PDA

View Full Version : The Escalation of Repairs! - We've All Been There

coolpool
03-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Problem - 73 ATC 70 clutch slipping at WOT in third. No problem; ordered clutch plates, clutch nut tool and gasket from hondaatc70.com. Open up the side and end up destroying one of the three screws trying to get the clutch basket cover off. Someones been into this before as the three screws are all different:wondering Order three screws from Honda. Remove the clutch and discover one of the four little springs are missing; and it's done damage to one of the metal clutch plates when it came out. Order new springs off eBay and clutch plate 'A' and 'B' from Honda. While waiting for those parts to come in I think I'll tackle my left side oil leak while the foot pegs and skid plate are off. I'm thinking the shifter seal is the culprit; yes it is but there's oil coming from behind the flywheel too. Off comes the flywheel and left cover. The large o-ring on the stator plate is leaking. I order the large o-ring, two small o-rings and a crank seal. Am I done? Nope, I see that the cam chain adjustment roller is riding beside the chain and is chewed a bit:wondering. Off to Honda for a new roller and a cam chain. I tried removing the cam chain with the head in place but forget it, off comes the head. Luckily I have an assortment of gasket kits handy with a new head gasket and stud seals. To escalate costs more I decided to replace all cap screws with stainless hex head bolts on the engine cases. I took it for a rip last night and am happy with the results, and no more wet spots on the garage floor. My 82 70 had the exact same oil leaks so I did it too while I was at it. Because I need more to do:lol:

Original Parts List
Clutch plates
Rt side gasket

Actual Parts list
Clutch Plates
Rt side gasket
three screws
4 springs
clutch plate 'A' and 'B'
stator plate o-rings x 3
crank seal
left side gasket
cam chain roller
cam chain
head gasket and seals
assorted stainless hex bolts

briano
03-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Ahh yes, the simple job is never so simple. Lol. Been there too, many times but that's all part of the fun. My wife don't even ask any more when I have to order parts and there's boxes piled up in the porch when she gets home from work.

My buddy was like he was in a spy movie when UPS was bringing parts. He'd be out hiding from his wife to get his packages before she saw the UPS driver coming up to the door.

JasonB
03-20-2014, 12:43 PM
lol man i know how it goes! jump into one job and 6 more are lurking in the shadows! Cant help but have the 'well its already apart why not do it right' mentality. I took my 500 apart to freshen up the bore, 8K later im still buying parts and finding more to do :D

shortline10
03-20-2014, 12:46 PM
I can truly sympathize with you :lol:

ironchop
03-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Ahh yes, the simple job is never so simple. Lol. Been there too, many times but that's all part of the fun. My wife don't even ask any more when I have to order parts and there's boxes piled up in the porch when she gets home from work.

My buddy was like he was in a spy movie when UPS was bringing parts. He'd be out hiding from his wife to get his packages before she saw the UPS driver coming up to the door.

hahahaha.....same here....my wife was absolutely chewing my ass to pcs over all the packages from (insert name of Doug`s relevant hobby here) shops....So was my good friend Dan....so he asks if he can have stuff for him shipped to my house and I in turn had my stuff shipped to his house or just to work....worked great. "No honey, that's not mine it`s dan`s stuff"..........THEN Dan`s wife showed up with a bunch of stuff of mine telling my wife "please tell Doug to stop doing this because he is getting Dan in trouble with me for spending money thinking these pckgs are dans....to which my wife said "ditto on that" and we were busted....so we shipped stuff to work after that.

I failed to learn my lesson until one night she had a whole fifth of rum Runner and blurted out "it wouldn`t be so bad if I was getting some of those boxes".........EPIPHANY!!!!!.....after that, I usually buy my wife something to come in the mail everytime I do....doesn't matter if it`s equal value. She just squeals with delight when she gets a package (HAHAHAHAHAHA pun intended) in the mail and is content for many days to come after.

Give yer wife a package every once in awhile (ROTFLMAO....I`m SO immature) and she`ll probably be less pissed off...just sayin

and coolpool...at least that is fixed FOR GOOD now!!

jakestrawn
03-20-2014, 10:15 PM
that's good thinkin

El Camexican
03-20-2014, 11:28 PM
Reminds me of this song ♪There's a leak on my trike dear Liza♪

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHdZj-qkeQ

Dirtweed
03-21-2014, 09:18 AM
I just end up tearing everything I buy down and rebuilding it cause I know I'm going to end up doing it anyway if I just
try to fix a few things.