PDA

View Full Version : Another No Spark on 84 BR 200es - Lot's of Troubleshooting Included

coolpool
03-27-2014, 09:13 AM
And yes I've scoured the forums and talked to some highly knowledgeable folks via PM. Lot's of great information trying to sort this out:wondering

Here's what I got happening - Parked it one day, no spark the next. First thought, CDI. Tried testing the CDI as per the manual, but got some goofy results. Seems like a common issue with the test procedure in the manual. Got lazy and ordered a re-pop off eBay. Still no spark. Lesson learned, INVESTIGATE!

BTW, the electric start works great and the headlight, tail light, neutral/reverse lights work. I've tried disconnecting the ignition switch and kill switch ground. No change. I've disconnected the reverse lock out and jumpered the neutral switch to ground, no change.

I'm getting 30V AC out of the exciter at full crank with the spark plug out but 0 ohms resistance:wondering Measuring the resistance is the only test in the book?:confused:
Pulse generator resistance is 29.2 ohms = good
I removed the coil and spark plug boot like the manual states, .3 ohms primary, 3.94K ohms secondary = good
I get continuity from the exiter wire to the CDI
I get continuity from the CDI to the primary wire on the coil.
Every wire I remove I clean up and cover with dia-electric grease

Not too sure what else to troubleshoot?

I'm leaning toward the exiter coil, thoughts?

DohcBikes
03-27-2014, 09:30 AM
On the exciter coil.....are you getting zero, or are you getting no reading, or OL?

No matter what, a coil of wire should show some resistance.

coolpool
03-27-2014, 09:44 AM
On the exciter coil.....are you getting zero, or are you getting no reading, or OL?

No matter what, a coil of wire should show some resistance.

Zero resistance out of the exciter coil, but it can produce 30V AC at full crank. That's what baffles me?

DohcBikes
03-27-2014, 10:01 AM
And what's the resistance spec on it then? I'm pulling up the ES manual now....

DohcBikes
03-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Ya it shows 100-400 ohms. If you are testing it correctly, and I think you are judging by your other numbers, its no good. One bad reading on a coil of wire makes it so I would certainly not use it.

I think you already knew lol..... the VAC output is confusing but weirder things have happened.

Scootertrash
03-27-2014, 10:20 AM
coolpool:
You do know that dielectric grease does nothing to improve an electrical connection, right? It's a non-conductive grease designed for spark plug boots, those little rubber bullet connectors, and the like to make them easier to disassemble and reassemble and to keep them from getting stuck together over time. It does this without transferring electricity thru the grease. You could use it as a rust or corrosion prevention measure on various connections I suppose, but it won't improve conductivity.

coolpool
03-27-2014, 03:32 PM
coolpool:
You do know that dielectric grease does nothing to improve an electrical connection, right? It's a non-conductive grease designed for spark plug boots, those little rubber bullet connectors, and the like to make them easier to disassemble and reassemble and to keep them from getting stuck together over time. It does this without transferring electricity thru the grease. You could use it as a rust or corrosion prevention measure on various connections I suppose, but it won't improve conductivity.

Roger that Scooter! Just doing it to protect from future issues.

Scootertrash
03-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Roger that Scooter! Just doing it to protect from future issues.

:beer

Just makin sure :D

coolpool
03-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Not a big revelation but it seems that the exited coil is pooched. So the next big question is what years interchange for stators. I checked servicehonda and it seems no two stators have the same part number but they look the same?

tri again
03-28-2014, 06:29 AM
so? no spark with e start AND pull?
I got so aggravated with one 200es I gave up, pulled OUT the NEW battery
and s.o.b., out of morbid curiosity, I pulled the rope one last time and the sucker threw spark.

Why?
idk, sold it.

btw, I learned there are a few different types of sili grease.
Some are insulative and waterproofing and some are conductive .

coolpool
03-28-2014, 10:40 AM
so? no spark with e start AND pull?
I got so aggravated with one 200es I gave up, pulled OUT the NEW battery
and s.o.b., out of morbid curiosity, I pulled the rope one last time and the sucker threw spark.

Why?
idk, sold it.

btw, I learned there are a few different types of sili grease.
Some are insulative and waterproofing and some are conductive .

No difference with pull start and e-start. Read about that while searching and tried it too. I think if your CDI is slow or weak that can happen? Thanks for the tip on dielectric silicone. Going to post a WTB in the classifieds or try to find a coil on eBay right now.