PDA

View Full Version : running lights on a 140 powered 70

JasonB
03-08-2014, 12:01 PM
What voltage regulator is needed for running lights on a 140 motor in a 70? My buddy is trying to get some lights running in his 70 for the Little Sahara ride and said a universal voltage regulator is required, which one do you guys recommend or run? And where is the best place to acquire one

JasonB
03-08-2014, 12:16 PM
what about this one? The motor is supposed to be set up to run lights, just need the regulator from what I was told. i will double check what 140 brand motor he has but i think lifan

http://www.dratv.com/6voregre.html

p26575r16
03-08-2014, 12:35 PM
I have a 350x and Im going to do something different for the lighting system power. I alway's hated that the machine needs to be running to have lights. I saw someone do this the other day and I'm going to rewire my lights to do the same. I'm going to use a 14.8v lithium polymer battery to run my lights next weekend. The batteries are super light, and one of my smaller packs should run the lights for the whole weekend. Don't know if your familiar with these batteries, but the pack I'm going to use weighs probably 4 oz and is about 3 inches long and an inch wide and tall. I just bought these packs two weeks ago and I think they cost $6 a piece. The chargers are less than $20 now. Just another option for you.

JasonB
03-08-2014, 01:04 PM
That's awesome! Never heard of those but sounds like something I need to look into. I wonder if those would power a starter for a 350x with goki kit?

ezmoney1979
03-08-2014, 03:19 PM
You need to have the right equipment in place in order to not over discharge li-po batteries or they are toast. They cannot go below 3 volts per cell. You need something that has a lvc. (Low voltage cut) Li-po batteries can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

tblumer
03-08-2014, 04:34 PM
use this one :

http://www.dratv.com/12vre2.html

I had to with the stator that was in my Lifan 140

JasonB
03-08-2014, 07:47 PM
use this one :

http://www.dratv.com/12vre2.html

I had to with the stator that was in my Lifan 140

and what about the two wires running out of the case? Kyle says they are both live, any input on which one of those you hook up to the regulator? thanks for the suggestion!!!

p26575r16
03-08-2014, 11:54 PM
You need to have the right equipment in place in order to not over discharge li-po batteries or they are toast. They cannot go below 3 volts per cell. You need something that has a lvc. (Low voltage cut) Li-po batteries can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

Correct. For some reason I think everyone knows about lipo's...... Anyway, you can get a lipo alarm with volt display for about $3, and a fireproof bag for the the battery if need be. If you go this route the batteries need to be completely independent of the charging system on the atc. You can get lipo's that will run a goki starter, however it to would need to be completely independent of the charging system as well. The upside to that is the lipo's weigh a lot less than a traditional battery. The other option would be to get a small 12v atv battery. I'm running the lipo's because I have them, and all the equiptment needed to use them. If your not familiar with lipo's, a different route may be better.

Mosh
03-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Mount the regulator to frame. Ground the brown wire. Take the yellow wire from the stator and connect it to the yellow wire at the regulator. Take another wire and connect it with the two yellow wires at the regulator then run that third wire to your positive terminal of your headlight. Then ground you headlight to the forks. The light will be on all the time. If you want to have a switch just run a 2 wire handlbar toggle switch in line with the yellow wire to shut the light off when wanted.

Here is the schematic. Last one on the page. You can use any 2 wire regulator. Even a 250r one will work. You just have to identify the positive and ground of that particular regulator.

http://tboltusa.com/store/tech.php?pID=57/Wiring+With+Lights