PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Moto Slow Speed Riding Question?

Tri-Motor
02-28-2014, 05:00 PM
I searched and couldn't find an answer so here it goes, I'm gonna be helping out on a farm this summer (temp usually between 70-100 degrees F) and will be using my YT125 for getting around there are pulling a small yard trailer with supplies (fuel for the tractors, oil, fence post, etc) and also when I ride the trails they are very rough, Will riding around slowly in 1st and 2nd gear for extended periods of time (1-2 hours) overheat the engine? Being it's a 2-cycle I want to be safe not fry my engine. Thanks

Dave_D
03-01-2014, 12:38 AM
http://youtu.be/hgemONCL_jM

Kidding aside I'd say go for it. It's what they were designed for there's an actual tri moto video on you tube from the 80s that shows them doing numerous things

If someone else wants to correct me. All good

Thanks

slashfan7964
03-01-2014, 12:58 AM
You should be fine.

Tri-Motor
03-01-2014, 01:47 AM
I looked and couldn't find the old ones. I didn't mean to upset anybody and if I have I'm sorry. I'm glad to know that I won't hurt it by working it hard. Thanks

Dave_D
03-01-2014, 01:55 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/165182-Tri-Moto-125-engine-question

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/164581-Tri-Moto-125-engine-cooling-question

All good. But it's true
This took about 5 seconds to find lol

Tri-Motor
03-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks. I watched that video and it sure is neat, never thought a YT125 could pull a fertlizer tank like they show in the beginging

barnett468
03-01-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm gonna be helping out on a farm this summer (temp usually between 70-100 degrees F) and will be using my YT125 for getting around there are pulling a small yard trailer with supplies (fuel for the tractors, oil, fence post, etc) and also when I ride the trails they are very rough, Will riding around slowly in 1st and 2nd gear for extended periods of time (1-2 hours) overheat the engine? Possibly.

Two strokes are not designed to take as much abuse as a 4 stroke is and neither are small displacement engines like yours. If you tow things like 300 lbs up a slight hill it is not the best thing to do especially if it is hot outside.

If you must tow heavy things [250 - 400 lbs max imo], it would be beneficial to change your gearing by putting around a 4 tooth larger rear or 1 tooth smaller front sprocket on it. This would substantially reduce the amount of load on the engine.

Kidding aside I'd say go for it. It's what they were designed for there's an actual tri moto video on you tube from the 80s that shows them doing numerous things...If someone else wants to correct me. All good ThanksThey were NOT designed for towing. Just because Yamaha might show it towing things in their promotional literature does NOT mean that is what they were designed for, that's just a marketing gimmick.

Thanks. I watched that video and it sure is neat, never thought a YT125 could pull a fertlizer tank like they show in the begingingI towed a 7000 lb truck with a KLT200 as part of a test, but that doesn’t mean that one should.

Just don't want ya to hurt the little guy.

:beer

DohcBikes
03-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Ahhheemmm he he soooo....what kind of oil ARE you planning to haul....

if its low on ZDDP it will never work:Bounce

barnett468
03-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Ahhheemmm he he soooo....what kind of oil ARE you planning to haul....

if its low on ZDDP it will never work:Bounce

As implied above, it’s been determined that hauling oil with high levels of ZDDP will reduce the wear on your engine, in addition, if you are hauling oil in temperatures of 45 degrees and below, it is recommended that you haul a lighter viscosity like 10w-40...

barnett468
03-01-2014, 04:38 PM
POST CORRECTION

"10w-40", should be 10w-30.

I have no edit button.

:beer

Dave_D
03-01-2014, 05:51 PM
The fertilizer tank in the vid I think was towed with the yamahauler 4 stroke 200
If it was a lightweight trailer I'd tow it sill
Just be smart with it. If it looks to heavy or you have doubts. Simply don't but a few hundred pounds why not ?

Tri-Motor
03-01-2014, 06:58 PM
I'll get to the oil right away, a few gallons of Delo SAE 30 haha. Thanks to everybody who replied, mine does have the factory trailer hitch which is rated for 360 pounds. I'm curious to see how well it does since the most I've pulled was an ATC 110 out of a deep puddle. The Yamaha does seem to pull like a tractor in low gear

Tri-Motor
03-01-2014, 08:53 PM
I'll make sure to get one this summer cause I'm it'll happen again. It's an 85 110 that's been way abused, no front fender or air filter, back fenders all broke, and my friend thinks 20W-50 oil is fine to run in it below freezing. I'm sure you guys have seen worse ones on here though haha. So I also found out that my neighbor has an ATC 200M and an 185 sitting in his shed that haven't moved or been ran in over 25 years. I want to buy but he won't sell them and it makes me sad cause I know he'll never do anything with them. Should I start a new thread for this cause I want to ask about them on here and see what you all think?

barnett468
03-02-2014, 11:14 AM
...when i read a barnet post....a barnet post......i want to slit my wrist riding on MY - TRI-MOTO ! MY YEA YEA YEA WOOOOO !Perhaps if you tried a higher quality utensil than the one you have been, such as the Outdoorsman Edition of Steak Knives with beautifully designed faux wood handles and razor sharp serrated blades made of the highest quality Carbominium steel from the Chesterfield Collection of Fine Dinnerware, you might have greater success at achieving your goal.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Tri-Motor
03-02-2014, 11:58 AM
I love the beach boys haha. I have no idea how his 110 is still going between no air filter and 20W-50 below zero that hasn't been changed in over 2 years and he rides it hard. It has absolutely no compression when you pull the rope but always fires up on 2 pulls

Tri-Motor
03-02-2014, 01:17 PM
And just a heads up for anybody who buys a trike or quad from around my area be careful cause alot of the farmers around here on there tractors and wheelers will take the air filter off when it gets plugged up and throw in the trash and never put it back on. The farm I'm gonna be working on did with this with an 85 Polaris Trail Boss which I ended up having to rebuild (Not a Polaris fan after doing that and I think the belt drive is the stupidest idea)