PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing an ATC?

samster143
11-30-2002, 09:15 PM
Guy's I'm from Florida and live in Maine. I'd like to keep riding through the winter...... Does anyone know what type of tire would push my wheelers through the snow? How bout a very aggressive mud tire or a sand tire with big paddles on it. I've got a 200x and a BIGRED. For wheels, are the thinner wheels (.125) strong enough? or should I run the thicker ones (.190). Do the light ones make a peformance gain thats worth the sacrifice in strength? Anyone that rides through the winter I'd appreciate any input. Also what kind of gloves are warm enough? $60 BURTON ski gloves are'nt cuttin it up here!

86waterpumper
11-30-2002, 09:35 PM
Not sure which tire would suit you the best, or gloves as we don't get much snow down here and I've never ridden in alot. As for your rim thickness, I would only get .190 douglas red labels, unless you weigh about a hundred pounds, and don't plan on jumping any, I wouldn't trust the thin stuff. I thought that the .190's I got where at least as light if not lighter than the stock rims.

freaksfix
11-30-2002, 10:46 PM
Pro Wedges all the way!!! Or spider tracks with sheet metal screws... As for the gloves I have a huge box and whatever is dri I wear, and the rest hang over the wood stove in the garage..

TimSr
12-01-2002, 12:25 AM
A good mud tire will usually work well, also the soft rounded knobbies like Cheng Shin do well too. Avoid paddle types, because you cant run them in a stright line in the snow. All they do is fishtail! I like my All Traks, but thats my personal preference.
For your hands, mittens are better than gloves, Something well insulated with a leather outer material, or something like it that wind doesnt blow through. Also, they have grips with a heating element inside, that they sell in Dennis Kirk. They wire into to your electrical system, and they work pretty well. My brother had them on his Blaster. Ive always been fine with the mittens, but its an option.
For rims, I wouldnt waste my money on anything smaller than .190's. Even on TimJrs E-Ton, with ITP .190's he managed to bend them up pretty good with normal riding. Personally, nothing beats those stock Honda gold aluminum rims like on my 250R. The only "advantage" to the thinner rims is price, until you have to start replacing them. Weight difference is a couple pounds at best.

12-01-2002, 07:47 PM
Im with Tim on the All-Traks. I dont ride in snow, but judging from how they do in all other types of terrain, I think they would do fine in snow as well.

Dynofox
12-01-2002, 07:51 PM
How are these tires all-around? I was thinking of getting them when I need new tires.

OldSchoolin86
12-01-2002, 10:49 PM
Save the money on the rims and go with the douglas 160s. They're tougher than the ITP 190s. As far as tires I would go trail claws. They aren't as agressive as some but they are basicaly a paddle design and are still very light. Nothing worse than heavy tires.

Wickedfinger
12-01-2002, 10:49 PM
... Man I'm still saying the Dirt Devils I put on my Z were the best snow tire I've ever had. The original Wolley Boogers are a close second.

12-01-2002, 11:58 PM
The AllTraks are pretty good in just about everything. Yeah they are kinda heavy, but they are tough too and not too expensive.

PowerTrike
12-03-2002, 10:23 PM
As for tires...mud designs usually work quite well, and I have always gone with thicker tires so they resist puntures and you'll notice no difference on the bigred (i have 2 of them :) ) one with softies and my main ride has very thick strong tires. i dought thicker tires on the 200x will matter much as far as affecting performance. hope this helps

oh yeah...your hands will get cold no matter what ;)