PDA

View Full Version : Adding to the stable

bnz 41
03-18-2014, 05:24 PM
This last Saturday I made the mistake of going to the local farm sale/consignment auction. It seems like there is always something that I can't live without. They had 16 three wheelers for sale! I ended up with a Yamahauler 200E complete and running with a DG pipe. The plastic is pretty faded but complete and it even has pretty good tires. The price was $275. My little boy fell in love with a Yamaha Moto-4 80cc as well. I think he sat on it all day! When it came up for sale I was the only bidder and took that home as well for $75. It has been sitting for quite a while and so will probably need some TLC to get it running. I passed up a sort-of rough YTM225 DX for $160 that supposedly ran, and I'm still kicking myself a bit for that. I also passed on a '86 250R with a blown engine for $550. It was a little ragged but definitely worth that.

Next step is get a manual to work on the Moto-4. My little guy is pretty excited and I'll need to get that running before I can spend some time surveying what I've got in the Yamahauler. Funny story- I've been teaching him how to ride on one of the other rigs and he's getting it figured out. His Grandpa asked him what makes a good three wheeler rider. He says "you've got to be smooth and gentle like good toilet paper." I may have said that a time or two to him when we were learning to ride :lol:.

Keith Salyer
03-18-2014, 05:43 PM
That was the Motherload of sales..

atc007
03-18-2014, 06:24 PM
On the Moto 4 . Clean the carb and tank. Adjust the valves. And if it won't run ,check spark. The CDI's went on them ,sometimes yearly :(. No joke. They will usually give you one shot of spark when you touch the button,then nothing. Change the diff oil also :)

DohcBikes
03-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Cant wait to get back to farm auctions now that im into trikes. Where in nebraska are you from? Im from Kearney!

JasonB
03-19-2014, 04:38 PM
thats awesome man, i dont think i have ever seen 16 3 wheelers for sale at the same time. I would have had problems passing on the 86 R for that price! hell, would have been worth twice that in parts ! Very cool on the 4 moto, good luck getting it running for the little guy

honda200x1987
03-19-2014, 08:51 PM
That's alot of 3 wheelers in one auction Benz, What were the others? Any 350X 200X's? There is a guy a mile down the road from me, he goes goes to auctions and buys cars trucks and resells them in his front yard. He always has a different 3 wheeler for sale , right now he has a 83 HONDA ATC200E. I'm not sure what his prices are, I never stopped in an asked but if he ever comes up with something special I will stop by. I have seen him sell a 86 250ES, 83 200X, 85 350X, ATC110 and a few others but haven't seen any R's or 2ng gen X's yet.

bnz 41
03-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Dohc- I'm from Blue Hill so not too far from you. As for the other trikes, there was a really nice 200m but 2 people got in a bidding war and it actually went for over 900 bucks. They had a few atc 90's and 110's, multiple YTM 200's, a KLT 200, an '82 ATC 200 with no motor, a rough ATC 70, the aforementioned 225dx, my 200e, the 250r I talked about, an '82 big red. Mostly the common farm-used trikes, but a great way to spend a Saturday none-the-less.

whipit
03-19-2014, 10:19 PM
If the moto-4 is one of the unsuspended models from the 1980's, you will need to disassemble the rear end and grease the ring and pinion with as much grease as you can get in there. pack it in. They do not have oil in the rear end, just grease on the ring and pinion...which flys off over time and causes the ring and pinion to go all to hell. There are a zillion moto-4 80's out there that are in decent shape and would run and ride all day if they had a rng and pinion- which are very expensive and possibly no longer available