PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how I am going to tell the wife about this new toy...

Zach
03-24-2014, 11:32 AM
My Sister and brother in law were going to Oregon to look at a boat so they offered to look at a 350x for me. I was excited for two reasons 1 I couldn't make it there to check it out because I had to work, 2 my sister is the best negotiator I have ever met. The guy was asking 1000 obo I would not have paid more than $800 because of the crappy Craigslist pictures and ad. My sister who is 5'2 and 120lbs told the owner she was going to give him $700 and she had it loaded up with a bill of sale (no title though I did check and it has a clean VIN). When it was dropped off I was pleasantly surprised.

I was told the clutch was replaced last year, brake and clutch cables recently replaced, new brake pads, front and rear fenders replaced within the past few years. Upgraded headlight bulbs (not sure to what yet), New K&N air filter.

I found after I got it had an older Supertrapp exhaust system. It has an aluminum grab bar, headlight and master cylinder brush guards and polished rear wheels.

I was told he bought the bike from his best friend about 15 years ago and before he bought it his friend had some engine work done to it. You never can tell what that means, but I am well over 300 lbs and even with one full and one flat trailpro on the back I had to keep off the throttle all the way through 3rd gear so that front tire wouldnt go over my head.

Its parked at my parents farm and I had to drive 50 miles back to my house in Seattle to get ready for work so I only got to play with my new toy for about 30 mins. Now I just need to wait for the wife to actually buy that $400 foot and leg massager she "just has to have" before I tell her and I should be in the clear...

C.J
03-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Hey buddy, you better change that sig! You got 2 sets of trailpro's now!

Nice score!! Especially for 700! SHEESH! I need your sister to be my negotiator lmao

hoosierlogger
03-24-2014, 05:24 PM
That's a good lookin bike for $700. I'd take a butt chewin from my wife to get that for $700. On second thought she probably wouldn't notice if one more showed up. She couldnt tell the difference between my 200x and my old 110 I had.

Mr. Clean
03-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Nice score. Front and rear wheels in your pics were OEM for the 1986 350x, and based on where the clutch cable is routed suggests 1986 as well.

polished rear wheels.

JasonB
03-24-2014, 05:37 PM
nice pick up for that price!

Zach
03-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Hey buddy, you better change that sig! You got 2 sets of trailpro's now!

Nice score!! Especially for 700! SHEESH! I need your sister to be my negotiator lmao

I just sold my 200m that had the Trailpros, I dont think you are allowed to own more than one set at a time

briano
03-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Tell her you won it in a raffle. Lol. Good score.

honda200x1987
03-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Looks like s good rider,well worth the 700 you paid. I would love to build me an R but my wife would have a fit if I bought another ATC. I have rode a 350X once, that 350CC engine is a monster compared to any 4 stroke I have ever ridden.

slashfan7964
03-24-2014, 09:12 PM
I would have paid $1,200 for that. Nice score dude.

Fungo Wizard
03-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Awesome score!! Definitely worth the money there!

3 Wheel Drive
03-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Yea tell her it cost $100, my gf still thinks my tiger cost 1500 LOL!!!

Zach
03-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Well I broke the news to her, she took it unexpectedly well. Especially after I explained to her how much it would mean to me if she would at least attempt to let me teach her to ride so she can share in what I love so much. I hope she will give it a go I think the Big Red will be a great machine for her to feel more comfortable on. Heaven forbid I have to get her something with 4 wheels.

lokisbuddy
03-25-2014, 05:29 PM
nice buy man just tell the old lady what I tell mine. "nothing" lol if she accidentally finds out tell her how pretty she is and take her to bed :) (for a full body massage)

El Camexican
03-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Whenever the wife asks what I paid for something I always tell her; "I got it for half price". There is something in female DNA that reacts favorably to that phrase.

ironchop
03-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Two things: damn my wife is cool. She may complain about breaking her toe on a BSA 441 Victor I had inthe living room and occasionally she rolls her eyes about 3wheelers, brit bikes, guns, tools dentside fords and ratrod stuff but shes never threatened to leave me or told me No.........which is why I would be so happy to have a 700$ 350X like that, I would just hand her $700 too and say go have some fun yourself! Yer sister can help me score some megadeals too if she doesnt mind. ILL buy her a steak dinner!

Scootertrash
03-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Whenever the wife asks what I paid for something I always tell her; "I got it for half price". There is something in female DNA that reacts favorably to that phrase.

But Honey, it was ON SALE!

El Camexican
03-25-2014, 10:52 PM
But Honey, it was ON SALE!

When I send her shopping she always comes back and tells me: "Everything was on sale! I would have saved more, but I ran out of money"

Thorpe
03-25-2014, 10:57 PM
The age old quote "easier to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission!"

robertc
03-25-2014, 10:58 PM
I use the tear down and scatter parts method. Although the eagle eye can spot another trike if its a roller, she seems to not notice the additional trikes if I can get them torn down and into bins!

tripledog
03-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Nice score, Zach! I would say you did very well on this deal.

Zach
03-25-2014, 11:54 PM

Hhahaha that was actually worked into the conversation when I told her. She didnt really mind she knows trikes are what I love.

afdfirefighter
03-26-2014, 11:13 AM
I always "traded something laying around or tools" and when I sell something I always "take less than what I was asking" to help the toy fund lol

Zach
03-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Yea I have a wedding DJ business so get to deal in cash pretty often, so its easy to have a few extra bucks when I need it that she doesn't know about.

MRSOUND
03-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Yea I have a wedding DJ business so get to deal in cash pretty often, so its easy to have a few extra bucks when I need it that she doesn't know about.
I know that scenario! Used to do the same thing (DJ & side a little cash from it) Full time job changed the rules on mandatory overtime forcing me to give it up. I was booking events as far out as 2 yrs and they could tell me the week of I had to work that saturday. Used to be they could only mandate 2 Sat a year. New contract new rules:( Need the full time job for insurance so the side job had to go. man I miss that extra cash.:cry: