PDA

View Full Version : Repair 350x forks, or swap them with something better?

p26575r16
03-08-2014, 10:02 PM
I finally got around to replacing the fork seals in my '86 350x today. I was expecting the oil in the shocks to be dirty. What I was not expecting is for it to be as thick as grease on the bottom with water on the top....... I ended up taking them all the way apart and taking a good look at them. What I found is wore out everything. I ended up cleaning everything thouroughly, installing the new seals and putting fresh fluid in them. I am going to ride it next weekend and the seals were inexpensive so I'm not out much whatever I do.

I'm moving back to IL in august and plan on doing a complete restomod on it after I get there. I am planning on extending the swingarm 2 inches if that makes a difference on the fork selection. I'm just trying to figure out if I should start buying parts for the forks I have, or start aquiring a different setup for it. Right now, I ride it exclusively in the sand and these forks have been fine for that, but when I move I'll be doing a lot of dirt trail riding. Thank you for your input.

deathman53
03-09-2014, 12:13 AM
What I would do is buy a set of 83/84 250 forks. Then put the internals of 250 forks in the 350 bottom legs and use the 250 top part. You get a much stiffer ride and ~3" more travel

Dirtcrasher
03-09-2014, 01:13 AM
3 more inches of travel with the Terrycable mimic damping rod swap?? I didn't think I gained that much but certainly a better ride though? :beer

Your saying the 83-84 250R top tubes?? I hadn't heard that yet?? Obviously at 35mm They fit right in the 350X triples.

I gotta read your post again, sorry, now I can't remember if you said to use the "guts" the upper tubes, or the lower 83/84R damping rods as I did to change the height of the oil hole within the rebound damping tube.

"use the 250 top part"

p26575r16
03-09-2014, 02:26 AM
So, what your saying is to get the 250r forks and only reuse the x lower rim mount tubes? One other thing I've been thinking about is doing a inverted fork swap, I just don't know if it's worth it for my style of riding.

SUPERBEAST
03-09-2014, 03:59 AM
go with inverts

BOB MARLIN
03-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Some people are of the opinion that inverts on a 350x frame will just brake up the frame. I believe it could be done with some frame strengthening. But I also think the stock forks have a lot of potential if put in the right hands, that way you won't have to deal with adapting the front brake from something else.

Dirtcrasher
03-09-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry Deathman, I like your posts! But either you are posting by cell or PC quickly and not giving enough information.

The DEAL WAS, use 83/84 250R damping rods in 350X forks, then add progressive springs, (found mine for 69$) to mimic the Terrycable kit offered back in the day.

The holes for the oil can be welded and raised and the type and height of fork oil can be played with.

I have never read to " Use the entire 83/84 250R lower legs and guts (damping rod) ". Or, " use the 250 top part " Very conflicting/confusing.......

Please confirm your suggestions and Thank you!

As far as frame breakage, has anyone seen one break at the neck or front lower pivot/down tube?? I have not but I could grind it all off and double the plate thickness.

Show me some pictures and I will think about the options available. But, if a fork soaks up more, rather than bottoming, I can't see it being WORSE........

manbearpig
03-09-2014, 11:06 PM
83/84R fork tubes are shorter than the 350x tubes so if you're going for a lower front end, use the 83/84R tubes and guts with 350X bottoms

IMO, you should replace all bushings, scrapers, seals and oil in the stock 350X forks. send the forks to someone who really knows what theyre doing with ATC suspension tuning if you plan to modify the 'guts'

wolfspider
03-10-2014, 05:20 AM
i have done this conversion in the past with great results, you need all of the (top parts)chrome sliders and guts (ie springs etc) of the 83/84 atc250r and put them into the 350x fork legs(lowers) this was a tip i got off 3 wheeler.org, i think it was black sheeps thread, it improved my suspension and gave me more travel, i highly recommend it.

wonderboy
03-10-2014, 07:48 AM
If you want to rebuild your forks, the upper bushing is still available from Honda. However, the lower bushing (the one that is on the bottom of the fork tube) looks to be discontinued. Were your original bushings worn down to the copper? The bushing on the bottom of the fork tube has a grey (I think Teflon) coating on it. If that is still in-tact, it is good. If it is copper colored , then it is worn.

Regarding the upgrades mentioned above (250R guts swap):
Here is a thread I posted on where I included pictures from when I did the swap: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/133454-Frankenstein-forks

You definitely don't get 3" of increased travel. One inch more is closer, and even that is a bit optimistic. The more important factor is the increased rebound damping you get by using the 250R damping rod. The rebound damping is controlled by the small diameter holes in the bottom of the damping rod. The large hole controls the compression damping. The increased travel comes from the longer damping rod, although I think it is somewhat limited by the original 350x lower.

You also need to use the original 350x lowers (sliders) in order for your brakes and axle to go back on correctly.

It is your choice to use the 250R or 350X fork tubes. Either will work.

p26575r16
03-10-2014, 11:48 AM
If you want to rebuild your forks, the upper bushing is still available from Honda. However, the lower bushing (the one that is on the bottom of the fork tube) looks to be discontinued. Where your original bushings worn down to the copper? The bushing on the bottom of the fork tube has a grey (I think Teflon) coating on it. If that is still in-tact, it is good. If it is copper colored , then it is worn.

Regarding the upgrades mentioned above (250R guts swap):
Here is a thread I posted on where I included pictures from when I did the swap: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/133454-Frankenstein-forks

You definitely don't get 3" of increased travel. One inch more is closer, and even that is a bit optimistic. The more important factor is the increased rebound damping you get by using the 250R damping rod. The rebound damping is controlled by the small diameter holes in the bottom of the damping rod. The large hole controls the compression damping. The increased travel comes from the longer damping rod, although I think it is somewhat limited by the original 350x lower.

You also need to use the original 350x lowers (sliders) in order for your brakes and axle to go back on correctly.

It is your choice to use the 250R or 350X fork tubes. Either will work.

The non brake side tube was the worse one. The bushings in it are completely shot. The other tube bushings were worn, but not badly. I took it out for a shakedown run yesterday after cleaning and resealing them. What a difference that made, huge improvement. I'll be riding it at sand mountain nv this weekend, if I like the way it rides out there I'll probably keep the factory setup. I don't jump it a whole lot, I was just under the impression the suspension sucked on the 350x's due to the way my x rode prior to adding actual fluid to the forks. I should have at least checked it in the past, but it was alway's an afterthought. I had it in some decently rough desert terrain yesterday and I thought it was a huge improvement. Lesson learned.

p26575r16
03-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Looks like the lower tube bushings can be bought from rocky mountain atv, upper bushings say not in stock, but should be available soon. I'll make a call to honda to see if they are available later.