PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250r swingarm, need help!!!

Auto_Demon
03-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Ok so I removed my swingarm to change the bearings and bushings because there was so much play in them, anyways after cutting the swingarm bolt in 4 places to get it out, I cant for the life of me get the need bearings and bushings out, ive soaked them in release all, used my buddy's 20 ton shop press and they still havent come out, what am I doing wrong? can anyone help me?

JasonB
03-17-2014, 08:57 PM
What I had to do and some buddies did with their 250r bolts was cut them out and go to a shop with a press to pop them out. Those suckers aren't going to slide out with out a few tons of persuasion

rg97
03-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Heat and beat has always worked for me. I have a bernzomatic propane torch that I will heat parts with bearings with. Just enough to expand, no crazy cherry red stuff. Try and get the releaser out before you do that though, just to make sure it wont explode!

El Camexican
03-17-2014, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=Auto_Demon;1296853]used my buddy's 20 ton shop press and they still havent come outQUOTE]

Are you serious, you put 20 tons to them and they won't move? That seems excessive, be careful.

pipeline triker
03-17-2014, 09:19 PM
They are nasty, I had to get mine out in piece's. Put them in the press and apply some heat and they should move. maybe.

Auto_Demon
03-18-2014, 12:07 AM
I didnt put a full 20 tons on it, i was crankin it down and the swingarm start to bend so i backed off

DohcBikes
03-18-2014, 12:14 AM
Its unfortunate, but sometimes it takes so much heat, banging, and cutting, that you can be time and money ahead by just getting a different one.

Don't forget to try freezing. Dry ice or CRC freeze off. Mild heat before freezing works best.

El Camexican
03-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Have any of you guys ever run a bead of weld around the inside of one of these races? It works wonders on steering head races, but I don’t know if you could get a rod in that hole.

DohcBikes
03-18-2014, 01:28 AM
Have any of you guys ever run a bead of weld around the inside of one of these races? It works wonders on steering head races, but I don’t know if you could get a rod in that hole.Bead of weld on races, note to self.

RoscoW
03-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Haven't had one that this didn't work on. The mechanical advantage of the screw is tremendous, and your only pulling thru a sleeve so there's no bending the swing arm. This shows pushing against the opposite side but you can get them moving by just pulling the nuts together on the threaded rod with the socket and then revert to pushing them out.

82 250r
03-18-2014, 09:51 PM
RoscoW has the easiest method to get them out and back in.

Auto_Demon
03-19-2014, 12:47 AM
We ended up cutting the races from the inside just enough so we could squeeze the whole thing so they collapsed, got em all out now. Thanks for your help everyone

Dirtcrasher
03-19-2014, 01:20 AM
They are so thin that too small a socket breaks off the lip. I heat one spot up red and bend them up with a small punch, then a brass drift knocks them out.

Always install bearings with any markings outwards, unless your done already :lol: