PDA

View Full Version : 600 Grizzly atc??

lokisbuddy
03-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Anyone out there ever think of turning a 4x4 quad into a trike? I am thinking of turning my 00 600 grizz into a Yamaha utility trike anyone have the fab skill to make a beefy set of triples and forks

Stonewall
03-25-2014, 07:25 PM
The thought has occurred to me, yes. But I'd like to base one off of the Honda Rancher 420. It'll take a lot of fabrication on the front of the frame, as you will have to take 4 points and merge them to one (the head tube), and make it look like it belongs that way. Making the plastics and tank look right will be another challenge. A custom front axle and hub assembly will most likely also have to be fabricated. I would start with choosing what set of forks to run, personally I wouldn't want any less than 6" of travel if I was building such a rig.

ironchop
03-25-2014, 08:31 PM
I've always wanted a rokon 2wd bike front end on a Big Red. I wouldn't canniblize the Rokon, just build a similar design but end result being a 3wd Big Red.
Have you figured out the rake and trail you want for a trail rig, loki?

3 Wheel Drive
03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Check out the trikes the Chinese build: http://www.3wheelersworld.com/module/a0011/more.php?pkey=24703&classID=1010&intModulePK=A0001_10&PageSize=12

lokisbuddy
03-25-2014, 08:54 PM
I haven't put much thought into the technicalities yet but i want something that loves the mud with indipendant rear suspension and at least 8" up front

DohcBikes
03-26-2014, 03:54 PM
The above post is easily made into a that's what she said joke.

If you haven't thought of the technicalities then you better git to it. That would be a very powerful trike that wants to destroy weak parts any chance it gets lol.... at least of course if you want something that will function properly and wear at a reasonable rate that is.

The only tip I have is don't use a Yamaha trike frontend. But I did notice that you were asking about fabbing a stronger set of triples and forks. The keys to a build like that are as follows....

1. Have money.

2. Get more money.

3. More money.

lokisbuddy
03-27-2014, 02:30 AM
I have money what i need are the devil and angels on my shoulder with the pros and cons.

86T3
03-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Cons: a trike gets its stability from the rear axle. The independent rear will turn your creation into a 700lb death trap.

Scootertrash
03-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks 86T3. I never thought of it that way. Makes sense tho.

DohcBikes
03-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Cons: a trike gets its stability from the rear axle. The independent rear will turn your creation into a 700lb death trap.
Not necessarily.

It depends on what you use it for and how you setup the suspension.

Its not like its never been done before. It just has to be done right. Its not like the grizzly has two 200x shocks on the back,,,,,lol had to do it.

The pros would obviously be a serious work trike that doesn't necessarily need to carve corners.

Oh ya there's always that "they said it couldn't be done" factor. Just guessing, but I bet lokisbuddy likes this factor.

All that said, I'd still use a large utility quad that has a solid axle in the rear if it were me.

DohcBikes
03-27-2014, 10:50 AM
http://www.lanciaflavia.it/public_old_foto/4img-1241621299.jpg

Bad angle but these came off the line with IRS. There are tons of IRS trikes overseas, so saying it won't work at all is really not an option here.

If you want something, don't let people tell you you can't do it just because they think they can't.

bigmac
03-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Id use a 300 Honda trx 2wd because they are more simple and parts can be found everywhere and everyone has one down here

DohcBikes
03-27-2014, 12:21 PM
I think he's looking for something bigger and more powerful than a 300.

I would love to see a large displacement utility trike, IRS or not.

If only just to see a quad cut up :TrikesOwn

RIDE-RED 250r
03-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Harley Fat Boy front end comes to my mind for such a build....

briano
03-27-2014, 12:35 PM
The grizzly 600 is a straight rear axle anyways. You'd have to get a 660 for irs

atc300r
03-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Honda vtx 1800 frontend is also a posibility.

ironchop
03-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Not necessarily.

It depends on what you use it for and how you setup the suspension..

with some swaybar action...lol

DohcBikes
03-27-2014, 02:50 PM
The grizzly 600 is a straight rear axle anyways. You'd have to get a 660 for irsExcellent point, I don't know anything about Yamaha quad rear ends so I wouldn't know.

Someone here was doing an IRS trike a while back but I don't know how far they got.

If we are now talking about a straight axle 600 utility trike then once again I'm allllll for it!!!

Strength is not the only thing to be concerned with. You'll want it to handle properly as well. Rake and trail are key to a functional trike. I would suggest studying the rake and trail of a big red before you start looking at front ends and triples.

Your bike weighs about 650lbs. Gusset and weld accordingly.

lokisbuddy
03-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Harley Fat Boy front end comes to my mind for such a build....
I was thinking of that or the front end of a boss hoss. but the trike would not be used for anything other than dredging through swamps and rivers and toting my fishing gear across swamps. And yeah a 300 is not gonna cut it im looking for at least 600 I might even use a bigger engine :) but it will be after my 200rx build (blaster engine in x chassis) but I want to get all the ducks in a row so I can start easing the old lady into the costs :)

lokisbuddy
03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
and yeah my 07 grizz is irs I thought 00 was too but its mono shock. I will use a rock crawler style suspension on the back with a straight axle also im thinking of a wider front end with a winch mount between the forks.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Well, I'm not sure it would call for a front end as heavy as the Boss Hoss has.. Whats a Fat Boy tip the scales at... roughy 800lbs I'm thinking??? That's still significantly heavier than a Grizz. And I bet a Fat Boy front end would be easier and cheaper to source.

The VTX front end suggested by ATC300r I'm sure would be strong enough as well. Just about any big fat cruiser bike outweighs a Grizz.

DohcBikes
03-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Actually a Fatboy and a grizzly are very similar in weight. Its ok though most people think Harleys are heavier than they really are. 1998 Fatboy dry weight is around 630lbs. Curb weight is about 660.

I don't think you want to use a motorcycle frontend, especially a raked out street bike. The triples will not be wide enough to accommodate a tire that is wide enough to handle the push in the turns. A Fatboy front tire is 150mm wide if I'm not mistaken.

Its best to go completely one off in this case, other than maybe the forks, in my humble opinion.

King Trikester
03-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Don't forget the fact that you would shed a few pounds when you cut the front end off, one less tire, the front wheel drive system etc.

I love the idea of a modern utility trike, awesome I hope you go through with it

El Camexican
03-28-2014, 12:11 AM
You can use the front end off one of these. You can buy them on chibay. Shipping might be a little high though.:lol:

lokisbuddy
03-28-2014, 02:23 AM
Was looking at my kz1000 front end today i think i will use the forks off that just need some tripples made.

DohcBikes
03-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Not recommended. The k1000 forks were BARELY sufficient for a 550lb bike on the street. Notoriously weak forks. They won't hold up off road, in my humble opinion.

DohcBikes
03-28-2014, 10:42 AM
And stop looking at your KZ like that,,,,,,what did it ever do to you become parts for a Yamaha????

I'd use Harley Dyna forks, in case anyone cares.

atc300r
03-28-2014, 12:48 PM
From what I read some of the guys that put inverted forks on their 250rs used vtx 1800 triples . My thought is they are up to the task .And you can use 250r front hub,brakes and such. Just a thought. Search inverted forks vtx. Kaseys thread is where I read it from.

ironchop
03-28-2014, 12:53 PM
And stop looking at your KZ like that,,,,,,what did it ever do to you become parts for a Yamaha????.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

lokisbuddy
03-28-2014, 03:54 PM
And stop looking at your KZ like that,,,,,,what did it ever do to you become parts for a Yamaha????

I'd use Harley Dyna forks, in case anyone cares.

lol I should have specidfied. when I bought my kz1000 it came with a parts bike I have the forks and the broken triples left over.

tobys 2 strokes
03-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Why not utilize your front drive and go with a christini frontend set up and have a all wheel drive trike?

http://www.christini.com/

lokisbuddy
04-05-2014, 04:52 PM
heres pics of the candidate I doubt the 700 efi grizz will be cut apart lol pics of a bike I found in my barn I don't even know if it runs. One day im gonna go through all my cbuildings and get all my toys and put em in one area I am guessing I have over 40 bikes and atvs lol. well on to the pics . I can picture the grizz as a atc :) 190680190681190682

slashfan7964
04-05-2014, 05:54 PM
What are you going to do about the front driveshaft?

danbur55
04-05-2014, 09:13 PM
And I thought I had a problem with OCD. 40???? Wow too much fun!! Lol

lokisbuddy
04-05-2014, 10:34 PM
And I thought I had a problem with OCD. 40???? Wow too much fun!! Lol

lol I am an impulse buyer when it comes to atvs and dirtbikes. if I have cash and there is one for sale I will more than likely leave with it. as for the front drive shaft I will probably pull the cv axles and make a block off plate.

Dave_D
04-06-2014, 12:35 AM
PTO for the winch...

riverrat
04-06-2014, 12:53 AM

Would it? I've been thinking of doing an independent rear trike for years. Actually I think it would increase stability in certain situations, like hitting a boulder with one rear tire, the trike won't jump to one side as much. Sure it might want to lean the other way in a turn, but it already wants to do that and we handle it just fine.

lokisbuddy
04-06-2014, 02:38 PM
PTO for the winch...

Now that right there is an idea... or maybe a pto for a log splitter lol

slashfan7964
04-06-2014, 03:35 PM
I would think an IRS trike would cause potetial frame twisting issues under long term serious abuse. WHen you lean on an IRS quad the front wheel on the side you lean to leans with you. On an IRS trike you don't have the front leaning and the far side can only handle so much before you would start to warp the frame, which I think would have most effect up by the head tube. On a solid axle trike its not such a big deal because the other tire can skip and theres less moving parts whereas on an IRS trike the shock would want it to make contact to the ground at all times. I could be totally wrong but that's what made sense in my head. I just think it would cause bad handling, on a sport machine. With this it might not be so.

Stonewall
04-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Everybody seems to think that IRS will be bad for the handling of a 3 wheeler, but it should end up being the other way around. Having IRS would actually allow you to lean into the turn somewhat, similar to the way the Can-Am Spyder works, but without the fancy lean-adjustment linkage. I'd like to see it done, I really don't think it'd be a concern at all. Nobody is going to be flat-track racing a 3 wheeler made from a Grizzly anyway lol.

How is it going to bend the frame? On a 3 wheeler there's only one contact point with the ground on the front, so the whole machine leans.

CRAZY70MAN
04-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Everybody seems to think that IRS will be bad for the handling of a 3 wheeler, but it should end up being the other way around. Having IRS would actually allow you to lean into the turn somewhat, similar to the way the Can-Am Spyder works, but without the fancy lean-adjustment linkage. I'd like to see it done, I really don't think it'd be a concern at all. Nobody is going to be flat-track racing a 3 wheeler made from a Grizzly anyway lol.

How is it going to bend the frame? On a 3 wheeler there's only one contact point with the ground on the front, so the whole machine leans.

Judging from your sig.........you do no not ride a 250r ......that idea is a long way off my friend...trust me. I race 250r's and I could only imagine the technology! Gonna be a while....a 250r is a handful to throw in a corner let alone with irs....Lets learn to ride em' like they were made to be ridden@@@

lokisbuddy
04-06-2014, 09:14 PM
on a 250r I would want the straight axle but the thought was irs on a utility trike. I have digressed past that though as I don't want to cut up my 700.

slashfan7964
04-06-2014, 09:15 PM

It wouldn't outright bend a frame more so as weaken it under heavy abuse over long periods of time, at least one would think so.

Stonewall
04-06-2014, 10:05 PM
You are correct, I don't ride 250r's. I've never even been around a race 3 wheeler. My thoughts were based on utility 3 and 4 wheelers, which is what this thread is about. Y'all are all wantin to compare this to a TPC rig, which it wouldn't be in the slightest... That's kinda like comparing a 450r to a Foreman lol. Why would anybody ride a Grizzly based 3 wheeler like it was a 250r?

86T3
04-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Why dont you just trade me that 600 for my big red, everyone will be happy. Lol. Either irs on conventional, good luck with the build.

DohcBikes
04-07-2014, 02:29 AM
IRS would clearly be less stressfull on the frame than a solid axle.

And as far as cornering, it would take some serious planning to get it to corner at anything faster than snail speed, simply because a conventional IRS setup is going to lean AWAY from the turn, not into it as a motorcycle does......

It could still be done, because anything can be done and people prove it every day, especially with power sports equipment.

Best (and easiest, considering cost and actual usability) thing to start with for a serious modern utility trike is going to be a 2wd, mono shock, straight rear axle quad.

OK enough talk someone build it and change it till it works right......

riverrat
04-07-2014, 12:12 PM
4x4's already lean the wrong way and don't flip over. I have a feeling it wouldn't be much different at all. Matter of fact it could be fun if you lean enough to the inside and cause it to tilt the same way a dirt bike does. Plus you could play around with setups or add a stabilizer bar.