club....:beer

When i got my 200x re-titled i talked her into changing the class designation from ATV to MC, that way i can register it anywhere i go. Third party DMVs are so nice.

Which speedo did you go with, could you post a link? been looking at them for the rebuild but i cant find one i like....

Any idea of your top speed?

Dirtcrasher
03-29-2014, 07:01 PM
If the weather was better I'm sure I'd have already had it swing by.......

Looks great bud!!

fabiodriven
03-29-2014, 07:20 PM
I'll post the speedo info next time I'm at my computer and I have no idea the top speed yet.

Steve I was already debating putting my rain gear on and riding just because I can. You can bet that's going to happen really soon. I also just realized I could flat track with this bike. Best money I've ever spent by far.

tanks350x
03-30-2014, 12:59 AM
That's cool Johnny boy! good fer you!!

loizl
03-30-2014, 04:58 AM
Hey fabio, first congratulations for purchasing this beauty. Can you give me any infos on the reat tires? Size? brand? When you said they rather spin than hook up did you talk about street or dirt? All the street rear tires i have for my street legal rides are extremely grippy and it's really hard to slide them. And go out and ride it on wet streets it's such fun to slide around legally. You can even use it in winter its also a lot of fun. Have fun with it and as always sorry for my bad english

Scootertrash
03-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Exquisite acquisition fabio!

The problem with these threads is they always give me ideas for custom builds. I'll never finish the list as it is.

fabiodriven
03-30-2014, 10:24 AM
loizl, the tires are from a company called Rhox, and they are 205/50-10 size. Maximum inflation pressure is 30 psi which is what I have them at. I haven't ridden it in the dirt yet. I have to get some more time on the bike, but my initial impression is that it tends to spin rather than grab when I try to do a wheelie. There are a lot of variables there including, but not limited to, different road surfaces having different amounts of grip and the actual temperature of both the asphalt and the tires. It's still really cold here so the asphalt and tires are both cold as well. As I said, I want them to slip because that will be the best way to get this bike around on the street.

This is the speedo I ordered. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171282461389?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I don't know anything about it other than it was fairly cheap, waterproof, and it has all the options I wanted. It should look pretty good too.

rdlsz24
03-31-2014, 02:49 PM
That ride is sweet, congrats to you

Rob

sp8twn
03-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Sweet ride Fabio!!! cant wait to see it at Trikefest!

fabiodriven
04-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Sweet ride Fabio!!! cant wait to see it at Trikefest!

Thanks! Is this your first Trikefest? How far of a ride is it for you?

I went to swap out the roached chain for a new one today. I was wondering why such a nice build with a lot of nice, new parts would have such a crappy chain. The sprockets are slightly worn from it even though you can tell they're not that old at all. I didn't want to throw a nice chain on a set of even slightly worn sprockets and I didn't want to toss the sprockets just yet as they have a lot of life left in them. I compromised by getting a brand new, but very affordable, O-ring chain. If it wears out, I don't care.

So it turns out the crappy chain was more than likely on there because my new chain with 96 links was too long, but it was too short with 94. That means I'll have to get a half link.

The headlights are aimed into the sky but they're turned as low as they can go in the mount that was fabbed for them. I was going to re-fabricate the mount, but I found some different lights. I'll post pics when they're mounted. They're coming from China so they won't be in for a couple weeks probably. The speedo is taking it's sweet time getting here as well.

I also have some updated mirrors on the way.

sp8twn
04-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Nope,,2013 meet you there last year for a brief moment!! planning on being there again this year.. Its about a 8 hour drive if there not too nosey at the border!!!
Thanks! Is this your first Trikefest? How far of a ride is it for you?

I went to swap out the roached chain for a new one today. I was wondering why such a nice build with a lot of nice, new parts would have such a crappy chain. The sprockets are slightly worn from it even though you can tell they're not that old at all. I didn't want to throw a nice chain on a set of even slightly worn sprockets and I didn't want to toss the sprockets just yet as they have a lot of life left in them. I compromised by getting a brand new, but very affordable, O-ring chain. If it wears out, I don't care.

So it turns out the crappy chain was more than likely on there because my new chain with 96 links was too long, but it was too short with 94. That means I'll have to get a half link.

The headlights are aimed into the sky but they're turned as low as they can go in the mount that was fabbed for them. I was going to re-fabricate the mount, but I found some different lights. I'll post pics when they're mounted. They're coming from China so they won't be in for a couple weeks probably. The speedo is taking it's sweet time getting here as well.

I also have some updated mirrors on the way.

fabiodriven
04-11-2014, 10:21 PM
So I was out on the XR today. I was going to a car show they have on Fridays about 5 miles up the road from my house. (Too early in the season, nobody was there) There's a particular stretch of road, it's gotta be at least a quarter mile, it's really rough. It's always getting torn up with frost heaves and potholes that have been patched over and over. The entire road is pretty much made of patches and the holes move from day to day as the older ones get patched and new ones constantly form. I was curious how the trike would handle this kind of stuff. As we all know, the particular off road style of trike that we ride is a less than optimum platform for street use, there's no denying that. As long as you have a straight axle and only three wheels in that particular configuration it will handle bumps in a seemingly unpredictable demeanor. There are inevitably going to be times where only one wheel hits a bump, more often than not actually, and that can make it shake a little. Once you get used to the bike, you see it's not that bad.

So I got to the rough patch and was doing about 45-50, just sitting down and cruising. The bumps were bad and there's no point in trying to dodge them because they make up the entire road surface. It was handling them OK but I really had to hang on to the bars. After a short period I naturally just resorted to my riding position that I take when we're riding aggressively in the rough trails in New Hampshire. That's arse hovering an inch or two above the seat, body as far back as my arms will allow, lifting the front end and planting the rear. I grabbed a handful of throttle as soon as I stood up and hung on. My buddy was following me in a truck and he guessed I was doing at least 50-55 at that point. As I increased the speed the suspension started soaking the bumps up much better. It was awesome actually. I was getting the same feeling as I get when we're flying through the mountains, and I had just ridden right out of my garage. I had a huge smile on my face as I was thinking that this is actually legal, sans the slight amount of speeding.

On my way home I got pulled over. As the officer approached, he seemed stern. I don't think he had much faith in this thing being legit. Not long after he walked up to it he lightened up though. I don't think he had seen the plate before that point. I handed him my registration and he could barely see it after moving it towards and away from his face a dozen or so times. He asked me for my license and I opened my wallet to find I didn't have my license on me. I had to make a copy of it yesterday and I left it in my scanner. He was nice though, and he liked the bike. Quite honestly, everyone does. Young and old, any race, whether they know anything mechanical or not. Dames love it. So the guy let me go. As we were shooting the shite and I was putting my reg away he pointed across the street. There was a group of 5 or so young kids filming us. We waved at the camera and then left. I hope to see the video someday, haha.

Zach
04-12-2014, 12:18 AM
this is an awesome build and good for you on gettin a trike legal for the road just plain cool. I like that speedo I wonder if it could be modified to fit a 350x?

fabiodriven
04-21-2014, 12:53 AM
I took the XR out yesterday, the day before Easter, for a long ride. I was out for quite a few hours, although a lot of that time was spent BS-ing. I got a lot of miles in though and learned a lot in that time. I love this machine more every time I go out on it.

I have to throw a wrench at it soon, got a couple of minor things to do to it.

I had woken up Saturday morning on the wrong side of bed, which hasn't happened much lately. I have a lot to do and it can get overwhelming for me. As I gathered my thoughts to attack the piles of work, I realized how nice it was out. My next step was to get dressed and then blow everything off and leave on the three wheeler. This machine's sole purpose on this planet is to dispense fun, and it excels at it. You've no choice but to pay attention to what the machine is doing, you can't think about other crap that much. Simultaneously, what the machine is doing is a thing of beauty, a thing of beauty which cannot be ignored. I defy anyone to show me a better healer of the mind and soul than that of the street legal ATC XR650L.

As I arrived in my home town, about three towns over from me, I was greeted with a police escort not a half a mile into town. The detective had the same reaction as the last one, and hadn't even explored the option that this machine was in fact street legal regardless of having a license plate dangling off the back. He assumed I was just riding a regular ATC up the road. I was flippant with this one, I will admit. It's just a game to me now because it's the same thing every time. This guy was too easy though, he was all worked up at first. I think they start wondering why I'm so calm at some point.

I enjoyed this past ride more than any because I was really getting the hang of this thing. For anyone who may try to make a machine like this some day, if you have even a little trike experience you are familiar with how a straight axle handles. Yes, this is a trike on the street with a straight axle. It can be a handful. I've been on 3 for decades and am obviously well versed in the way of the wheels 3. I think it rides awesome and wouldn't change a thing.

The most common comment I keep getting from people, everyone says they would put bigger tires in the rear. I think I may have already said something about this, I forget. I like the small rear tires for many reasons. I like how they look, plain and simple. In my opinion and personal experience, traction on the rear wheels is not always a good thing with a three wheeler. There are many circumstances where you want the rear to be able to break traction, either just one wheel or even both. Not having a differential means something has got to slip, it's going to happen. The more traction the rear wheels have, the harder they are going to fight each other, the harder it is on the bike (bearings), the harder it is on you, the pilot, as it is your very physical task to keep this machine pointed in the general direction it is you wish to head. More traction in the rear, bad. I can promise it will not be long before this machine is drifted around more than several corners. The tires are to their maximum psi as to avoid traction and also minimize rolling resistance.

As I said already, rough roadways need to be attacked. They can't be enjoyed any other way. Anything else you do will be an exercise in endurance. You have to look ahead, hover over the seat, lean back, and smash the gas. The shock takes it from there, although you know the road isn't smooth. Your choice is to do it that way, which is functional and fun, or go slow and get pounded. Simple choice, grow a set and drop the hammer.

What I learned yesterday is how to corner, which I was surprised it took me so long to figure out. The method is simple and very similar to handling rough roads- attack. In order to go around a corner without looking like a fishing bobber, you must come in hot, which may seem a bit too hot at first and does require commitment, but it is by far the most effective way to turn. Not only that, but it looks sick. Basically what you have to do is corner it like you're flat track racing or ice racing. You have to toss it into the turn and hang forward and inboard, wayyy inboard, of the turn you are making. You have to hang low and far off the bike, but then it turns like it's on rails. With the proper technique you look like a sicko (which you are) and carve out a perfect turn on a machine that takes talent to navigate. At lower speeds you pick up the inboard tire as well. I used to try this while sitting upright and it just didn't work out right. When you hang off the machine you can control the turn. Yesterday combined both cornering and very rough road conditions at the same time, which I was eager to try. Combining the English for both turning and handling the bumps simultaneously is an awesome challenge. Sometimes you have to choose whether to handle the bumps or turn and then plot for the turn a bit earlier or later, depending on the actual locations of the obstacles in the road. Some bumps you just can't hit while turning, and you have to look at and diagnose the effect every approaching bump is going to have on the trajectory of the machine. If you have to hit them straight then you do that and deal with turning when you can.

As I said before, people go absolutely ape shite over this thing. I had the fire department wait for three cars to go in front of me at a four way stop so they could see it. They held up traffic. They were on the opposite side of the intersection so I pulled up and stopped. They were staring at it so I ripped a wheelie across the intersection. Then later I saw a group of kids with a second gen R sitting on the lawn. It looked like a really nice machine. There were about 7 kids hanging out by the side of the road so I pulled up and stopped. I looked at them and said "Hey nice three wheeler!" They all stared at me with their mouths hanging open and not one of them moved or said anything. I started laughing at them after about 5 seconds of them just staring blankly, then I tossed it in gear and rode away. Later on I was on my way home when I came upon the Easter bunny on the side of the road in front of a store waving at traffic. As I came up the road I smiled and waved at the Easter bunny and it's arm dropped and went limp. His head fixated directly on me and I watched it swivel to follow my trajectory. I'm not making any of this up, I wish I had a GoPro. I could have gotten the meatball cop (not to offend any cops but this guy was flustered and who am I to pass up on having some fun when the opportunity presents itself?), the firemen, the trike kids, and the Easter Bunny.

Anyhoo, I ended up turning what started out as a really bad day completely around. This machine is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. I have a lot of toys, too many as a matter of fact. I have a lot to distract me from negativity. None of it matters when push comes to shove, but this is different. If you do not concentrate on it, you cannot ride it. You are forced to think about it, and only it, or it will remind you who the boss is. Hence, not thinking about anything else.

TrickShot
04-21-2014, 01:42 AM
I got to say "fabio", I like the way you write things up on this thread. It's been a very entertaining read. I wish ya all the distraction needed on the XR650L to get you thru the times when life issues weighs you down. Have fun.
:beer

slashfan7964
04-21-2014, 02:19 AM
You just made me want a street legal one that much more. I've been seeing many more of the Xr bikes popping up online lately. They must be really popular.

YTZ drew
04-21-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm not down in your neck of the woods that often, but I really hope I run into you and your trike one of these days. Maybe I'll point my 599 in that direction a little more this riding season.

hawaiirider
04-21-2014, 07:33 PM
sweet ride!!!!!!!!!!! i did the same with a xl200r and made it look like a 200x, i have been pulled over by every passing officer, i get let go but its still a hassle!! i thinking of ways to make it look less 200x now to avoid the pullovers, suggestions?

DohcBikes
04-21-2014, 07:42 PM
sweet ride!!!!!!!!!!! i did the same with a xl200r and made it look like a 200x, i have been pulled over by every passing officer, i get let go but its still a hassle!! i thinking of ways to make it look less 200x now to avoid the pullovers, suggestions?Having owned and ridden a street legal 200x for over a year, I'm not sure why you would want to.

Getting stopped is part of the fun. Just like Fabio said, its always a hoot when they finally notice the plate and you whip out your registration and insurance.

hawaiirider
04-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Having owned and ridden a street legal 200x for over a year, I'm not sure why you would want to.

Getting stopped is part of the fun. Just like Fabio said, its always a hoot when they finally notice the plate and you whip out your registration and insurance.

actually it isnt fun, especially when your carrying milk, ice cream or have people expecting you to be somewhere and where are you? dealing with the police having to explain the bike = hassle!! i better carry krispy kremes on me from no on lol, do you have a pic of yours you can post too?

slashfan7964
04-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Personally if I was going to pick up a few things that need to be refrigerated I wouldn't do it on a legal trike for that exact reason.

I too would love to see that street legal 200X as well. Does it have ample power to cruise at highway speeds? I mean I know they can get there with a top end kit but Id worry about how long to keep it at such Rpms.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-21-2014, 08:18 PM
I have no idea how I missed this thread....

But it sounds like some REALLY good medicine for you John! :) Enjoy! :beer

DohcBikes
04-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Glendale Arizona and now that i think about it actually I've been riding a total of over a year on two trikes. For the first 4 months I rode the 200s street legal. Rarely got stopped on this one. If you look closely you can see the air horn on the dash piece, the mirror on the end of the left handle bar, and the 96 yamaha seca brake light through the rack. Oh ya and the Harley Dyna reflectors on the fork legs.

The first pic of the 200x is before I got the brake light and mirror on it, and I rode it just like that for 8 months until I started rebuilding it as a street specific machine. I got stopped on this one several times. I have never received any tickets. On the trikes.

Ill be doing a thread and dont wanna show too much but this one is from the new build. It now is nearly ready for the road again and has a bigger engine with reverse.

We just expect to get stopped i guess. Even here where its extremely easy to plate a trike, you still dont see em out on the road very often.

Slash i just saw your post. The gearing can be changed to make it happy at about 50, and also thats why i went to a 229cc pushrod engine, id like to hit 60-65 comfortably. Also the new setup will be much lower, lighter, and less wind resistant, no fenders. My current gearing on the new engine is 14/38 but i have not ridden it like that yet so ill have to fine tune it later.

Sorry for the hijack on the awesome thread fabiodriven. Hawaiirider if any more questions of me probably should pm me we dont wanna clutter up the man's great stories.:beer

slashfan7964
04-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Looking good and lookin forward to the build thread. As always great work.

fabiodriven
04-21-2014, 09:03 PM
I forgot a part of my story from the other day. Those who I'm friends with on Facebook will have seen these pictures. As I said, I rode over to my home town where I haven't lived for about 10 years or so. I don't call anyone, I just head over usually. I always run into someone. Last Saturday I just happened to run into my buddy with his 02 XR650L, the same year as mine. I just rode right by him on his bike and then I turned around and went back. He was impressed with the trike as everyone is.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0631_zps10590853.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0631_zps10590853.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0632_zps9e35a89c.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0632_zps9e35a89c.jpg.html)

I wouldn't bother trying to hide any aspect of the trike, it's never going to look like it belongs on the road. It will just get uglier. It's always going to draw attention so celebrate it. It's going to turn heads anyways so why not just snap their necks?

I took the trike to get milk, dinner (fish), and ice cream tonight. I wasn't worried. The traffic stops are usually quite brief.

hawaiirider
04-22-2014, 10:53 AM
I think its all where you live at i guess, those arizona trikes look bone stock, id probably go to jail on one of those here in oregon.
I probably wont change the look i guess, even though i own a trike conversion im not a fan and dont recommend them. my 200xle does just about 70 tapped out on the pavement, will cruise 55 ok but its extended and lowered.
mines up for trade, id rather have a harley have fun and make it to where im going without my friends saying "saw you pulled over again on your trike"

Blown 331
04-22-2014, 11:13 AM
I wonder how it would look with those stock air scoops put back on, or would they not fit.

fabiodriven
04-22-2014, 12:23 PM
I wonder how it would look with those stock air scoops put back on, or would they not fit.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fit. My buddy and I were looking at that when the two bikes were side by side.

slashfan7964
04-22-2014, 03:57 PM
That's what my thoughts where the triples for the forks look too wide for the stock shrouds. You might be able to retro fit second gen 200X or 350X shrouds on it though.

fabiodriven
05-03-2014, 03:05 PM
So another ride on the XR today, it's an adventure every time. I can't say it enough, everyone goes nuts over it... blah blah blah. This thing is making me a local celebrity and it wouldn't surprise me if it got me laid.

I made a couple of changes with the blinkers and headlights. Take a peek.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0646_zpsd049fbd7.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0646_zpsd049fbd7.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0650_zpseceed549.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0650_zpseceed549.jpg.html)

The turn signals are on the front side of the mirrors and I put some LED spots where the turn signals used to be.

Today I did some mild drifting on dry pavement. There will be a lot more of that. Didn't get pulled over today surprisingly enough. I've still got a lot of work to do to this bike but just no time. I really don't want to have it down for a weekend as I enjoy riding it so much. I took off today with an idea where I was going, but no real destination. I just keep riding and riding, I can't get enough! I came upon a Harley rider who was broken down on the side of the road and pulled over to see what the issue was. Turns out his throttle cable had snapped. I told him there was a Hardly Ableson dealer about 2 or 3 miles up the road and he said that's where he was originally heading. He's not from the area so he wanted to grab a sweatshirt or something. He called them up and they had the cable on hand so I went up to grab it. When I got to the stealership, there were leather clad bikers all gawking, of course. No sooner did I have my helmet off when the tallest, baddest biker of the group came over to tell me that "This thing isn't street legal!" I asked him why that was. He said "It just isn't." I asked him (in front of his oil leaking friends) to name one thing on my bike that made it illegal for road use. "Everything" was his answer. I asked him to name one particular part. He could not. Then everyone came out of the stealership to gawk as well, and I can't say I blame them. I grabbed the poor guy's throttle cable and came back outside. It was great talking with people but I felt bad for the guy on the side of the road. It took more time to talk to the gawkers than it did to get to the place and back. I ripped a nice healthy wheelie out of the lot and went back the the broken down guy.

When I got back to him and handed him his cable he offered me a check, as he had no cash on him. I told him no payment was necessary. It was then that he said "Y'know, I've been out here for an hour and bike after bike has rolled right by me without looking. Harley's, Honda's, whatever. Then a guy on a three wheeler rolls up and I was like what the hell is going on here!" I told him that's how trikers are. So we've got another one on our side.

Steve I'll be over soon! Possibly tomorrow!

jays375
05-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Laid,really?Ha ha.Well it is possible with that sexy ride of yours.

atc007
05-03-2014, 04:04 PM
I've kept quiet for quite a while here John,letting this play out . I was literally picking up the phone to go buy this when you posted you were going to look at it the next day. Obviously,I then didn't call :) I'd seen it for sale here,and the desperation growing as it was posted on CL and Ebay. I knew I could get into it for a price I would be VERY comfortable paying. Sometimes things work out just as they are supposed too. And THIS trike was built for You :) It makes me feel giggly all over when I see how much FUN you are having with this!!!!! Just PLEASE keep the stories coming. And I will keep planning EXACTLY what trike I am gonna street!! Almost def a KTM :) :)...Does it feel like it's gonna bite you quickly when drifting? Or semi controlled. That's a good hunk of weight down fairly low. Seems like it might be fairly manageable?

Jones
05-03-2014, 04:53 PM
cool trike! i have a 2001 xr650l theyre great bikes. i see you have the smog stuff still on there. you should do the delete and do "daves mods" to the carb. it adds quite a bit more power and will run cooler with richer jetting. i put an xr600r je piston into mine when i rebuilt it last winter and it feels alot stronger it takes the compression ratio of 8.3:1 to around 9.4:1. these motors run very hot and an oil cooler is recommended. im buying a sutton oil cooler for mine once theyre back in stock. cheers, enjoy the new ride!

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o121/brettjonestoyota/7B4BBF69-8078-47DA-A6B4-A05BBA45EB53-3013-000004B975429983_zps3d847f43.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/brettjonestoyota/media/7B4BBF69-8078-47DA-A6B4-A05BBA45EB53-3013-000004B975429983_zps3d847f43.jpg.html)

fabiodriven
05-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the appreciation of me enjoying myself, haha.

It feels like it was built for me as well Bill and the price was absolutely right. It's not without its needs right now, but still a bargain just for the fun factor which is off the charts. The poor Buell...

The drifting is in its infancy as of yet Bill. I've done it a handful of times and it's just sort of developing organically which is a good way to approach it in my opinion. If you take too big of a bite and push things too fast too soon, it's liable to bite back. Getting bitten back on dirt is one thing, asphalt is another. I've mentioned how you have to come into the corners hot and attack them. I've been increasing the speed a bit so what I end up doing most times now is hanging way inside and low off the bike and turning aggressively to the point that the inside wheel comes off the ground at a rather good clip. With just one rear wheel in contact with the road now, you can apply throttle and break traction. I've done it in both second and third gear, and that's on dry pavement. My intention was to start drifting on wet pavement but it's just been developing on its own as I ride. The rear tires are brand new as well. I always kept half worn tires on the rear of my Mustang for similar reasons if you catch my "drift" ;) It's really easy to get the wheels spinning in first to spin around and what not. Yes Bill, it is very manageable so far. It certainly is low.

After this weekend the forks are completely lunched. I ordered progressive springs, seals, and front brake pads today. The front brake is soaked with fork oil and possibly brake fluid as well.

Thanks for the tips Jones, and I'll be looking into a lot of those. I may hit you up for advise from time to time if you don't mind!

ditchmud
05-05-2014, 05:01 AM
Very sweet ride!

fastatc70
05-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Wow. Very cool ride. Great posting!

Blown 331
05-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Practic any 5th gear wheelies?

fabiodriven
05-05-2014, 07:16 PM
I ordered a big oil cooler last night. Might be on this week. The speedo is a work in progress at this point.

No 5th gear wheelies yet buddy! Controllable wheelies with extended swing arms are an exercise in brute acceleration usually, which requires gobs of horsepower. This bike has balls, but not brutal power. So far I just bring it up in first and hang it as long as I can. I've not yet been able to shift up to second. When you have to balance the bike instead of being able to rely on brutal acceleration it makes the balance point tougher to maintain due to the extended swing arm. I've tried to push down and "pop" the front end up at speed, but both the forks and the clutch are rubbish. Not for long though.

Louis Mielke
05-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Don't bother with "Dave's Mods" on the carb. Spend the money on an FCR from a crf. Hands down worth every penny.

Then dump the smog pump, install block off plates, remove snorkel, uni foam filter BUT KEEP the black "charcoal canister"! It's not a charcoal canister is an oil separator for the engine breather line.

This is the link to the sutton oil cooler mentioned earlier. http://suttoncycleworks.com/oilCooler.html I'll be purchasing one of them eventually.

slashfan7964
05-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Awesome story about the bikers. How neat.

fabiodriven
05-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Don't bother with "Dave's Mods" on the carb. Spend the money on an FCR from a crf. Hands down worth every penny.

Then dump the smog pump, install block off plates, remove snorkel, uni foam filter BUT KEEP the black "charcoal canister"! It's not a charcoal canister is an oil separator for the engine breather line.

This is the link to the sutton oil cooler mentioned earlier. http://suttoncycleworks.com/oilCooler.html I'll be purchasing one of them eventually.

Louis, not 3 hours ago I was out there looking at the smog stuff as it is the next to go. All of the answers you just gave me were questions rattling around in my head such a short time ago.

I was looking at the Sutton cooler last night. I opted for a much cheaper and more effective route as I have the luxury of the wide front end from a Tecate which at one time held a radiator. This leaves me an area roughly 2/3rds the size of Wrigley Field in which to place my oil cooler. The cooler I ordered is definitely bigger than the Sutton unit. The hard line to the reservoir is obviously very accessible so that should be chicken. Plenty of mounting space and plenty of air going across it.

Smog block off is in the mail.

Louis Mielke
05-06-2014, 04:41 PM
If you're going to put the cooler on the forks I would try hard to find braded lines or possibly new hard lines some how. Don't want to loose oil pressure on these big red pigs. (mines orange now lol)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/louis_mielke/my%20bikes/995941_10200362953422905_471534628_n_zps661b048b.j pg (http://s106.photobucket.com/user/louis_mielke/media/my%20bikes/995941_10200362953422905_471534628_n_zps661b048b.j pg.html)

Blown 331
05-06-2014, 04:46 PM
As a XR650R owner I take exception to a non-650R being called a BRP. :lol:

Louis Mielke
05-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Call it how I see it, the 650l is still big, it's still red, and it's still a pig of a bike for being 644cc

Blown 331
05-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Well then I guess people who ride Red Tecates are the red riders! I'm joking around.

NeverLift
05-07-2014, 04:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmGDBHCXFDg

This must be yours.

whipit
05-07-2014, 10:45 PM
That video was shot outside seneca falls NY. I was waiting for the rider to pull off onto the old railroad bed or head off into the trails, there are (or used to be) some good ones right there

slashfan7964
05-07-2014, 11:39 PM
I want it NOW!

JasonB
05-08-2014, 01:02 AM
DAMN that looks like fun! I got a head rush just watching that, can't imagine cruising down the road legally just anywhere i wanted to go

fabiodriven
05-08-2014, 03:03 PM
If you have a motorcycle license you can take it out for a while in June Jason.

slashfan7964
05-08-2014, 03:04 PM
That guy has another video of him cruising through town and getting some looks from people. Pretty neat.

JasonB
05-08-2014, 04:29 PM
If you have a motorcycle license you can take it out for a while in June Jason.

hell ya thanks for the offer man! You're a lucky guy, that bike's looks have really started to grow on me.

fabiodriven
05-09-2014, 11:50 PM
I had today off and decided to rip into the XR thinking I had all of the parts I needed to get it back together. Sunday is supposed to be nice I guess. Well, nightmare scenario. I got the forks apart and I figured out shortly thereafter that I had only ordered the outer seals and not the more important inners. I called around to see if anyone had them on the shelf and even drove over to the local bearing store, nothing. So they're on their way. Got my blinkers and my LED low beams all hooked up, high beams are in the mail as well. I had to get creative to make the LED blinkers blink. On my Buell all I did was swap out the blinker relay for a "no-load" relay, an EP-36. Not quite so easy with the XR. I figured with the amount of these bikes out there more info would be available about making LED's blink on them, but I didn't find much. I made it work though.

The bike should ride like new after I go through it. The head set was extremely loose (as I had expected) so I snugged that up and the bike will have brand new progressive springs going in with the new seals. The front brake wasn't doing much as it's soaked in fork oil, so new pads are on their way as well. The smog kit is installed. The oil cooler will be going on as soon as it arrives. The front end is getting a bit of a different design. I just wish it were going to be up and running on Sunday. I guess I can always ride the Buell, shucks...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0671_zps1044b408.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0671_zps1044b408.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0672_zpsb70450df.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0672_zpsb70450df.jpg.html)

slashfan7964
05-10-2014, 12:03 AM
What front fender is that using?

atc007
05-10-2014, 07:17 AM
1st gen Tecate w lots of cooling holes.

fabiodriven
05-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Yes the whole front end is Tecate A2.

So I ordered an oil cooler last week. I took two very rough measurements just holding a tape measure up and I didn't account for much, not even the ignition switch which is right there. I own calipers, micrometers, rulers, and various other measuring tools. However I run out to the garage in my PJ's and spend 10 seconds eyeballing it. That's just how I am, I dunno. I wasn't taught that way and Steve would spend at least an hour measuring something like that. The thing arrived today and it looks like it was made to go there. Even the mounts line up. Sure, it will take fabbing to get perfect, but not much. I looked at Ebay for probably two hours when this one just jumped out at me. All I knew was the distance between the forks was roughly 12 or 13 inches and the cooler shouldn't be much more than *some other measurement* tall. I've been making things like this happen a lot lately, I've learned a lot about the universe and how things work. Call me crazy but the proof is in the pudding. Stuff like this happens to me constantly, and it's not by accident.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0679_zpsef32d554.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0679_zpsef32d554.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0678_zpsdd2a85a7.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0678_zpsdd2a85a7.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0676_zpsc59b7e19.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0676_zpsc59b7e19.jpg.html)

Afrothunderkat
05-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Another pipe dream of mine!

redsox
05-14-2014, 09:16 AM
I've been making things like this happen a lot lately, I've learned a lot about the universe and how things work. Call me crazy but the proof is in the pudding. Stuff like this happens to me constantly, and it's not by accident.

everything everything everything happens for a reason. i think it does, anyway. looks good. there have been about 250,000 motorcycles out since the icy death of winter subsided. every bike i see i think of that XR. for reasons i wont get into, i've never had a motorcycle. i really dislike "trikes" (as in standard motorcycle conversions). they've just never been my thing. that thing is different. supercool. its sharp now and getting better.

C.J
05-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Wow this is the first time I've read through this thread. I had no idea the trike was street legal and always figured it was just another big thumper for trail riding.

Really dig the way you do your write ups, Fabio. You're making me want to get started on my SLATC as soon as I possibly can!

I feel what you mean about using a bike as an out to get away from the hassle of day-to-day. I have a CR85 with a shifter kart engine that takes every ounce of your mind and body to keep from stomping yourself in the ground with. I slipped up one time last month and ended up with a hellacious concussion and couldn't drive for two weeks cause of blackouts. I enjoy bikes like that though. They make life sooo much better

Thanks for sharing with us man!!

cochran
05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Read this whole thread as well. I am not sure how I missed it. Something like this has always been a dream of mine.
Maybe I missed it but what front tire is that Fab?

fabiodriven
05-18-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm sorry cochran, I hadn't realized you asked. I'll look tomorrow. It's an 85 Tecate front wheel which is a 10 inch rim.

I've been putting some time in almost every day on the XR. It will have a lot of changes when I finish and hopefully that will be in the next couple days. The forks are rebuilt and on the bike. I had an issue with the steering neck as the stem was loose in the headset. It was just rattling around in there. The builder hadn't put the lock bolt in the top of the stem to keep the spanner nut in place so I was assuming the nut had just backed off. Well it had backed off, but it wasn't tight enough even with the nut buried all the way down. There is a shoulder on the stem that will only allow the bearing to slide so far down the stem, and that shoulder isn't far enough down to allow the bearings to sit in their races properly. I built a shim to slide down the stem and space the bottom bearing off the bottom triple and allow me to tighten them snug and then put the lock bolt in to hold it. It should ride like a whole new bike with the rebuilt forks and a tight headset.

The smog stuff is gone and the oil cooler will be in shortly. I had to order some fittings for it. The headlights and brackets to mount them are here as well.

The front brake sucks, and I have theories as to why. When I got the bike the front brake was doused with fork oil and even though the pads were like new, they were roached from all the oil. I took everything apart today and cleaned it all thoroughly. I removed the glazing on the rotor and installed new pads. I bled it at first with a vacuum bleeder which didn't get it working right away, but after I pumped the master a few times and moved the line around some bubbles came out into the reservoir and it got better. It's still soft though like it needs to be bled. I bled the crap out of it the normal way and it didn't really help much. I think it's either the 30 year old line bulging or the master. I'm leaning more towards the line so I'll probably replace that soon.

Blown 331
05-18-2014, 10:06 PM
I think reverse bleeding the brakes may do it. Get a large syringe, fill it with fluid. Then hook it to the bleeder on the caliper with a clear hose and force it up through the master. Works great. I got a large syringe off eBay for like $3 shipped. There are some YouTube vids on this as well.

fabiodriven
05-19-2014, 06:16 PM
I did a little work today with mounting the oil cooler. I've been taking my time with this and trying to pay more attention to detail than I usually do. I've been waiting for parts a lot so in the meantime I try to be thorough with the other stuff I'm doing. I'm still waiting on fittings for the cooler and today I ordered a bunch of stainless hardware to clean things up a bit.

I had to drill out the mounting tabs on the cooler to get the rubber grommets in. They were snug but I'm liking how it's going together.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0692_zps75e7a979.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0692_zps75e7a979.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0691_zps7cf94955.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0691_zps7cf94955.jpg.html)

atc007
05-19-2014, 07:55 PM
This is getting GOOOODDDD . Gonna be a whole new bike :)

samuraiguys
05-19-2014, 10:27 PM
So could this atc be titled and ridden in PA?

fabiodriven
05-20-2014, 05:36 AM
So could this atc be titled and ridden in PA?

Check your local laws, specifically the definition of a motorcycle. Also check if there are any laws regarding live axles on the street.

fabiodriven
05-22-2014, 07:50 PM
I got the XR back together and riding today. I've got a couple small details I need to iron out but it's good enough to boot around on for now.

The bike would have been together yesterday but Tuesday I went into the hardware store with the cooler and the mount to buy some hardware. Welp, I put the cooler and mount on a shelf and then left the store. They close at 5:30 and I realized I had left it there at 5:40. So that put me a day behind. I've also been fighting through some sort of sickness or allergies that seem to be coming on. I've been working a long, full day, I eat crap on the road for the most part, come home and wrench, work out, eat, study for hoisting license, sleep. The sleep part never comes early enough. We're buried now with Trikefest just around the corner, gotta put in hours every day no matter what.

I started the bike up last night with the cooler mocked up and saw an oil leak at one of the lines where it goes from rubber to metal. It was late and I figured I'd take a peek at it the following day (today). I had to go to the hardware store anyways so I figured I'd grab some more hose clamps. When I started working on the bike I figured out where the leak was coming from. I hadn't tightened the hose clamp. In my defense though, the hose clamp I used didn't come with a manual so... I snugged that up and re-routed and trimmed the lines a few times and it seems good to go. I also replaced much of the front end hardware with stainless steel if you can see that in the pics.

I wasn't very happy to find out that the hardware sent with my new high beams is incorrect. All too often these days this happens and it really butters my bagel. How frigging hard is it to test fit a product BEFORE you put it on the open market? One simple, tiny bolt (per light) stopped my progress for over a half hour as I made collars to fix their problem. The install of those lights was the last thing I had to do. To boot, I turn the lights on and one doesn't work. Awesome. The lights themselves look very well made and are obviously extremely bright, but all for not. Losers...

It was pouring outside today on my way home from work and it was raining quite steadily while I was working on the bike. I was going out no matter what once it was done though. As I did the finishing touches and looked over all of my work, the clouds broke and the sun even peeked through. The roads were still soaked so this was perfect. I have been dying to take it out on wet roads. It was better than I could have imagined. First of all, it's a night and day difference in handling all around with the forks rebuilt and resprung and the headset tightened up. Huge, huge difference. It's like a brand new machine, no exaggeration. With the roads wet I am able to just hang it out sideways with complete control and predictability. I just wing it right in and can change directions at will. I was in mostly 3rd gear through intersections but I used 2nd as well. It's great when people are sitting at the intersection or coming the opposite way. You can see them get nervous as they first notice you and once they realize you're sideways on purpose they look amazed. If you can picture me in a full slide hanging off the side of the bike, just like ice racing or flat tracking, with full commitment to the turn, out in traffic... It's just about the best feeling in the world. Pretty much indescribable.

I'm completely wiped, bushed, beat. I'm starving and need a shower but I was hoping to have this together by tomorrow so I'm glad I was out on it today. There's a car show tomorrow (weather pending) that I'd like to attend.

I meant to take pictures when I was done running the hoses. This was before final assembly so this is just a reference for how the hoses are routed but they are not mounted in these pics.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0698_zpsab740522.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0698_zpsab740522.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0697_zps1e7b2a1b.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0697_zps1e7b2a1b.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0700_zps90202bc7.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0700_zps90202bc7.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0699_zps5f626498.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0699_zps5f626498.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0701_zps4aae32fe.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0701_zps4aae32fe.jpg.html)

jays375
05-22-2014, 09:12 PM
If you didn't get it done you wouldn't have slept.Looking good!It's funny how you can go to bed frustrated.Can't figured out a solution to problem.Wake up in the morning and "bingo!".

fabiodriven
05-23-2014, 07:37 AM
I'd really like to run this bike at Ashtabula this year if I can make it over there. I think we'd have a really good time!

fabiodriven
06-30-2014, 11:16 PM
A lot of rides were promised for Indiana on this bike, but nobody got to ride it but me (briefly). As soon as we arrived, just before sunset on Sunday, June 15th, I immediately removed the XR from the trailer. It was the first time I'd have this bike in the dirt. I had yet to see how my new headlights were and I'm glad to report they literally turn night into day, especially in the middle of the pitch black woods. As I was riding the main trail loop at Haspin for the first time this year (which is a fairly smooth, wide trail) I was hearing some odd noises from the rear of the bike. It sounded to me like it was coming from somewhere near the carrier. I threw the bike around sideways a bit but I didn't really give 'er the beans. What I really wanted to do was a full speed loop around, but I never got to that. I parked the bike for the night and unpacked everything else.

The following morning I awoke and immediately mounted the XR as if she had tits and were laying next to me. There went that noise again, and this time I could see as it was light out. I did another loop and returned to the camp. Raffa and I picked up the back of the bike in search of a cause for the noise and none was found aside from possibly the shock linkage, so I went with that. One more loop I did and returned to camp with a big vine hanging on to my rear axle. As Raffa reached down and yanked the vine from my bike he paused and looked twice. I knew there was trouble right at that point. What he was looking at was shiny metal where the paint on the swing arm had chipped away right along a (ground) weld where the carrier meets the swing arm main tube. That was one of many chips of paint that had decided to become part of Haspin Acres rather than my bike. The entire swing arm was cracking and twisting in multiple places. It was just not built strong enough, plain and simple. Not only that, but the welds were sub-par and ground then painted to hide them. The rear tires have a width of 49", which is quite a span. That span acts as a big lever amplifying the already heavy and torquey bike. Combine that with pitching it out sideways in 3rd gear and you have yourself a lunched swing arm. I'll be getting the bike over to Steve's sooner than later so's we can build us one the right way. We're looking into doing chromoly but that's not etched in stone. It will be plenty strong, and that much is etched in stone.

That's Raffa's arse in the black, Craig's arse in the green, and my arse in the camo.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_0758-XL_zps4801712d.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMG_0758-XL_zps4801712d.jpg.html)

Dave Little
06-30-2014, 11:50 PM
You boys are in there like swimwear

69HemiGTX
07-01-2014, 04:03 AM
I've missed a lot by being away for almost a year. You have one really sweet ride. Out of curiosity, I searched for Oklahoma's definition of a motorcycle and was pleased to find this:

A motorcycle is any motor vehicle having:

1. A seat or saddle for the use of each rider;

2. Not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor; and

3. A combustion engine with a piston or rotor displacement of one hundred fifty cubic centimeters (150 cu cm) or greater.

47 O.S. § 1-135

redsox
07-01-2014, 08:42 AM
that suuuuuuuuuucks john. without too much monday morning quarterbacking, i gotta say, it did look a little lightly built in the swinger. whats the weight on that rig? anyway,,, no matter. i'm sure you and the mad scientist will overbuild one that will look better, last longer, and improve performance. but hurry up. summer is ripping by WOT.

fabiodriven
07-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Everything happens for a reason Dan and yes, it was a bit skimpy. The bike is really not that heavy and again you are correct as over building will be the plan. I am far more concerned with strength as opposed to weight. It will be back together when the bike is ready, it will let me know when that is, but in the meantime the Buell will suffice. :-)

DohcBikes
07-01-2014, 12:27 PM
I've been thinking about this since I first read about the issues in your Trikefest post. Certainly don't want the 230ex-r to end up with a cracking swingarm from the rigors of street riding, but I also think damage over time will be tough to avoid.

This has me leaning away from the option of the high psi, low profile 18 inch tires. Although not technically road legal, the kenda speed racer fronts that are mounted now will give sufficiently, so that the swingarm and frame don't take the full abuse from the intense pressure that can be exerted during certain maneuvers on the street. I can drift it rather easily with these tires when I want to, and to be honest they have been great in the dirt as well.

Keep in mind that once you make that swingarm super rigid, the next place to take the force is going to be a motorcycle frame that was not designed to handle the kind of twisting our bikes endure from having so much width and traction on the street.

fabiodriven
07-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I was already going to be looking at the frame, thank you.

The dirt riding is what caused the breakage, not the street. I can assure you that you will never exert the forces on the road that you will off road on that swing arm. If it held up in the dirt, it will hold up in the street.

I can also assure you that although small diameter, high pressure tires will transmit more jolts, larger diameter, low pressure tires are not what I want on the street. They will make it harder to steer (I.E. harder on the axle bearings) and give a lot of undesirable wobble. Just about anyone that has ridden a regular trike on the road can attest to that. I'll continue carving corners.

I went by the steel place today to order some material. Apparently chromoly is a brand name and not a type of metal? I didn't want to start an argument with the guy as I really didn't have any facts to back up my thinking, and he's the guy at the steel place that does this every day. You do learn something every day and that was my lesson for today. So I ended up ordering some 1.5" x 3" rectangular stock with a 3/16ths thickness. I looked at the 1/8th inch and was fairly certain it would work, but over building was my objective so I opted for the 3/16ths. I can always lighten that if I have to but I can't make 1/8th heavier.

DohcBikes
07-01-2014, 01:40 PM
The impact on the swingarm from street riding is completely different that what it experiences on the trail. You are probably right about seeing more abuse off-road, but it is designed to take that abuse. You may also be right about it being the dirt that broke it, or the cracks may have started before the dirt riding. Either way, my main point is that the stronger you make the swingarm, the more likely the frame is to crack.

Of course the street is harder on axle bearings, but there is no way you will convince me that harder tires are easier on them. My tires in no way make it harder to steer, in fact it was way too easy to steer before I adjusted the frontend. They don't wobble even a tiny bit at any speed.

I'm glad our bikes are not close to the same, I don't like having the same thing as others. Thats why I built mine the way I did. Knowing that I can stand beside mine and fairly easily pick the entire bike up off the ground, I'm sure the super light weight helps mine perform well with speed racers.

Your bike probably would not handle as well with soft tires, I agree. It wasn't a recommendation to you. I know better than that.

Oh hey your steel guy is full of shlt. Chromium Molybdenum steel is definitely not a brand name. It's an alloy.

fabiodriven
07-01-2014, 01:52 PM
I appreciate the advice but there are quite a few things I am way ahead of you on. Don't let me prevent you from sharing knowledge, I'm all for that, but don't think you're teaching me everything. Don't forget who's building this bike. ;)

I haven't researched the cromoly thing yet, but I tend to agree with you.

I'm glad our bikes are not close to the same,

This I will wholeheartedly agree with you on! :lol:
Don't take that the wrong way, everyone has different opinions. That's what makes us all beautiful. You better believe we'd be going for trike rides on the road together if we lived closer, but my bike is my personality in mechanical form. I'm amazed I didn't build it myself. I did manifest it however. 230cc's would get old to me quick. I was just trying to think of how I could make mine faster without losing reliability. I don't think I'll mess with it. My (mostly) stock bikes always run like Swiss watches and 650cc's is OK for now I guess.

DohcBikes
07-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I appreciate the advice but there are quite a few things I am way ahead of you on. Don't let me prevent you from sharing knowledge, I'm all for that, but don't think you're teaching me everything. Don't forget who's building this bike. ;)I really dont know where the miscommunication is here. I'm not giving you advice. I'm participating in a discussion and giving my opinion. Your interpretation of my input is beyond my control, but interesting nonetheless.

Obviously a different animal than the 650 altogether, but this 230cc will surprise anybody that rides it, that is no doubt. It's really, really light. Also, my bike is getting a 30+hp 250cc DOHC motor sometime soon, because i also like to go fast.

I hope at least once someday we do take a ride down the street!

Looking forward to the swingarm build.

fabiodriven
07-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks again! It's just that sometimes too much information (from those not seeing this first hand) might lead to the misinterpretation of my thoughts and thread. Again, I do appreciate suggestions and we are very much on the same page. I am not picking up the steel until Monday so I wanted to sleep on the swing arm thickness as I can also call and get it changed to 1/8th. I also wanted to look at the frame again when I got home. The guy kind of rushed me out of there which didn't leave me much time to think. That should tell you how much alike we are thinking. I just didn't realize someone else was going to be writing my thoughts, haha.

fabiodriven
07-02-2014, 04:44 AM
After talking to Steve last night and sleeping on it I'm changing my order to 1/8th today.

fabiodriven
07-04-2014, 01:27 AM
I've had more people than I can even remember asking me about swing arms to do this conversion as that is the major component that the average Joe would have a little trouble maybe. I can fab and I've extended swing arms. I also have some measuring equipment. I went over the process in my head however, and I came to the conclusion that I could not make a swing arm true without more help and equipment. Steve and I are going to put our heads together which will be more than enough brain power to make this happen, I'm not concerned at all about that. We're obviously going to have to make a jig, which brings me to my original point.

We're going to make at least two swing arms. One for myself and one for Steve. We touched on it a bit and depending on how they come together, if Steve feels like it, there may be a chance he might make some more. The rest of the fab work on the bike is chicken, so this would be the major component to get the ball rolling. Obviously if you have the equipment and know how you could just make one yourself which is fine, have at it. I can't speak for Steve whether or not he'll even want to make more, but for the people that have been asking me just keep your eyes open. We could call it a Fabcrasher or or Dirtdriven or something stupid.

atc007
07-04-2014, 07:17 AM
I know if it were me. I would be Begging for the input of guys like Kasey and Billy Golightly ,to name a couple lol. I'm Sure it will turn out just great. But those fellers have been around this track a couple times :)

fabiodriven
07-04-2014, 09:51 AM
That's right Bill, you would be. :-)

This is very much within our capabilities, very much.

Billy Golightly
07-04-2014, 10:10 AM
I was considering seeing if I could bother you to borrow it while it was off so I could make a jig or make adapter for it to use in one of mine...lol. You guys got it under control though it sounds like.

jays375
07-04-2014, 10:32 AM
I have no doubt it will be fine.Both you and Steve will have no problem with it.Glad you switched to 1/8 wall material.The 3/16 was a little over kill.

fabiodriven
07-04-2014, 10:57 AM
William, if we do make two right off the bat Steve won't be using his anytime soon. We could send it out to you. Again, that's assuming we do two right off.

ironchop
07-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Cromoly is not a brand name. It is a type of alloy steel but the word cromoly or CrMo or Cromo denotes a type of steel alloy with Cromium (cro) and Molybdenum (Moly).

If it were a brand name, it surely would be trademarked. We typically use 4130, 4140, 4152 prehard ( for our firearm parts), 4145, 4150, etc.

The '41' in the first two digits denotes a steel alloy containing Cromium and Molybdenum in varying concentrations as well as other metals......the last two digits denotes the carbon content....example : 4130 has .3 % carbon and 4150 has .5% carbon in the alloy. More carbon content makes for a harder steel. Harder can also mean more brittle as John and DC aready knows.

All kinds of companies make cromoly steel so. I dont see how that guy got that idea

ironchop
07-05-2014, 05:34 PM
This explains it better than I can:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/41xx_steel

fabiodriven
07-06-2014, 02:14 AM
I hear ya Doug. DC was telling me to bring up the number 4130 when I go back so I will. The steel guy and myself will be having a discussion, that much is for sure!

Dave Little
07-06-2014, 02:48 AM
The steel guy and myself will be having a discussion, that much is for sure!

Don't bother...he hasn't earned it from you. I'd find another steel guy that don't do hot tub impersonations. My2

Billy Golightly
07-06-2014, 08:04 AM
www.McMaster.com is great for small amounts of 4130. I've bought what totals a few thousand from them over the years I'm sure. They even have it in metric sizes which is pretty nice for certain projects!

ironchop
07-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Yes, just ask for 4130 tubing. I've also heard it referred to as aircraft tubing.

We use McMaster Carr for many of our small billets but I will warn you that they are higher priced than most metal outlets locally. Our weld shop side inventories flat, billet, and tubing and it is considerably cheaper to buy 12' sticks and saw it up yourselves.

There was a great metal shop in Indy whose name I can't recall where I used to get oval and elliptical 4130 from when I built a couple of springer frontends for some choppers I built back ten plus yrs ago. Looked trick as F#$% !!

fabiodriven
07-08-2014, 09:54 PM
After this tear down, I am declaring this bike officially built by me (and Steve).

The first builder obviously had the right idea and the template was there. Sometimes just taking the initiative is the hardest part, but the execution does show his inexperience in this build. This bike will be thrashed and it will have to stand up to that no matter what.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0812_zpsed832d98.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0812_zpsed832d98.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0811_zps51796c5c.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0811_zps51796c5c.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0808_zpsab372873.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0808_zpsab372873.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0807_zps9374b137.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0807_zps9374b137.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0806_zps1873a8b9.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0806_zps1873a8b9.jpg.html)

This is our gusset material-

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0804_zps8cc7b444.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0804_zps8cc7b444.jpg.html)

Nah just kidding. Now before you can say "calm down DOHC, not really", we are obviously using that chunk of steel that Steve just had "laying around":wondering to make jig. If all goes according to plan, we (or maybe just Steve, who knows) will be able to make more swing arms after this one.

There will be a lot of gusseting and bracing added to the existing bike frame as well.

jays375
07-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Is that braze I see?God Steve can't be sleeping these days.Must be all kinds of ideas rolling through his head.just document stuff please.I'm gonna need a new project.

fabiodriven
07-08-2014, 10:19 PM
I thought it was braze as well Jays, but I looked closer and dismissed it as surface rust. Some of those areas were still covered by paint longer than others but now that someone else saw what I did I'm going to look closer.

fabiodriven
07-17-2014, 10:42 PM
So far I've done this all by myself but again, I wouldn't be doing it without Steve's shop and equipment. Steve's part will be coming up soon and is a bit more in-depth then what I've been doing, but this stuff is just as important. We're not screaming right through this as we had expected. Life happens as you all know. Broads, beach, dames, Unadilla, skirts, Buell... There just isn't enough hours in the day as some of you know.

So very basically put, I cut out some gussets and welded them in. We're waiting on some aluminum stock for the jig which will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0823_zps9b0b66ad.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0823_zps9b0b66ad.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0824_zps45b6a9f5.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0824_zps45b6a9f5.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0825_zpsa8e5c759.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0825_zpsa8e5c759.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0826_zpsbf5dd8ca.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0826_zpsbf5dd8ca.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0827_zpscc12ea87.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0827_zpscc12ea87.jpg.html)

Dirtcrasher
07-18-2014, 07:07 PM
I simply cannot believe 3 places including our nearest steel distributor and a custom shop I stopped in said 4130 Chromoly was a brand name only and not a type of steel :lol:

Thats scary.......

fabiodriven
09-11-2014, 10:31 PM
I wasn't going to post until we were done, as we've finally been moving forward again, but I couldn't wait. The swing arm should be done by next week. I've had a lot of big things going on lately including, but hardly limited to, a completely new line of work for me. Then Steve got hospitalized at one point, all things that are either important or beyond our control.

So obviously Steve is the machinist, I only assist in that aspect of things. I've said it before, I couldn't do this without him. We've both been a little surprised with how much is actually involved with keeping things lined up where they need to be. We have the luxury of having the old swing arm, which once straightened was a usable template. The jig holds the swing arm right where it needs to be and I'm leaving at least one leg attached at all times in order to preserve our dimensions, as one thing the previous builder did do was build it nice and straight. This is a massive advantage for us, as we both know we could build one from scratch just building and measuring solely off the jig or "free hand" so to speak, but it would be much more difficult. We did have to straighten the old swing arm before we could use it as our pattern as it did get very twisted. I am doing all of the welding, grinding, cutting, and bending. These pics were taken over three trips over to Steve's I think? I only have a few hours here and there though after work.

I am putting every bit of spare time I can towards this getting done ASAP, but I can't do anything on the weekends as I spend most of that time in Vermont. I have been blown away by the amount of dirt mountain roads up there, it's absolutely astonishing how far you can drive on the most beautiful dirt roads, it's literally endless. I have been up there enough without my trike and can take no more. I am really looking forward to destroying those roads as soon as I can!

Thanks for looking and thanks to Steve and DOHC for a killer deal on parts!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0981_zpsc6160de6.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0981_zpsc6160de6.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0982_zps71ea6312.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0982_zps71ea6312.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0987_zps29aaa947.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0987_zps29aaa947.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0988_zps24dd17a4.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0988_zps24dd17a4.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0989_zpsb33885da.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0989_zpsb33885da.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0990_zpsa090cc80.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0990_zpsa090cc80.jpg.html)

jays375
09-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Looking good.Think Steve is getting into this project.Should be a fun one for sure.That little shop of his is really set up.What mileage were you getting out of a tank of gas?That was a major complaint I had about my XR.Tank was just a tad small for me.

fabiodriven
09-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Thank you! The tank is small and she drinks it quick!

aldochina
09-12-2014, 12:59 AM
awsome guys! hopefully get it back together for some lucious fall riding!! I will join you on the 2 wheeled version up in VT, just say the word!! I have not done much riding of any type this summer! Be so nice if you dudes were just a bit closer, I almost feel like i'm in the shop with you's!

fabiodriven
10-18-2014, 08:59 PM
OK, so it's been a little over a month since I last updated this. In that time, Steve and I have logged anywhere from 2 to maybe 6 hours tops per week working on this. That's just not much time at all. Both of our schedules have been quite full and even with this being a top priority of mine, it's been hard to find time. Today was the first full day I've been able to put in as I usually go away on the weekends. After about 9 hours today, we are finally on the home stretch. I know I had suggested that we may be able to make more of these swing arms, but I'll say right now this has been a much bigger undertaking than we had anticipated. I could possibly replicate this with the use of Steve's shop after having watched him on the milling machine, but I wouldn't try without Steve's help. Steve could build these, but it is A LOT of work. I'll say right now, I'm not interested in doing this for anyone else and if Steve is expect to give him a grand or so. If that seems outrageous to you then go build one yourself and tell me what it's worth for you to make one for someone else.

At this point I thought we were on the home stretch. Then I did a test fit and figured out that we had no room for the shock linkage.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0993_zps7dd32b38.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0993_zps7dd32b38.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG0994_zps0e08e5ce.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG0994_zps0e08e5ce.jpg.html)

Now the last thing you want to do with a structural piece of metal is begin clearancing, but we had no choice. After cutting this enough for the shock linkage to fit through, I thought for an entire weekend about how we would work around this. The answer came to me and solved not only our structural issue, but two other things at the same time. One piece of metal, three things handled.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1032_zps8a7fb2cd.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1032_zps8a7fb2cd.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1033_zpsfe879a79.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1033_zpsfe879a79.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1034_zps6ef9c01f.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1034_zps6ef9c01f.jpg.html)

Had to clearance a bit for one of the shock bolts as well.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1035_zps7186cc9d.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1035_zps7186cc9d.jpg.html)

Here's Steven fly cutting our miracle chunk of metal that is structural support, and both upper and lower chain guide.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1061_zps4766e4c1.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1061_zps4766e4c1.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1062_zps565862e0.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1062_zps565862e0.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1064_zps7969052f.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1064_zps7969052f.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1065_zps1adbd902.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1065_zps1adbd902.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1066_zpsb15f13aa.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1066_zpsb15f13aa.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1067_zpsab626af0.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1067_zpsab626af0.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1068_zpsb54d293b.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1068_zpsb54d293b.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1069_zps25cb9dc1.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1069_zps25cb9dc1.jpg.html)

The swinger is hanging in my garage as I type this, I just gave it it's first coat of primer. I'll go out and paint it in a minute. Tomorrow we have to do some work to make the swinger bearings right. The previous builder had them all messed up and seized in there. God bless the man for making the template of my dream bike, but the execution certainly did leave a bit to be desired. We've got 30 or 40 hours into this swing arm. I could replicate his in probably 4 hours or so.

tripledog
10-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Great pics and excellent craftsmanship! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Your XR650l was about 20 miles from my home, but many, many dollars from what I could afford. So much nicer looking than the Can Am trikes that seem to be multiplying like rabbits around here. IMHO.

jays375
10-19-2014, 06:40 AM
Carbon steel was to easy.Should have been aluminum.Joking!That swinger should do the job without a problem.It turned out very nice and well made.Do you think that on road use is worse than off road?Where I live the roads are in horrible condition.

fabiodriven
10-19-2014, 10:00 AM
There isn't a doubt in my mind it's strong enough now. I think we discussed that earlier in the thread, about whether being off road or on road are tougher on it. I'd say off road was tougher on it for sure as I rode it on road for quite a while and it held up, but it broke literally as soon as I took it off road. Thanks Jays!

Billy Golightly
10-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Looks great! The first arched swingarm I built, I had the same problem with figuring out how the hell to get the shock bolt and linkage in/out :lol: You guys did a great job of solving it, and I like that big side gusset also, thats going to work well I think.

fabiodriven
10-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Alright, well she's all done! Had a couple unrelated electrical issues today, turned out a couple of wires got pinched in the steering stop. But the swing arm, oh the swing arm! Boy did we do a number on that bad boy! The bike handles much, much, much better than it ever has. It didn't like to wheelie before, it would just kind of hop and spin the tires. You really had to yank it to get the front end up. I had always attributed that to the small tires and the stink bug stance of the bike. Turns out it was a very flimsy swing arm causing that and other issues, such as wobbling and poor road manners. I really couldn't be any happier with the results of our hard work. I can't thank Steve enough for opening his shop to me and spending as much time as he did on this project. It was a lot of work but now it's done! Hooray!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1071_zps3a883646.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1071_zps3a883646.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1070_zps24fb3e17.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1070_zps24fb3e17.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1072_zps65583f2a.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1072_zps65583f2a.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1073_zps0c7ab237.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1073_zps0c7ab237.jpg.html)

Louis Mielke
10-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Someone pull that seat cover tighter so it matches the rest of the awesome trike!

fabiodriven
10-19-2014, 09:08 PM
It looked great off the trike but when I installed the seat today it looked like that! What happens is you have to kind of force the seat down like a banana and in turn it bends the pan up a little. I'll work on it!

tripledog
10-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Very nicely done, but where is the kickstand? If you altered the kickstand mount a bit it might be a good place for your inspection sticker, but it might get you pulled over. But that ride will probably get you pulled over anyway. Must be a great feeling to send the cops off scratching their heads.

fabiodriven
10-19-2014, 09:28 PM
The Massachusetts inspection sticker goes on the license plate. Steve really wanted to cut the kicker mount off but I wasn't sure, so there it stays. Haha. Yeah it'll get pulled over no matter what.

Louis Mielke
10-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Gotta be honest, this machine makes me want to build my own, probably not street legal but still, awesome machine!

Louis Mielke
10-19-2014, 09:30 PM
I'd seriously look into going to trx450r brake rotor and caliper, more ground clearance and the caliper can handle much more heat.

fabiodriven
10-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Thank you Louis! To each their own, but why not street legal?

I wouldn't bother messing with the brake unless heat or ground clearance were to become an issue. Are you implying a 450R caliper and rotor are a bolt-on with a 300EX carrier and axle?

El Camexican
10-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Looks, great, I like the long upper slider, but am wondering if it has a drain at the lowest point? Would hate to see it rust out on you.

Louis Mielke
10-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Mainly because I don't feel like getting pulled over here in MD constantly. Lol

Nah, wouldn't be bolt on. I just remember on my first 500 build I used a 400ex caliper, which isn't much bigger than a 300ex caliper and I over heated the brakes all the time. Even swapped calipers thinking I had a dud.

The 450 calipers definitely seem to stay cooler and fade less, just figured they where similar sized machines. I know that I would want as little fade as possible on the road but that's just me.

I didn't realize it was a 300ex disc and caliper. In that case the disc should be the same size as a 450, the 400 is larger in diameter.

fabiodriven
10-19-2014, 10:54 PM
I was planning on putting a small drain or two Mexinadian. I just didn't do it. I will though. The paint that is on it now is just chincy spray bomb, so no worries if I have to drill it after the fact.

Louis the street-legalness is the best part! And thank you for the tidbits about the brake. It works fine for now, so I can direct my attention at the spaghetti wiring harness and possibly that carb you were recommending. Wires first for certain though. Like tomorrow.

El Camexican
10-19-2014, 11:14 PM
I was planning on putting a small drain or two Mexinadian. I just didn't do it. I will though.

Don't be shy to make them big enough to let a small pebble pass. You may want to put some on the main tubes as well.

fabiodriven
11-08-2014, 05:49 PM
I finally got the XR up to Vermont last weekend. The weather was cold but the rain held off long enough for me to get a few hours in. I rode through town to Okemo Mountain, which is where I had the photo shoot. After descending from the mountain I stopped in at Dunkin Donuts in downtown Ludlow, Vermont. I was standing in line when I noticed the police officer parked next to my trike outside and I wasn't surprised. As I approached the officer sitting in his cruiser he told me that he had gotten a lot of calls about me. I told him I didn't doubt it. They all ask if I go through this a lot and I always tell them yes, every time I ride. They've all been very brief and apologetic lately for wasting my time and usually send me right on my way. This guy was really nice. He introduced himself and we shook hands and he told me he knew it was legit before I came out but he just had to be seen checking it out, just doing his job. Nothing wrong with that I'd say. The bike has been great. It's not "perfect" right now but it's ten times the machine it was when I first started dating it, errr, bought it. The swing arm is an absolute work of art if I do say so myself. I'm mighty proud of Stephen and myself for accomplishing that. Thanks for looking.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1092_zpsf31e336d.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1092_zpsf31e336d.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1091_zpsbfd4b494.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1091_zpsbfd4b494.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG10931_zpsd73da119.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG10931_zpsd73da119.jpg.html)

DohcBikes
11-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Lookin great, excellent to see it back on the streets. Kudos on the Swingarm guys, really looks at home on there and adds to the overall tough look of the machine. Great pics too.

Fancy the police finding you at the donut shop.

Ol Deuce
11-08-2014, 07:33 PM
What a transformation for your Street legal trike! she really looks Grand setting on the asphalt ! My 250sx is a legal asphalt runner. Montana is a cool state ! Horn, Brake lite,HI-Low front lite!and that's it !! BTW thanks for the ride!!!

fabiodriven
12-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Onward we roll with the evolution of this trike. Today I put the 4 SNOWS on along with the new front tire for the snow. This thing has been a hoot from the word go obviously, but it will really shine when the snow starts to fly. One of my favorite things to do since I was a kid is bomb up the roads in the snow. I rode my SX all the way to Steve's like two years ago and that's roughly 11 miles away. It's something that I've been lucky enough to have gotten away with for years on end. You can't really run on a trike, the cops have wheels as well. Unless you want to jump in the woods or something but if there's enough snow that's easier said than done many times. Now a sled you can run with. Trust me, they have a really hard time catching you on a sled so there's no need to go low profile. Now I don't have to worry about any of that (unless they wise up to non-DOT tires). I'll watch the snow come down and I'll wheel right out of my driveway and along my merry way. I swapped out the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket for a 13 tooth for starters so we'll see what happens. I have three size counter shaft sprockets and three axle sprockets. I ordered a set of handle bars and my ice studs just now so the next step is she'll be getting dressed up to run the ice at Raffa's Icefest. I'm doing a thumb throttle conversion stat. I have always been impartial to the the twist/thumb controversy, but I must say this bike just really feels like it needs a thumb throttle. I feel as though it would behoove me to have the thumb in place before racing.

Yet another adventure this bike will partake in is "When Hell Hole Freezes Over", which means the place we ride is covered in snow. The Hell Hole gets soft in the winter, both figuratively and literally. The snow cover makes the trails more like actual riding paths rather than boulder-strewn creek beds, so even unsuspendeds can come play in the snow. I wouldn't take the XR into the Hell Hole otherwise, but with the snow she'll be the bell of the ball on the mountain. Yet another use for this fine machine. Everyone should own one!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1144_zpsd4ef00af.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1144_zpsd4ef00af.jpg.html)

SteveCZ28
12-18-2014, 07:31 AM
looking good man. keep up the great work, and updates

fabiodriven
01-17-2015, 07:08 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG12351_zpsa08866cb.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG12351_zpsa08866cb.jpg.html)

coolpool
01-18-2015, 01:36 AM
That looks badass fabio. Love the pic with the cruiser, too funny if you ask me! And those 4 Snows should allow you to hook up nicely. Are they still on there? I am jealous that you can run legally on the streets. I did hear from a mountie (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) today (as he was driving my golf cart, lol) that they usually only look for booze and impaired drivers. Whew what a relief.

El Camexican
01-18-2015, 09:50 AM
they usually only look for booze and impaired drivers.

In Canada that's cultural profiling eh!

Fabio, how do you like that Kenda?

fabiodriven
01-18-2015, 12:43 PM
I took the 4-Snows off yesterday coolpool to convert it for the ice. They can go back on in two wags of a cat's tail. They are not DOT approved, nor is the Kenda front, but I will be going down the road with them on there regardless once we get some snow, if we get some snow.

The Kenda is great Canucksican! It handled perfect first shot out there, I couldn't be more proud. I did some thing right I guess, haha.

El Camexican
01-19-2015, 07:29 PM
The Kenda is great Canucksican! It handled perfect first shot out there, I couldn't be more proud. I did some thing right I guess, haha.

Figured you would. I love mine so much I've seriously contemplated putting two on the rear. I wish they would take that sweet pliable carcass and put some square knobs on it. Still have the last set of rears you recommended I run sitting in the shop (Duros was it?) waiting for their day, but I can't believe they are as flexible as that Kenda.

While I'm on the soap box dang it turns great!!!

fabiodriven
02-03-2015, 10:50 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1266_zpsy4purvvd.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1266_zpsy4purvvd.jpg.html)

Zach
02-03-2015, 07:36 PM
I love following all the adventures this bike goes on, such a sweet machine.

lilgsxr1000
03-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Sorry you had a prob with the swinger, when built I had no plans of ever riding it in the dirt. It was a test swinger that just stayed. As for the kick stand mount, I never removed it because I wanted to be able to show any cop, where the original kick stand bolted. I think it couldn't have went to a better person and I do miss riding it.

fabiodriven
03-12-2015, 07:20 PM
No worries on the swinger Bob! The price was right and it's been worth every penny bud. The template was there, that made it a lot easier for me to work with! Thank you!

cochran
08-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Resurrecting this thread. Would love to find out what front tire that is on the Tecate rim. I would like to put it on one of my T3s and see how it works on a flat track.

fabiodriven
08-28-2015, 10:23 AM
I'll get back to this hopefully later today. Had a lot going on lately.

fabiodriven
08-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Resurrecting this thread. Would love to find out what front tire that is on the Tecate rim. I would like to put it on one of my T3s and see how it works on a flat track.

http://www.eccarts.com/22x10x10-RHOX-RXSR-Street-Golf-Cart-Tire-p/t-10-rxsr-street.htm

fabiodriven
08-28-2015, 03:58 PM
So as an update to this bike post Trikefest, it performed quite well there, when it wanted to. Not long before Trikefest the XR had shown a bit of stubbornness on hot starts from time to time. It was so soon before Trikefest that I hadn't much time to spend looking at it, so in the trailer it went. I bought a set of dirt wheels for it and had finished mounting them right before we left. This would be this machine's maiden voyage with dirt skins, ever as far as I know. When we got to Indiana I went for a couple of street rides straight off. I'd get 15 or twenty minutes from Haspin then double back and go a different way once I knew where I was. At one point I just happened to be riding past a trailer as a young guy on what appeared to be a mid to late 70's KE125, or it could have been a 100, was pulling out for a rip. He had a butt in his mouth and was classic Americana, as far as who you would expect to be ripping around on a KE. I was watching him pulling up close in the mirrors probably trying to figure out what I was riding, especially with a Massachusetts plate on it, haha. Haspin is in a VERY rural area, so it's surely not that often that any vehicle with a Massachusetts plate goes through there. That was Monday. So Tuesday I put the hiking boots on 'er and was all revved up to get 'er out on the trails. Crank, crank, crank, no run. I was slightly disappointed, but I still had the 'ol DR and the Zinger (friggin DR hauls the mail and runs like a Swiss watch btw). A little later Captain Weezy decided we should look at it, so we did. Not long after that Jonny Swinehart stepped in, so now we've got some heavy hitters. Bike appeared to have spark (which is under review), fuel, and compression. I was able to adjust the valves at home before we left for Haspin in a last Ditch;) effort, but they were all right in spec. I also thought it may had been as simple as a spark plug, as her jetting is certainly off. I threw one in at home and rode it a bunch with no more start failures, so I thought that may have been it. I brought extra plugs to Indiana, but that didn't fix the problem either. After a fairly decent amount of time with the three of us scratching our noggins, we had come up with nothing.

Fast forward to possibly Wednsday-ish... It was late, one or two a.m., and I had been at the Shoe Tree thoroughly enjoying the time and place the universe had me in at that moment, and also those that were there with me as well. It was a celebratorious time, as most times at Haspin are, and I had returned back to my camp. As I walked past the XR, I turned the key on. I knew the battery was dead after having labored to turn over the over half litre Honda quite a bit earlier that day. I hit the start button and the starter gritted its teeth and gave one good push which got a very decent "thunk" of combustion, more life than she's shown in a long time. I hit the button again, but just no juice. In a frenzy I dug out my jumper cables and hooked them up to my truck and then the bike. Instantly she came to life running perfect. I whipped the cables off and blazed into the night like a madman. Instantly I was amazed at how well the bike handled and how sure footed it was. The 650 seems tame on the roads, which was the only other place prior I had ridden it really, but it's a whole different ballgame in the dirt. You want to go faster, no problem. Grab the next gear up and throttle it in. I buzzed the Shoe Tree multiple times that night doing hot laps around Haspin until 3 a.m. or so. You really have to hand it to that place, I can't think of many other places you can do that. That bike is loud, very loud, plain and simple, and I was not taking it easy.

Once I got it on the drag strip I was extremely surprised. I beat more than one 250R (including Sam) and it stood right up on the 1-2 shift every time. I actually was right with a bike I would have never imagined it would hang with, a very fast first gen R that I have ridden myself quite a bit (thanks buddy!). It then decided to be a little jerk-arse again and not start at the drag strip. At that point Garry Crum stepped in and spent A LOT of time looking at the bike. He was stumped as well. (Thank you Garry!) When Garry Crum can't figure out your 650, it's time to do some homework. To his credit though, my bike has some ugly wiring and a lot of it. So when it runs on the strip it runs awesome. It handles great on Haspin's trails as far as cornering and control, but any kind of racing other than drag I wouldn't say it shines at. I ice raced it and got smoked pretty much. I was going to run it at Ashtabula but in retrospect I'm glad I wasn't able to make it there. These guys mean business these days and my bike is a dinosaur compared to what honkies be running currently. As a street bike and play bike, yes, do the conversion. Even as a trail bike it does well. I know it looks low in the pictures but I didn't need any more ground clearance than what is shown. The main trails in Haspin are not aggresive, and that's what I was riding with it. The rear suspension is adjustable and it can be brought up very easily. It was never intended for competition however and I'm behind the times for racing anyways, but it is still a fantastic bike when it runs.

Currently it is in my garage resting. The last time I went to start it the bike decided it wasn't running that day, and it's not started since. My work schedule has been very hectic and on top of that I've been very sick for about a month. I've missed some work and just began an extended leave of absence today to get this figured out. I can't concern myself with the bike right now but it's not going anywhere.

Special thanks to Jonny Swinehart, Captain Weezy, and Garry Crum for looking at my bike with me!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_12661_zps0yp6jx9o.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMG_12661_zps0yp6jx9o.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_1263_zpsbe6ol9kt.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMG_1263_zpsbe6ol9kt.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_1239_zpszpunmxww.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMG_1239_zpszpunmxww.jpg.html)

HairyJR
08-29-2015, 01:17 PM
"fabiodriven" with all that brain trust ( great guys ) I'm sure ya'll know about the common cdi module problem and the known test of tapping with a screwdriver handle. Did you try tapping? Had happen to me a couple times before discovering the problem.

"HJ" 220840 :beer

fabiodriven
08-29-2015, 02:16 PM
I'm completely unaware Hairy, but I'm all ears. I'm all for learning. I was under the assumption it may have a CDI problem, but there really was no basis of that theory, more of just a guess. :-)

HairyJR
08-29-2015, 07:33 PM
While at Glamis the first time it happened out in the dunes to my TRX250R XR650L motor hybrid, no spark, towed back to camp. Next morning started right up no problem. The next time it happened was a year later while setting at the bottom of Oldsmobile Hill, wouldn't start. A stranger looking at my quad saw I was having a problem with spark and told me to hit the back of the cdi module with a screwdriver handle and if it then starts its the solder connections inside the module. Went on the say a temporary fix was to put it in an oven @ 300 degrees for thirty minutes. After hitting it a couple smacks, fired right up. I don't know where your module is mounted, under the seat by the battery I believe give this a try and if it works there's a better way to fix than the oven.

"HJ" 220859 :beer

fabiodriven
08-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Awesome Hairy, greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I lack the health to attempt anything at this juncture but I will most likely order a CDI and replace it as soon as I can. Thank you very much bud.

honda atc guy
08-29-2015, 09:25 PM
I finally got the XR up to Vermont last weekend. The weather was cold but the rain held off long enough for me to get a few hours in. I rode through town to Okemo Mountain, which is where I had the photo shoot. After descending from the mountain I stopped in at Dunkin Donuts in downtown Ludlow, Vermont. I was standing in line when I noticed the police officer parked next to my trike outside and I wasn't surprised. As I approached the officer sitting in his cruiser he told me that he had gotten a lot of calls about me. I told him I didn't doubt it. They all ask if I go through this a lot and I always tell them yes, every time I ride. They've all been very brief and apologetic lately for wasting my time and usually send me right on my way. This guy was really nice. He introduced himself and we shook hands and he told me he knew it was legit before I came out but he just had to be seen checking it out, just doing his job. Nothing wrong with that I'd say. The bike has been great. It's not "perfect" right now but it's ten times the machine it was when I first started dating it, errr, bought it. The swing arm is an absolute work of art if I do say so myself. I'm mighty proud of Stephen and myself for accomplishing that. Thanks for looking.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1092_zpsf31e336d.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1092_zpsf31e336d.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG1091_zpsbfd4b494.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG1091_zpsbfd4b494.jpg.html)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMAG10931_zpsd73da119.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/fabiodriven/media/IMAG10931_zpsd73da119.jpg.html)

Don't know how I missed this thread until now, but love the trike! Awesome!! If I had only known you were going to be in Ludlow, I would've went there to check it out as Ludlow is extremely close to me. :beer

onformula1
08-30-2015, 01:16 AM
While at Glamis the first time it happened out in the dunes to my TRX250R XR650L motor hybrid, no spark, towed back to camp. Next morning started right up no problem. The next time it happened was a year later while setting at the bottom of Oldsmobile Hill, wouldn't start. A stranger looking at my quad saw I was having a problem with spark and told me to hit the back of the cdi module with a screwdriver handle and if it then starts its the solder connections inside the module. Went on the say a temporary fix was to put it in an oven @ 300 degrees for thirty minutes. After hitting it a couple smacks, fired right up. I don't know where your module is mounted, under the seat by the battery I believe give this a try and if it works there's a better way to fix than the oven.

"HJ" 220859 :beer

They have tons of problems on that bike, did you- replace it with a new OEM, buy a aftermarket set-up or reflow the solder yourself?

HairyJR
08-30-2015, 01:23 AM
"fabiodriven" there's a member on another forum who tells you step by step how to repair your cdi module, re-soldering, or you can send it to him to fix. He's located in New Brunswick, Canada, a neighbor to you. I could copy and paste the url to the thread on another forum if it's allowed, not sure of 3ww rules.....

"HJ" 220878 :beer

lilgsxr1000
10-14-2015, 08:04 PM
Just so you know that bike did it to me a year before I sold it. If I smacked the cdi it would run fine the rest of the day. I did replace the cdi with a new factory replacement right before you purchased it. If I was a betting man, and I am I would say it is about to die again.

HairyJR
10-15-2015, 01:25 AM
They have tons of problems on that bike, did you- replace it with a new OEM, buy a aftermarket set-up or reflow the solder yourself?

"Milner" sorry I missed your thread posting back then as I must of been typing my rely and posted only minutes after yours. I performed the oven trick and have had no problem since, but I am lucky enough to have another complete NX650 bike so I robbed its OEM module and carry it in my back pack just in case.

"HJ" 222774 :beer

Jones
10-24-2015, 08:12 PM
my oem cdi on my 2001 xrl hasnt caused me a problem. over 30000 miles now

200x Basket
10-08-2017, 05:29 PM
So what's the status of this bike? Reading this makes me want one.

fabiodriven
10-08-2017, 06:28 PM
So what's the status of this bike? Reading this makes me want one.

This bike is cool and useful and fun, but it frustrates me. Of my four trikes, the XR650L would be the one I would sell if I were to sell one. Literally the entire time I've owned it (four or five years now) this bike has had a problem with losing spark. It will start and run great, but then once you get it hot it requires a pop start to get going. The starter works the way it should and the engine turns over, but it will not start without a bump. It's never lost spark and died, it just won't start when you shut it off.

My electric diagnosis skills are not the best, so admittedly I was flying blind while trying to fix this. The first thought I had, confirmed by the intranets, was the CDI needed to be replaced. I replaced the CDI, bike started right up without hesitation, problem solved, right? Wrong. It failed me at a critical moment, Trikefest, and I was pretty pissed about that.

On to the next part, ignition coil. In my experience, the ignition coil very rarely fails. It happens, but it's uncommon. I replaced the coil and much to my surprise the bike fired right up! It must have been the ignition coil after all, right? Wrong. It plays possum. It won't start for months at a time but then for whatever reason when you replace other parts, it starts right up and acts fixed when it's really not.

Next part; stator. I replaced the stator after being left high and dry again at Mik6's house, just before I got a chance to hand Super350 his ass on his 250R. Again I was mad, and I thought I'd run out of electrical parts to replace at that point. I was ready to sell it and would have right then if it had been an option.

Then I spoke to a guy who runs a bike shop down by Mik, and he informed me that on the right side of this engine there is a crank trigger. I had no idea. He says that's my problem and to swap that out. Problem solved... Right?

200x Basket
10-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Lol, sounds like my luck. I've run across a cheap 650l and nay give it a shot.

HairyJR
10-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Fabio sorry to hear your still having electrical problems. Did I understand correctly that if you bump start it will run? If this is a fact than its not the CDI, Coil or Pulse Generator which is the component your local mechanic mentioned. Early on with my high compression "L" style motor I tried installing a MSD ignition, which never panned out, found that my handle bar switch gave me problems, bad push button contact along with the toggle on/off. Also read the wiring is a mess. Its been awhile sence looking at a wiring diagram but think there's two 12v power feeds to the CDI, one from ignition switch and another from the start solenoid, believe the second wire from the solenoid is to augment power loss through ignition switch (lights) and the other unknown fact that when your starter draws current approximately 1/3 its voltage power is used to energize starter magnet circuit when the rest too rotation. The start rotation is slow even when new.

Try the Pulse Generator but I think its in the wiring...... if all else fails do as I did, install a 24volt start system. Keep us posted.

"HJ" 246925 :beer

Blown 331
10-11-2017, 01:12 PM
My cousin has 2 650L's and has had spark issues on both. I dont know the details but he took the CDI's apart and soldered some loose connections, no problems since.

fabiodriven
10-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Fabio sorry to hear your still having electrical problems. Did I understand correctly that if you bump start it will run? If this is a fact than its not the CDI, Coil or Pulse Generator which is the component your local mechanic mentioned. Early on with my high compression "L" style motor I tried installing a MSD ignition, which never panned out, found that my handle bar switch gave me problems, bad push button contact along with the toggle on/off. Also read the wiring is a mess. Its been awhile sence looking at a wiring diagram but think there's two 12v power feeds to the CDI, one from ignition switch and another from the start solenoid, believe the second wire from the solenoid is to augment power loss through ignition switch (lights) and the other unknown fact that when your starter draws current approximately 1/3 its voltage power is used to energize starter magnet circuit when the rest too rotation. The start rotation is slow even when new.

Try the Pulse Generator but I think its in the wiring...... if all else fails do as I did, install a 24volt start system. Keep us posted.

"HJ" 246925 :beer

Hairy thanks very much for posting my friend. I've always had a feeling about the crappy wiring harness being bad, but every time I examine it I can't find any issues. Both the wiring harness and the shutoff switch are surely suspect. I always mess with the kill switch (not the ignition) when it decides not to start and it's never had any effect.

It did pop start no problem but I only did that once. It was the only time I ever tried that, it was Sanchez's idea. I told him no way it would pop start and he swore it would. Well it did, he was right. He's the one who explained to me why the stator was the problem and it sounded like it made sense, but obviously that wasn't the issue.

It's disappointing to hear the crank trigger is not likely to fix the issue, now I'm not sure what to do, lol.

3 Wheel Drive
10-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Lol, sounds like my luck. I've run across a cheap 650l and nay give it a shot.

You should just buy Fabio's trike. It probably just needs a new spark plug boot or a wires grounding out. Either way you both win!

HairyJR
10-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Got to appreciate Sanchez's knowledge and always there to help. I pulled him once to bump start his 500 at the Invasion, think it was flooded. OK back to your problem, the biggest condition I've found with the "L" motors is the start system turns over so slow there's not enough vacuum through the carburetor to bring fuel in as I assume it does rotate but not start. Know with the brain trust you had at TF pulled spark plug wire checking spark next time pull the plug and squirt a shoot of fuel, never know. These type of problems bug me until solved.

"HJ" 246934 :beer

fabiodriven
10-11-2017, 11:35 PM
Yeah we spent quite a bit of time messing with the spark plug wire and boot and changed the ignition coil so the cap has been off. They do seem like they turn over "too slow" to me, always have. I wonder if that's the whole problem.

Coaltrain
10-12-2017, 01:07 AM
Just now reading this thread and I gotta say that I love that trike. I am jealous and I wish I had one like it. I'd love to get an xr400 0r a 650 and do the same conversion and tag it here in Florida..I'm going to add this to my growing list of things to build. I'll have squeeze it in between the scratch built airboat, the airplane, the mud bogger and my jeeps that I'm currently spreading my free time and limited resources between. My problem is that I want it all!!!! Would be absolutely killer to be able to hop on that thing and ride around town.

HairyJR
10-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Fabio I know you have mechanical skills but will require a little planning and time on your part. If it doesn't start right now try using 24 volts to the starter. Believe start cable connects to a stud on the starter, VERY IMPORTANT disconnect it there or at the solenoid stud to eliminate possible 24 volt backfeed to the CDI. Connect two 12 volt batteries ( any 12v batteries, car, motorcycle or combination of ) in series, negative cable grounded to engine/frame and then touching the positive 24v cable to starter post/cable. Should gave you the speed and torque to start and doing this also eliminates the 12v OEM CDI system voltage loss during push button starting. Just another trouble shooting option.

"HJ" 246940 :beer

fabiodriven
10-12-2017, 11:45 AM
I bet that would work but I was meditating last night and some details that I forgot came back to me.

It actually has started with an extremely slow crank before. This engine, when it does run, starts on the very first revolution of the crankshaft if not the second revolution. It starts so quickly that it can actually startle you, pops right off. So if it doesn't start right away it's just not going to start.

The problem isn't fuel because we've tried ether in past which has zero effect whatsoever.

Like I said, it has started with a slow crank, like with just enough juice in the battery to rotate the crankshaft one time, and it's popped off. It's definitely losing power to the spark during cranking. Sounds like 24v might cure that either way.

HairyJR
10-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Early on I had same problem, if it didn't fire up on first revolution needed to than be bump started. Remember the 24volt system is for starting only, everything runs on 12 volts, I use two batteries.

"HJ" 246944 :beer

fabiodriven
03-31-2018, 05:55 PM
It's time to get this machine going and spruced up a bit. When I left it last, it was still having hot start issues. It's had this problem as long as I've owned it. The CDI, stator, and ignition coil have all been replaced, and none have fixed the problem. The bike always acts like it's fixed though, it thinks this is funny. It won't start, parts get replaced, then it fires right up! It always ends up leaving me stranded in the end though.

This time I replaced the pulse generator. Upon reassembly of the bike, it didn't fire. I was frustrated, but I pulled the spark plug out and it threw a bright blue spark, so then I reinstalled it. The bike fired right up as it should. I don't know, I don't feel reassured, haha. Time will tell.

The two winters prior to this past winter the XR was ridden in snow storms on the road, and as such it got dosed with road salt. Also it's been subjected to Haspin clayment multiple times, and both clayment as well as road salt cause rust. The XR was starting to get crusty, specifically the head pipe and exhaust as a total, as well as the swing arm and axle and corresponding drive and brake components.

The swing arm was painted at the very end of 2014 hastily with no primer and tossed on the bike barely in time for Icefest 2015, so the paint was roached. The axle was never tightened properly, as the Gforce 300EX axle has been known to come up short and never tighten fully without the addition of a spacer. The axles were at one time being machined wrong, and mine is one of those axles. As such, we threw it together at the end of 2014 and I said I'd get to it later. Well it's later now, haha. That's what I initially took this machine apart for, then I realized I couldn't leave the bike so crusty. That's when I took the exhaust off as well as the swing arm.

I stripped, primed, and painted the swing arm and rear brake hub and rotor today, but it was barely warm enough outside to do so. The exhaust system was stripped and is inside the house right now because the temperature outside has dropped. I'm painting it with black Eastwood exhaust coating using a brush. I'll also be replacing the head pipe nuts with stainless as well as the brake hub nuts which were chewed and gross. I'll toss a new chain on it as well.

I've started using my GoPro like product finally, so I'm looking forward to making some videos bombing around the roads. The bike will be back together really soon but it's not currently registered. I'll be registering it this week.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180331/8b0a829c4a73336e6e6d49785ff0f4c3.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180331/53ac7b018063cfffa978ff28b5675119.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180331/30a7c68e6c4eeac994fd11ec8d1140f3.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180331/7cc1f3856781d0b635bfbf26cdef51e6.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180331/a81248d7e1d7ba084b2762f2058dcc63.jpg

6bt
04-01-2018, 12:40 AM
Nice man, where at in NY?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

fabiodriven
04-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Nice man, where at in NY?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I live in Massachusetts actually.

fabiodriven
04-10-2018, 06:39 PM
I'm getting this pig back together and I realized my shock linkage was contacting the swing arm preventing me from being able to get the swing arm back on without force. I remembered the tolerances were tight when we built this swing arm, but nothing was hitting. It then dawned on me that I removed the factory XR dog bone and installed an adjustable lowering link months after the swing arm was built. I must have just crammed it in there thinking I'd deal with it later, so I did. It wasn't hitting when the suspension compressed, but rather at full droop. I had to massage the swing arm slightly then throw a quick bead on it where I had removed material.

The stripping and painting went well but this machine will never be a show bike. The head pipe looks 1000% better and I replace much of what I disassemble with stainless hardware as I reassemble. I'm looking forward to riding it down the road again soon.

One problem I've had the entire time I've owned this machine is a soft front brake. No matter how I bleed it or what I do, it is always soft. The system consists of the 2002 XR master cylinder (possibly original) and 1985 Tecate line and caliper. Today I took the caliper off and held it up in the air over the bike while I bled it, I gravity bled it, and I even pushed the fluid back up from the caliper to the master multiple times, this thing will not build pressure. I don't like playing guessing games, but I don't have many clues. It does not "bleed down" if you hold the brake, it will hold pressure for a very long time if not indefinitely if you hold the lever to the bar. The system also doesn't leak anywhere. These two clues tell me that it's unlikely (but not impossible) for the problem to be the master, and it's likely not the caliper I'm thinking (but don't know that either), so I'm assuming (but don't know) that the brake hose is compromised in some way. It's not bubbling obviously or anything, but I'm thinking it might be old and weak enough to flex. I'm open to suggestions though if anyone has dealt with a similar issue.

Thanks for reading.

Rob Canadian
04-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Hey. wonderboy was having a issue with his 350X with soft brakes. 2nd page. Other links int he thread also.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/184528-85-350X-Rebuild

fabiodriven
04-10-2018, 09:14 PM
Hey. wonderboy was having a issue with his 350X with soft brakes. 2nd page. Other links int he thread also.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/184528-85-350X-Rebuild

That's the thread I was looking for, thanks a lot for posting that. I knew I'd seen something recently on here but couldn't remember the thread.

wonderboy
04-10-2018, 09:30 PM
I haven't figured mine out yet, otherwise I'd try to post something helpful...

The thing I want to try is to test the lever feel one step at a time. So first thing will be to bench bleed the master, then plug the outlet up solid with a bolt and check the feel. I want to make sure the master is building pressure solid and holding (no leakage past the piston).

Next, I want to isolate the hose. So the plan next would be to attach the brake hose and figure out a way to purge the air and then block off the caliper end of the hose. Repeat the 'feel' test.

Finally, (assuming the other tests pass) it will be time to connect the caliper and see if that is the culprit. I have a feeling that I somehow (despite my many attempts) have air trapped somewhere inside the caliper. We'll see.

If I come up with any revelations, I'll post them up.

fabiodriven
04-10-2018, 09:35 PM

The thing I want to try is to test the lever feel one step at a time. So first thing will be to bench bleed the master, then plug the outlet up solid with a bolt and check the feel. I want to make sure the master is building pressure solid and holding (no leakage past the piston).

Next, I want to isolate the hose. So the plan next would be to attach the brake hose and figure out a way to purge the air and then block off the caliper end of the hose. Repeat the 'feel' test.

Finally, (assuming the other tests pass) it will be time to connect the caliper and see if that is the culprit. I have a feeling that I somehow (despite my many attempts) have air trapped somewhere inside the caliper. We'll see.

That's solid, that's exactly what I'm going to do. My neighbor was here when I was working on it and he said "Well can't you just replace everything?" I told him yes, and normally I don't mind part swapping because worst case scenario is I end up with new parts on my bike and a spare for the shelf. Unfortunately I'm working on a ton of things right now, all of which need funding. I'm going to have to diagnose this one first and replace only what I have to.

I like your plan and I'm going to do the same thing with mine. I suspect the line but realistically it could be anything. Thanks very much for the post, I'm glad I posted this issue. I almost wasn't going to bother posting about it.

fabiodriven
04-12-2018, 10:52 PM
I bench bled the master cylinder today and was able to get a firm lever with the line removed and the outlet blocked, so I know the master is good. I then reinstalled the line and caliper and could no longer get a firm lever regardless of how much I bled the system or sent the fluid back up from the caliper. I then crimped the line close to the master cylinder and got a firm lever. I then crimped it down near the caliper, and again, firm lever. With the caliper in the system, it goes soft. It is slightly odd what it's doing, I don't know what's wrong with it yet.

I'm theorizing that the piston is getting hung up on the seal in the caliper, so it goes out when the brake is applied but rather than staying put it looks like the seal is pulling the piston back in? Retracting it so to speak. I'm not even positive this is my problem. Honestly it feels too spongy to really support that theory, but I'm at a loss. I bled the crap out of this thing today, like plenty. I'm really at kind of a loss.

I'm disappointed that my Eastwood exhaust manifold coating started cooking right off the head pipe as soon as I started the bike. It worked great on the steel 225DR head pipe, but this one is stainless. I think that's the problem. Whatever. My stuff is just polished turds anyways, I don't do show bikes.

coolpool
04-13-2018, 10:52 AM

That seems like the most logical test of your components. You could step it up one more notch and install a pressure gauge to get an actual number to compare each components performance with, but unfortunately this will cost some money. And I'm not sure what a pressure range for the gauge gauge would need to be?

atctim
04-13-2018, 12:07 PM
Hey Fabio: What carb do you run on your bike, and can I see a picture of your air intake set up please?

I need to order a new carb to get mine to run right - the stock carb will not rev out with non-stock intake. I have re-jetted to the moon and back with no changes to the not reving out issue. Honda had to build this intake system very finicky to pass all 50 state emissions (Thanks California Legislators - you bunch of morons!). I want to be able to rev it out - but can't.

fabiodriven
04-13-2018, 10:35 PM
Hey Fabio: What carb do you run on your bike, and can I see a picture of your air intake set up please?

I need to order a new carb to get mine to run right - the stock carb will not rev out with non-stock intake. I have re-jetted to the moon and back with no changes to the not reving out issue. Honda had to build this intake system very finicky to pass all 50 state emissions (Thanks California Legislators - you bunch of morons!). I want to be able to rev it out - but can't.

My carb is stock as far as I know Tim. The bike has a White Bros. silencer which is loud, and it has a pod on the intake. It's a bit grumpy off idle as far as jetting goes, not bad enough to be of too much concern, but it opens right up. I have no issues whatsoever with power. The EGR is gone but I kept that ugly canister on the bike. Someone told me not to get rid of that, possibly Louis.

Forgive the filthiness of the bike in the pictures, it's getting washed soon. I registered it today but I still have to finish assembly as well as figure out what the issue is with the front brake.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180414/0a91b3d1557c132321db05b0e33e2d3d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180414/34943192e8c1bcf4ddae88840cd15532.jpg

HairyJR
04-14-2018, 10:30 PM
John hope you solved the starting / running problem. If not I may not have been clear in one of the previous posting talking about handle bar on/off start button switch, found the internal contacts dirty and corroded.

Now onto your current problem with bleeding caliper. You are correct in that piston/puck retracts a tiny amount caused by the O-ring / quad ring rolling back. Had a past experience with a caliper seized and didn’t float therefore actually bending and deflecting the rotor disc, by doing this caused the piston to travel further. I see the supply line has a loop where it connects to the caliper, believe it or not but there’s air still trapped in the loop, high spot. The reservoir pressure doesn’t supply enough volume to push the air bubbles down the line. Same issue applies to hand held bleeders. Straighten the line to bleed either by removing reservoir or caliper. Because the piston retracts one time as a final resort used a “C” clamp to hold piston all the way inserted limiting any movement in order to bleed it successfully. Have always had better luck reverse feeding bleeding. Frustrating problem…..

"HJ" 251623 :beer

fabiodriven
04-14-2018, 10:43 PM
John hope you solved the starting / running problem. If not I may not have been clear in one of the previous posting talking about handle bar on/off start button switch, found the internal contacts dirty and corroded.

Now onto your current problem with bleeding caliper. You are correct in that piston/puck retracts a tiny amount caused by the O-ring / quad ring rolling back. Had a past experience with a caliper seized and didn’t float therefore actually bending and deflecting the rotor disc, by doing this caused the piston to travel further. I see the supply line has a loop where it connects to the caliper, believe it or not but there’s air still trapped in the loop, high spot. The reservoir pressure doesn’t supply enough volume to push the air bubbles down the line. Same issue applies to hand held bleeders. Straighten the line to bleed either by removing reservoir or caliper. Because the piston retracts one time as a final resort used a “C” clamp to hold piston all the way inserted limiting any movement in order to bleed it successfully. Have always had better luck reverse feeding bleeding. Frustrating problem…..

"HJ" 251623 :beer

Good to hear from you Hairy!

I suspected something with the on/off switch as well, but the thing with that is if there's a problem with that switch the bike will not crank. It won't crank with that switch in the off position and it also doesn't crank if unplugged. This machine does crank, it just doesn't start.

As far as the bleeding goes, I had the entire system off the bike, master in the vise and caliper on the floor, line straight with no loops. It doesn't matter what you do. I can force the fluid up backwards from the caliper to the master, it doesn't matter. Ironically enough, I tried exactly what you suggested today. I collapsed the piston all the way in and bled it like that, no improvement. I bench bled the master and it bled out perfect. I crimped the line near the caliper and it's still firm. If I include the caliper in the circuit it goes soft every time, it doesn't matter how it's bled. I still don't understand what the problem is but it will not work correctly. I bled it for a very long time yesterday and again today, it won't firm up.

It's an 85 Tecate caliper so I don't really know what to do now. I don't think they're available nor was I able to find a rebuild kit. The piston and caliper itself look fine and it doesn't leak. I'm just guessing at the seal being a problem because I have no friggin idea what else could be wrong.

HairyJR
04-15-2018, 12:45 AM
Well with your elimination explanations only leaves one last conclusion, there is a buildup of dirt / corrosion capturing tiny air bubbles which can’t be flushed out. Need to rebuild your caliper. Now knowing the piston has to be a standard size a replacement O-ring / quad ring from another caliper should work. There’s someone out there who knows the answer. Measure the OD and post it as there’s a caliper that size somewhere. Now I will say I have had luck with removing a couple stuck CB750 caliper pistons, cleaned without removing O-ring “DON’T USE SPRAY SOLVENTS”, lubed with brake fluid to reassemble. Time too ride.

"HJ" 251624 :beer

fabiodriven
04-17-2018, 11:32 PM
I like the sounds of what you're saying Hairy, and I'd be looking into that but I put the bike back together again. I'll have to take it back apart and measure like you said. I really don't know what else to do, lol.

I got the bike all reassembled today and took it up the road. I was filming but honestly there really wasn't that much to see, haha. I got pulled over but the battery on the cam had died at that point. I was doing 60 in a 40. I knew I was speeding. I don't have a speedometer either, it's not a requirement here. I'll probably download a speedo app on my phone and use that in the future. I got pulled over a few years ago doing 40 in a 25 and I felt like I was standing still. The cop today was nice, no ticket.

I'm going to post a short vid, not much to see really. I'm going to record more often and see if I can get something worth filming. The bike ran well today and started every time, but it needs a battery. I still don't know if the no-start issue is sorted or not, but I'm sure I'll be finding out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prxoymeHNY4&t=83s

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180418/e3f0b00ad6fa344dc904e16e267747d1.jpg

fabiodriven
05-03-2018, 01:17 AM
Today we had some absolutely fantastic weather and I spent six hours and two tanks worth of fuel cruising on the XR. It was over 80 degrees and sunny, and all we've had this spring has been cold and rainy weather, so I took advantage of the nice weather today. Keep in mind if you're going to view the following videos, this was all filmed by me today (technically yesterday now), on a Wednesday, and this is considered pre-season. The summer season doesn't begin here until Memorial Day. If I were to go to these same places when the season "officially" opens on a weekend, many of them would be mobbed. Because it is pre-season I was able to get around pretty good today. The nice weather brought a lot of people out even though it's the middle of the week.

Today was a day of multiple firsts. First time the XR has gone on the highway, first time riding that far from home, and first time riding as long as I did. I used about two tanks of fuel today. I have always had a good time with this machine, it wouldn't still be around if I didn't, but today we really bonded. In the past I wasn't terribly happy with a few things about this machine, on top of the fact that it's left me high and dry with it's now infamous no-start which happens at the worst possible times. Because of the lack of reliability, I kind of limited my distances that I covered on this machine before. It was cool to have around but I'd just bomb around in the general vicinity. Today was different. Today I left my home in East Bridgewater and headed for Plymouth. I planned to do my regular cruise which I usually do on the Buell, which is a ride up the coast line starting in Plymouth and heading north, eventually ending in the town of Hull. The ride in between takes me through some very scenic and affluent areas.

I got a lot of footage today, it's going to take you multiple bathroom breaks to view it all, assuming anyone wants to view all of it. Sprinkled within these videos are some wheelies as well as bikini clad women. There are only a few wheelies and a few bikini clad women, but I don't know what's better to be looking for so I'm not going to bother suggesting anyone look for anything else. Oh there are some insane beach front properties on here if you like gawking at other peoples' excess.

I began in Plymouth as I said, specifically at the water front. I did a lap and then went over to a local motorsports shop that Mik6 had been visiting recently. They wanted to see the XR so I scooted over there for a visit. I then rode back through the water front area on my way north to begin the Shore Tour. From Plymouth, every step of the way I will be heading north towards Boston. These are not the beaches I swim at, I go to Cape Cod to swim. All of the beaches you'll see on these videos are cold water beaches because they are north of Cape Cod, that's one big reason I go to Cape beaches. Cape beaches are just far better all around compared to the places on these videos.

Here is the Plymouth waterfront as well as the XR's first highway ride ever. I have taller gearing for it, I could go faster on this machine if I'd like to. For what I'm doing with it, the gearing it has is perfect. I've already gotten pulled over for speeding, I don't need to go much faster than I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4rajeUyWIc&t=11s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E3qVcYc0Ig&t=54s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHj-xuJAUNw

Leaving Plymouth our next stop is Deluxebury (Duxbury). Duxbury is the kind of town where, well, where the residents are, not like us. Deluxebury does have some cool stuff though, such as a really old wooden bridge, bikini clad women, girls in bikinis, as well as bathing beauties. I scare women with the Buell, I sneak up on them and burp the throttle so they jump. The XR is loud, louder than you can tell in the videos, but it doesn't scare them like the Buell does. Still worth a shot though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8KSnK8qcn8&t=82s

Brant Rock is next after Deluxebury. Brant Rock is a part of Marshfield, and it's middle class. Kind of a boring beach but it does the job for many on hot summer days. The crappy little red building on the right at 1:27 is the best restaurant I've ever eaten at in my 38 years, and nobody knows about it. It's insane. I've not been in there for years at this point, but I doubt they've done anything but improve. At 3:13 you can see a group of three female bikers, easily noticed because of their disorganization as well as one of them facing the wrong way on a one way road. At 3:42 you can see a broken section of guard rail where the sea unleashed it's fury a little over a month ago when we had a hurricane type storm. You will notice a lot of heavy equipment on these beaches still dealing with the cleanup from said storm. A lot of these houses were on stilts already, but I noticed a butt-load of them that had just been lifted since this last storm we had. Some of these people are fighting a losing battle, yet they continue to fight the sea anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCBHF1MWRfI

Scituate Harbor, nothing too exciting there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcJJo1q3rdQ

Scituate light house. This area always gets hammered harder than anyone during storms. These houses really are almost in the ocean as it is, so when the sea swells, these people get hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNKxWH3PFg8

Continuing north to the Minot part of Scituate, things start to get a bit more affluent. You don't go on these beaches unless you know someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki-s5aiJ3tA&t=4s

This is my favorite video from the day and my favorite part of the ride. As you continue north from Scituate, you enter Cohassett. Cohassett has the most affluent people of this ride, and the houses along this stretch are insane, not that you can see them that well. This area is big, big money, yet just as you get through Cohassett, you are immediately in Nantrashket (Nantasket). Nantrashket used to be a pretty hopping place on the weekends, it still is sometimes actually. The crowd over the last few years has altered a bit... Nantrashket is where all the "urban" people go to beach. It's not far from Boston as well as a lot of the more urban suburbs of Boston.

The video starts on Atlantic Avenue in Cohassett, which then turns into Jerusalem Rd, which is wealthy wealthy. I was able to get some speed up and get 'er rolling pretty good in this video, so there's a little cornering action in here. When I'm stopped at the stop sign with the bike rider, that's when we get into Nantrashket. Some suite arses in this video right before it ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26KZRcsiL8E&t=7s

Hull is on the other side of Nantrashket and is land locked by Nantrashket. It is it's own little peninsula, and it is not affluent. Hull is pretty crappy actually. At the end of this first video when I stop to park, straight across the water from me is Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b56rCTSAnPU&t=1s

Fort Revere, Hull MA. This was at one time of vital importance to protect Boston Harbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blm7yT-ujgg

And to top things off, I got pulled over in Rockland, MA, on my way home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVhxodrmXc

Thanks everyone for looking.

fabiodriven
05-03-2018, 06:33 PM
I wanted to share something with you fruits. I was riding around today and I was using my iPhone as a speedometer for the first time which worked well. The only problem is, my iPhone is in a waterproof case on the bike, so I cannot charge it while I'm riding. After leaving the speedometer app open for an hour my phone is ready to die.

Today I was thinking to myself "Self, someone must produce a GPS speedometer by now." Well as it turns out, self was right. I'm guessing a lot of yous guys already knew this, but I figured I'd share in case some didn't.

This speedo requires only 12v, no other inputs I believe. That means you can put one on your SX, Big Red, DR, or KLT (the KLT version tops out at 15mph), and it also has an odometer. I just ordered this one now so I cannot yet give a review. It should be a great addition to this machine though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F15 2996695954

ironchop
05-03-2018, 08:43 PM
I wanted to share something with you fruits. I was riding around today and I was using my iPhone as a speedometer for the first time which worked well. The only problem is, my iPhone is in a waterproof case on the bike, so I cannot charge it while I'm riding. After leaving the speedometer app open for an hour my phone is ready to die.

Today I was thinking to myself "Self, someone must produce a GPS speedometer by now." Well as it turns out, self was right. I'm guessing a lot of yous guys already knew this, but I figured I'd share in case some didn't.

This speedo requires only 12v, no other inputs I believe. That means you can put one on your SX, Big Red, DR, or KLT (the KLT version tops out at 15mph), and it also has an odometer. I just ordered this one now so I cannot yet give a review. It should be a great addition to this machine though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F15 2996695954My big Ford speedo was off thanks to the 38.5 inch tires so I bought a Garmin just to use the speedo feature. Occasionally, I did need to know where I was going so that helped too but mostly it was an expensive speedometer

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

fabiodriven
05-04-2018, 11:16 AM
I usually use my GPS as my speedo in my trucks mostly because it also has the speed limit on it as well. I like that.

So clearly nobody gives a flying frig about scenic shore-side views and corner carving, lol! For whatever reason everyone really likes run-ins with law enforcement agents. I ran into another curious police officer last night.

Another thing I've noticed, of the people who approach me to discuss the trike, a good portion of them "had tons of trikes in past".

https://youtu.be/fEe9LVzfS54

ironchop
05-04-2018, 12:19 PM
So clearly nobody gives a flying frig about scenic shore-side views and corner carving, lol! For whatever reason everyone really likes run-ins with law enforcement agents....

I watched Plymouth, the Pullover, and the Beach and then I ran out of free time. Heat pump is on the fritz and the tech came in to discuss it and I was trying to haul the old washer/dryer out last night to make way for the new set.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

fabiodriven
05-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Lmfao! Don't feel obligated! I just noticed the bulk of views is on the pullover video.

inv3ctiv3
05-04-2018, 12:23 PM
This bike is so rad

keister
05-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Another thing I've noticed, of the people who approach me to discuss the trike, a good portion of them "had tons of trikes in past".

I too have noticed this. And they always used to have "one just like that." Even if the "one" is a TRX450 conversion or '86 125M.
My favorite is "I used to have one just like that -- except mine was a 300."
I've heard it multiple times. Honda apparently made a bunch of Big Red 300's and 300X's.

Somebody spotted you (your trike) parked yesterday and posted a picture of it on FB asking about it.
I knew as soon as I saw the front end it was yours. It's definitely one of a kind.

fabiodriven
05-04-2018, 12:37 PM
This bike is so rad

My ego thanks you!

I too have noticed this. And they always used to have "one just like that." Even if the "one" is a TRX450 conversion or '86 125M.
My favorite is "I used to have one just like that -- except mine was a 300."
I've heard it multiple times. Honda apparently made a bunch of Big Red 300's and 300X's.

Somebody spotted you (your trike) parked yesterday and posted a picture of it on FB asking about it.
I knew as soon as I saw the front end it was yours. It's definitely one of a kind.

Are you saying it's ugly? Lol!

Wednesday I rode up to a powersports shop in Plymouth. Mik6 had been in there talking about trikes and they wanted to see the XR. One of the guys that came out to see it had "Seen a black guy in traffic on the highway the other day on one of these up on two wheels weaving in and out of traffic." No you didn't dude.

fabiodriven
05-07-2018, 01:25 PM
I was pulled over again today by a detail I was passing. The officer was a bit confrontational at first, but he was under the assumption that I was doing something illegal. Once he figured out I wasn't, his attitude changed completely. He even apologized which was nice but unnecessary. As I rode by him again on my return trip, he gave me two thumbs up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMKOy_CXh0I

fabiodriven
12-30-2018, 01:11 AM
The XR is under the knife right now for some more maintenance and improvements. The biggest problem the bike had was a lot of oil consumption through the valve seals, but it needs some general upkeep like various engine seals and some paint.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181230/af2853b919744c671c74d000457e3e25.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181230/d1b480dd0a49099cf3b24a97b64b78ed.jpg

One issue that has arisen due to being used primarily on the street is swing arm bearing wear. They are roached right now. With the axle being so wide and this engine making the torque it does, combined with the traction of dry pavement and my aggressive riding, these bearings are under severe loads. Even slow speed maneuvers are very tough on these swing arm bearings. I think this is the ideal application for delrin bushings. I think the bike is going to feel a lot smoother now and I won't have embarrassing clicks anymore. BKM is likely going to end up making up a set or two for me, should work out well.

Because of my riding this on the roads during blizzards, a lot of my hardware has been a bit rusty. I broke three bolts off getting the rocker box off unfortunately.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181230/9ec4d214f2ecc22eca0b06793894606a.jpg

This is a long bolt that goes right through the head and into the cylinder.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181230/58ffcd0a7bad693a69be113374292de9.jpg

This is what road salt does to your hardware.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181230/c2c5ea33f7997e4fe6cd2b8dcf7ea253.jpg

I'm debating on whether or not it's time to do the timing chain and guides. The chain is louder than I'd prefer on cold starts, but I don't know if that's just normal for this bike? The bike has roughly 30,000 miles on it and I've got another thread going on Thumper Talk asking those guys their opinions on what kind of mileage they get from timing chains. I'd rather not change it out if I don't have to. The bore looks perfect and I don't think it even needs rings. I'm curious how the valves and seats are going to look.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181230/05493f40d0d4a375f5d1f519aca11245.jpg

I have other stuff to do to this. I'm actually going to butcher the swing arm. It's just not perfectly straight and it drives me nuts. It took me a couple years to notice but now that I know I have to fix it, so I'll be doing that too.

fabiodriven
01-09-2019, 06:41 PM
I was hoping this bike would be going together by this point, however the day after I disassembled it I bought the 85 SX and there went the money for parts for the XR. There is still work to do for the time being. I'm going to do some painting on the frame and make it red.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190109/4f2c8bf5d3ae32967978f8401b2e20c2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190109/07037c453486187abe3c2ca11d8fa213.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190109/0e2bdd726742c021a91dc63777574e2b.jpg

Unfortunately the cylinder is going to have to come off. When I first took this bike apart, I was under the assumption it would need a timing chain and guides and possibly a hone and rings. Well after disassembly it turns out all the top end needs is valve seals and that's it. I was glad to find that out and left the jug on the engine to simplify the job and save myself some time and money. Welp, as it turns out, there's a broken bolt I'm not going to be able to remove here, and it's in the jug, which unfortunately means the jug has to come off and go to the machine shop. Since the jug has to go, I'll send the head as well to have those two broken bolts removed. Kind of a bummer but oh well.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190109/dc9d2197767ce57f41d36715759d8350.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190109/4930cb8fb60071433fe8dfa7a236b69f.jpg

One of my biggest complaints about the XR650L is the ridiculous amount of wiring and the massive wiring harness. It's a pain in the tits, always in the way, and impossible to hide. I've "trimmed the fat" twice now and cut out everything I could, but it's still massive and messy. I wish ps2fixer were my neighbor right now, love to see what you could do with this mess!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190109/a3c8cbc6746d48f8313c65bf8fa3483a.jpg

ps2fixer
01-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Lol ironic I just checked this post out.

Since road salt is such a problem, the harness could be a thing to target to prevent electrical problems. Saltwater really wicks up exposed copper if it's not in a sealed connector (I can't see what the connector style is in the photo). Of course if connector types were changed, the things that plug in would have to be changed out too. I didn't start reading the thread from the start, but I suspect you started with the XL650L harness. I don't see a battery box, so guessing the orig machine had a battery, and you deleted that, so yea there's probably a lot of wire extra in the harness (think 250es vs 350x).

Anyway, not trying to say to have me make a harness or anything, but it could be an interesting project to try to do via PM lol. The fun part would be having you lay out string to mimic the harness routing you'd want so the lengths would match the frame/bike setup properly, and get "branch" measurements from that for the misc things that plug in. Adding/changing things is pretty easy after that since my templates are a 1in square grid setup.

Just wondering, what did you use for a key/ignition switch? Looks like there might be a tether on it? Being what it is, I'd think a key'ed ignition switch would keep the less savvy thieves away even though they just would have to unplug/cut the wire to get ignition (atleast that's how the 3 wheeler wiring is setup).

For the rear end bearing issue, is there room to machine out the bearing bore and run dual bearings? That would probably be what I'd do with the situation which effectively doubles the strength of the bearing (or just use a wider one that's a dual bearing design already like a automotive wheel bearing). Also make sure the bearings are sealed in some way. Never hurts to add a grease zert to the center part of the axle and fill it with grease, extra weight, but prevents rust and water from getting inside, this worked great on a 350 warrior that was mud bogged all the time.

Anyway, nice looking machine, I'm sure it's a blast to ride.

fabiodriven
01-10-2019, 01:38 AM
Lol ironic I just checked this post out.

Since road salt is such a problem, the harness could be a thing to target to prevent electrical problems. Saltwater really wicks up exposed copper if it's not in a sealed connector (I can't see what the connector style is in the photo). Of course if connector types were changed, the things that plug in would have to be changed out too. I didn't start reading the thread from the start, but I suspect you started with the XL650L harness. I don't see a battery box, so guessing the orig machine had a battery, and you deleted that, so yea there's probably a lot of wire extra in the harness (think 250es vs 350x).

Anyway, not trying to say to have me make a harness or anything, but it could be an interesting project to try to do via PM lol. The fun part would be having you lay out string to mimic the harness routing you'd want so the lengths would match the frame/bike setup properly, and get "branch" measurements from that for the misc things that plug in. Adding/changing things is pretty easy after that since my templates are a 1in square grid setup.

Just wondering, what did you use for a key/ignition switch? Looks like there might be a tether on it? Being what it is, I'd think a key'ed ignition switch would keep the less savvy thieves away even though they just would have to unplug/cut the wire to get ignition (atleast that's how the 3 wheeler wiring is setup).

For the rear end bearing issue, is there room to machine out the bearing bore and run dual bearings? That would probably be what I'd do with the situation which effectively doubles the strength of the bearing (or just use a wider one that's a dual bearing design already like a automotive wheel bearing). Also make sure the bearings are sealed in some way. Never hurts to add a grease zert to the center part of the axle and fill it with grease, extra weight, but prevents rust and water from getting inside, this worked great on a 350 warrior that was mud bogged all the time.

Anyway, nice looking machine, I'm sure it's a blast to ride.

I haven't had any issues with the wiring shorting or acting weird lately, it's just unsightly and a mess. I'd just love to tidy it. I'm not sure if any more wires can be eliminated, but whatever can come out of there is best for me.

Honestly I'd love it if you could build me a harness and I'd love to help, but I have to be honest. This is quite the harness and I'd be nervous about my abilities in such an undertaking. Also, I'm not sure, but I feel like it would be a benefit for you to have the bike there in front of you as well. Certainly something to think about though, and thanks for offering! Maybe we'll figure something out!

There is a battery and battery box on the bike. It has to have the battery as this bike is electric start only, no backup.

As far as the swing arm bearings go, plastic is going to be the absolute best bet there. With this bike being on the street with these little wheels, it has some odd final drive harmonics. It's kind of difficult to portray, but if you lug this bike low and try to pull out of it, the harmonics feel like they're going to break the bike. You have to keep the engine in a higher RPM than you would if this were in bike form, it feels like it would benefit greatly from a sprocket mount which had rubber inserts. I don't know if you've ever seen those, but they don't offer that for the 300EX (which this axle is out of). I would imagine with the machine in bike trim with a bike wheel and a bike tire, you can likely lug it along at low RPM no problem at all. I have a feeling the harshness of the final drive is due somehow to the smaller diameter tires with more traction than the bike tire would have had. I was under the assumption this was a result of running an engine with no counterbalance in trike form, until I found out the XR650L actually HAS a counterbalance, so there went that theory.

So I'm not looking to fight what caused these bearings to fail, I'm looking to correct it. Damping the shock which is originating there will be best for man and machine, and it will be done for less money and less effort. This swing arm is subjected to some serious forces that off road ATV's will just never see, and that's not even because I drift it in third gear on dry pavement. Just as hard if not harder on the drive train is regular slow speed maneuvers on the road at normal (for other people) riding speeds. The straight axle has no give and it is wide, it has a lot of leverage. The give is going to go somewhere. So you see these bushings being made from plastic is going to be multi-functional as well as easy and cheap.

ps2fixer
01-10-2019, 01:57 AM
Never heard of using plastic bushings for high rpm applications, I've seen brass used though. I suspect the plastic bushings must be high temp.

Sounds like the real fix would be to figure out how to mount up an actual diff rear end into the bike so it gives around corners, but there isn't much out there except like lawnmower rear ends that are not exactly the strongest for high speed driving lol.

Just an idea/theory that's a bit weird for a chain drive machine, but the shaft drive machines have bearings right out to the hubs. I wonder if some sort of pipe/support system made to work around the chain drive parts could be made and a shaft drive axle modified to run a sprocket + disc break would be a good option. Less stress on the bearings that way since it's right at the wheel, but keeps the same/similar driving characteristics.

For the vibration based on low rpm is probably more due to the large engine size being a single cylinder than anything. The rubber dampener setup on the rear sprocket would fix that if you can figure something out for that. Just for an example, my dad's 650 rincon (and later 680 rincon he upgraded to) would rut up trails with the engine speed vibration, no other atv we had did that to the trails. I guess it could be called washboard like a dirt road. Theory behind it is each time the cylinder fires, it spins the tires a tiny bit, on smaller engines the tire doesn't break traction so it doesn't cause the ripple effect in the trails.

Anyway, the harness thing shouldn't be that hard to figure out on your end, just the main route is the most critical thing. The branches off from that are just measurements from the string to where like the regulator is at etc. This is how people DIY build car harnesses. The actual wiring and such is the hard part, a wire diagram or something probably would be needed for me to follow for wire color/routing unless you wanted to probe each of the connections to match where each wire runs lol. Having the machine/harness in hand would be easiest, but I don't think you want to pay to fly me out with my tools and terminals and such lolz.

fabiodriven
01-10-2019, 07:32 AM
Never heard of using plastic bushings for high rpm applications, I've seen brass used though. I suspect the plastic bushings must be high temp.

Sounds like the real fix would be to figure out how to mount up an actual diff rear end into the bike so it gives around corners, but there isn't much out there except like lawnmower rear ends that are not exactly the strongest for high speed driving lol.

Just an idea/theory that's a bit weird for a chain drive machine, but the shaft drive machines have bearings right out to the hubs. I wonder if some sort of pipe/support system made to work around the chain drive parts could be made and a shaft drive axle modified to run a sprocket + disc break would be a good option. Less stress on the bearings that way since it's right at the wheel, but keeps the same/similar driving characteristics.

Swing arm bushings are not high RPM nor are they high temp. A lot of people use plastic (delrin or something of the like) for swing arm bushings. It is not at all uncommon.

As far as differentials, axle tubes, combined sprockets/diffs... Umm, no, nah, and absolutely not, lol. We're not re-inventing the wheel here. This machine is awesome and works great. You're talking about some very serious, unwarranted modifications that in the end are going to change the handling characteristics drastically on a machine of which I'm quite fond of how it handles now. I have zero desire to have a differential or start modifying things that work perfectly fine. Very simply, very easily, very cheaply, with very little effort and time, I'm going to replace my metal-to-metal OEM Honda roller swing arm bearings with a delrin bushing, which has give, which is all I need. They're worn out and need replacing anyways. Rube Goldberg was certainly interesting but nary effective.

For the vibration based on low rpm is probably more due to the large engine size being a single cylinder than anything. The rubber dampener setup on the rear sprocket would fix that if you can figure something out for that. Just for an example, my dad's 650 rincon (and later 680 rincon he upgraded to) would rut up trails with the engine speed vibration, no other atv we had did that to the trails. I guess it could be called washboard like a dirt road. Theory behind it is each time the cylinder fires, it spins the tires a tiny bit, on smaller engines the tire doesn't break traction so it doesn't cause the ripple effect in the trails.

Anyway, the harness thing shouldn't be that hard to figure out on your end, just the main route is the most critical thing. The branches off from that are just measurements from the string to where like the regulator is at etc. This is how people DIY build car harnesses. The actual wiring and such is the hard part, a wire diagram or something probably would be needed for me to follow for wire color/routing unless you wanted to probe each of the connections to match where each wire runs lol. Having the machine/harness in hand would be easiest, but I don't think you want to pay to fly me out with my tools and terminals and such lolz.

Yup you got it with the vibration. It's a really big single cylinder, and you feel that at low RPM. And you do know what I'm talking about with the rubber sprocket mount. So unfortunately those are not available for my application.

I'm glad you're confident in me helping with building a harness, at least one of us is, haha! If you think it can be done I'll try. If it can clean this pig up a bit that would be nice. I'm just uncertain if there are things which could be left out. If you made a new harness, if it's just as big and bulky, that's might not solve that much. Sure it would be nice to have a nice new harness, but this one does still work. It just needs a diet or something, lol. I don't know.

ps2fixer
01-10-2019, 07:54 AM
Ahh, I was thinking rear axle bearings for some reason.

The other option on the harness is to have fun taking it all apart, removing the unused wires, then re-wrapping it up, it could turn into a mess quickly if things are allowed to fall apart too much though.

I took a quick peek on ebay for a harness to get on hand and didn't know that the machine was so much newer. There's atleast a couple connectors I'd have to find a source on, so I guess I'm not as prepared as I thought I was lol. I was thinking it was like a 80's bike, but I dug back to your build thread and see it's a 2002. What all do you need working from the bike? Battery charging and lights I'm sure you'll need, but what about things like horn, blinkers or any of that kind of stuff? Here's a pretty crappy (small) wire diagram I found. Huge year range so I suspect it's very generalized.

https://thumpertalk.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/scoopdoc/WiringDiagram-1.jpg&key=0d765308b68baca2a5d7623d61cadf45fa7db7c0ee2c36 e8604a3de20c90bb65

What all have you trimmed down on the harness so far?

fabiodriven
02-03-2019, 08:06 PM
I'm hesitant to post so close to when Nico has, haha. A build like that can easily make others not look so great!

So the lipstick is going on my pig nicely. It's a lot more steel than aluminum, it's a low revving old fashioned four stroke, and the front end is from an antique. It's crude, but so am I.

I stripped the frame with aerosol chemical paint stripper which worked great actually, but it didn't touch the paint on the gas tank. I had to use my angle grinder with a wire wheel on it to get the paint off the tank, and it took a lot of muscle as well. I really had to lean into it. Now the frame and tank are both in primer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190203/c7ac249803dde75b7f3b5f52cc92ef1b.jpg

There were other small issues I had to fix on the frame, like 5/16 standard hardware holding the grab bar on. Way too small and not even metric... The previous owner really liked his standard hardware. So those have been upgraded to 8x1.25. It needed braces for the rear fenders so I added those as well.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190204/b15b4f582369097f20fa47c1aaf90047.jpg

Bryan has my swing arm bushings done and on the way, so those are going to be nice to have here. I'm also waiting on a seat cover as well as a new set of decals.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190204/6a0c8143b572c43c782be611414715e8.jpg

The cylinder and head had to go to the machine shop for bolt extractions, which they did. I have those back now and on hand. I made a massive parts order so I'm waiting on parts and doing a lot of painting at this point.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190204/fa2ded4c1d2c1856aacd0657ce311627.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190204/1173bd851f306c26b3c8d7d4adb49812.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pryme
02-04-2019, 02:02 AM
Pretty neat machine. Looks like you had some issues mid point with ot running but all seems better now. Cant wait to see it finished.
I had a new 06 xr650L back in, 06. It was a fun bike and took it up a 6k ft mountain in socal the first day I had it. Did 110mi with most being off road. Was great fun.

fabiodriven
02-04-2019, 06:53 PM
I'm really excited for this bike and today it feels like it's reached a turning point. It's that time when things are going to start to be put back together. I'm really digging the Honda Passion Red but I ran out and had to order another can. I'm going to take a bit more care with the tank and do some sanding and priming and sanding and priming before I paint it. I'm going to try to make that come out as nice as I can.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190204/23644893ddf63a29b2c9174929834950.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190204/46559e290456163106cc513602a926fb.jpg

El Camexican
02-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Looking good John, but overspray is a bit*h. Think of painting as sex, you want to cover-up, cuz some stuff doesn't wash off with soap and water :naughty:

coolpool
02-04-2019, 11:02 PM
She's going to be epic fabio! Digging the color for sure! What else is in store, ;-)

schlepp29
02-05-2019, 10:06 AM
Yeah that color is looking awesome! Can't wait to see this.

fabiodriven
02-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Looking good John, but overspray is a bit*h. Think of painting as sex, you want to cover-up, cuz some stuff doesn't wash off with soap and water :naughty:

Lmfao!! Funny thing is, I almost posted in your thread about how ridiculously clean your shop is! You build bikes like my older brother, lol! I'd like to have a nice, clean assembly room at my next house. I've been working in the back yard, driveway, and on the ground my entire life. The fact that my engine is on a work bench right now and not the floor is a big deal, lol!

She's going to be epic fabio! Digging the color for sure! What else is in store, ;-)

Loose lips sink ships bud!!

atctim
02-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Hey Fabio - just wanted to mention something to you, as I have the same trike - and had it as a bike for 8 years prior. That "self destruct" feeling when pulling super low RPMs - it felt the same way as a motorcycle honestly. It always felt so odd having to shift to a lower gear, not for more power, but as to not shake itself apart, and to keep my kidneys in tact. Just a little FYI.

fabiodriven
02-05-2019, 03:55 PM
That's some great intel Tim, thanks! I've never ridden one of these in bike form so I really wouldn't know, lol.

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2019, 04:10 PM
OT but for your SX. Was it the swinger cap you needed or the clutch adjust??

Here's a nice clean swinger pivot bolt with a good cap, decent cost for a clean part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Honda-Atc-250sx-Rear-Back-Swingarm-Bolt-Suspension-Axle-Plastic-Cover/132941613077?fits=Model%3AATC250SX&hash=item1ef3f00815:g:-KIAAOSwf29cWKsX:rk:31:pf:0

ps2fixer
02-05-2019, 07:26 PM
OT but for your SX. Was it the swinger cap you needed or the clutch adjust??

Here's a nice clean swinger pivot bolt with a good cap, decent cost for a clean part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Honda-Atc-250sx-Rear-Back-Swingarm-Bolt-Suspension-Axle-Plastic-Cover/132941613077?fits=Model%3AATC250SX&hash=item1ef3f00815:g:-KIAAOSwf29cWKsX:rk:31:pf:0

FYI, you can get the caps brand new from Honda.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/90312-HA0-000?ref=f3cf073ce5cdb0519be531c6b7e8ecb833f2b58d

The bolt is out of production, but the locking nut is still listed.
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/90355-469-000?ref=f3cf073ce5cdb0519be531c6b7e8ecb833f2b58d

El Camexican
02-05-2019, 09:46 PM
Lmfao!! Funny thing is, I almost posted in your thread about how ridiculously clean your shop is!

I'll spare your thread the whole story, but I worked for a hoarder when I was younger and it made me a clean freak. Your shop looks approximately 3 million times cleaner that that fab shop was, I HATED IT. I don't mind making a mess on a project, but I have to clean up before I start the next thing.

Are you using a base/clear on the tank, or an enamel?

fabiodriven
02-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Shep has insisted I use the following clear. It's a very high quality two part spray bomb.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190206/fbb5cb524a6d2d70d8da25808b4a136f.jpg

Gabriel
02-06-2019, 02:58 PM
I don't mind making a mess on a project, but I have to clean up before I start the next thing.

Yes..YES...HELL YES! I don't mind dust and grit flying everywhere when I'm making something or grease/oil up to my elbows when necessary but before I move on...things must be nigh spotless.

stoshu
02-06-2019, 05:09 PM
Shep has insisted I use the following clear. It's a very high quality two part spray bomb.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190206/fbb5cb524a6d2d70d8da25808b4a136f.jpg

Very good stuff. Definitely need a respirator to spray it. It will kill you.

fabiodriven
02-06-2019, 07:02 PM

I have like a home depot respirator with vapor filters. Is that the right device?

Gabriel
02-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Has to be better than a clean snot rag tied around your face.....which is my usual go to.

*hack...cough**

Excuse me.

fabiodriven
02-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Oh I know what I can use. I have a military protective mask (gas mask).

Shep1970
02-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Says you need a a2/p2 type respirator. Haven’t googled it yet though. I should buy one too, I guess spraying upwind with a swearshirt wrapped around my face I’ve just been lucky.257107

Shep

fabiodriven
02-13-2019, 03:23 PM
OEM parts!! My favorite!

I've been getting out there periodically to work on the bike but the winter does put a damper on things. It's coming along though!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190213/4ee84f4a391085c2393ec7580f7d761e.jpg

Arky-X
02-14-2019, 12:59 AM
Oh I know what I can use. I have a military protective mask (gas mask).

I guess the one the Ssgt didn't get from you when the scud alarm went off?
Love those stories on your deployment thread.

tripledog
02-14-2019, 01:55 AM

Be mindful of the fact that Spraymax 2K can also be absorbed through pores in the skin and eyes, so full protection is a good idea.

barnett468
02-14-2019, 08:50 AM
Fabio, i have done a fair amount of painting, and i actually used a 2 part spray can clear just a few months ago and they have a tendency to splatter and there is no real way to stop them from doing that and you will easiltut be able to notice it but if you are going to xolor sand it afterwards is not a big deal xxvu at thwe very least i woulsc warm the paint can up to around 75 or 80 and also spray the tank in a room that is at least 60 degrees and preferably a little warmer. If a can is cold, i put it in a pan of hot water for a few minutes and shake it every 30 seconds or so. It will flow better and lay out smoother if it is warm, just in case you didn't know.