PDA

View Full Version : Another YTM / TRI-Z Front end swap!!

czac
03-19-2014, 04:49 PM
http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-sjgX4Jz/0/L/i-sjgX4Jz-L.jpg

http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-p2RswRL/0/L/i-p2RswRL-L.jpg

So I finally got everything I needed to do the TRI-Z front end swap on my YTM 225 DXN it went fairly well and is all set now, I may take it apart at a later time and re do things so they are a little bit better off but for now, All's well.

It wasn’t a “Bolt On” operation like it seems it should be because the TRI-Z steering stem is longer than that of the YTM meaning when you install it, it sticks up out of the YTM column to high for the top bearing to sit down inside the YTM column where it is supposed to. At least on my 85-86 YTM it did.

The set up would be to use your YTM bottom bearing on the bottom and tri-z Top bearing on the top but I ended up having to use my YTM Bottom bearing on the bottom and TRI-Z bottom bearing on the TOP, because it fit over the thicker part of the shaft where the top bearing would normally seat and sat down inside the YTM column where it should be. (Don't try and figure it out, just look at my drawing below, its got pretty colors and words and stuff...lol)

the one thing was... there was a bit of play between the TRI-Z bottom bearings ID and the upper part of the TRI-Z stems OD so it doesn’t fit perfectly but, after all was tightened up, it works well with almost zero play that I can find.

The best way to have done this would have been to either have the TRI-Z Stem turned down so the top Bearing would sit inside the YTM Column correctly or go the cheaper if-you-don’t-have-a-lathe- route, and put about an inch tall (Approx.) spacer under the bottom bearing to raise it up on the stem higher so the top bearing in its stock seat would be inside the column. (confused yet?)

So.. the run down:
1985 TRI-Z Front End onto an 85-86 225 DXN
TRI Z Steering Stem is a couple inches taller than the YTM Stem
The TRI-Z Bearings are close to the same ID and OD as the YTM or at least my (85-86 YTM DXN)I think 1984’s are different...
I used the YTM Bottom Bearing on the TRI Z Stem and ended up with the TRI Z Bottom Bearing on the top so it would slide down enough to fit into the YTMs shorter Column.

If I had turned down the TRI Z Stem, the top bearing I used would have been the one for the TRI Z top.
The other option would have been to use a spacer or about a 1” stack of big washers UNDER the bottom bearing to raise it up to take up the space difference between the TRI-Z and YTM Stems.
I then used a stack of 4 (I think) washers to take up the space between the top of the upper bearing and the bottom of the lock nut threads on the column.

Please see my childish “Sketch up” drawing to show you what the heck I'm talking about.. (just trying to prove I am not drunk, high or insane...lol)

http://www.brokenfencephotography.com/photos/i-HxD2Z4r/0/L/i-HxD2Z4r-L.jpg

bigdaddyvw185
03-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Great info! and boy does it look Great! Good job :beer

czac
03-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks man! Maybe i will ride down to your house..... think the cops will bother me? Lol i can tell them its farm equipment..

bigdaddyvw185
03-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Yea good luck with that one, Ill be going to pick it up with you from the Seymour impound if you made an asinine decision like that lol :lol:
I think you should throw it in the pickup and bring it over then we can go ride in the woods behind my house :D

YTZ drew
03-19-2014, 08:31 PM
That looks awesome! And your sketch is far from childish, actually it made it all make sense. Nice job!

czac
03-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks Drew... lol I hope it makes sense, incase anyone is thinking of doing this with their 225.

czac
03-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Yea good luck with that one, Ill be going to pick it up with you from the Seymour impound if you made an asinine decision like that lol :lol:
I think you should throw it in the pickup and bring it over then we can go ride in the woods behind my house :D

lol... now that would be funny... I don't know about Seymour but I think if I got picked up by Oxfords finest, we would have to track them down where they would be riding it in the woods before we could pick it up!