PDA

View Full Version : "Project Yamahaulers"

350x'inNY
01-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Ok, I diversified my portfolio this weekend... bought a Yamahauler from Trikeaholic and a Tiger. He also tried to sell me his one eyed dog. ;)

:D (Just joking about the Tiger! He was gracious enought to show it to me and allow me to sit on it.) :D

Anyhow.... Anyone have info about Yamahaulers?? I had Big Reds here on the farm growing up and will search my magazines for info on the Yamaha counterparts.

I looked on the site here, and I'm guessing mine is a 1985 model, as it has reverse. I looked at the pic shown for the Broshure and it shows the racks on it, but this one has additional items that were not in the pic. I am wondering of these were stock on a 85 or whether these are rare Yamaha assessories. The one I bought from Holic has a Gun Rack that mounts to the triple tree, a trailer hitch, and a set of 'nerf bar' looking pipes that wrap around from infront of the frame to each footpeg.

There is some noise in the rear end according to Holic. I haven't unloaded it from my trailer yet! I did notice the brake cable line loose and laying on the rear axle. Hopefully, this was the wierd sounds, but if not, do 225DX Shaft drive rear ends interchange? What other parts (225DX, Moto-4 200, etc) interchange with the Yamahauler??

I am 'stalking' a could Clymer repair manuals on eBay. If any of you have one for sale, that will be my first purchase to start bring this baby back to a good life!

This is my first 'non-Red' trike.... help me out you Yellow riders!!! :D

Bruce

MIK6
01-04-2004, 05:04 PM
I have a complete Yamihauler (85 w/ reverse) here!! The stator case is damaged, the frame is CUT in 1/2. I made the front rack fit my DR. the carb is a mess from sitting, BUT everything else is here let me know if you need anything!!
I offered it to TRIZ-JIM but if he doesn't need the same parts they are yours.
I am in Oswego NY, so no shipping LOL

LET ME KNOW
MIK6 / Mike

Trikeaholic
01-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks mike!, hey bruce there is a DX rear end on ebay for cheap right now, im sure the innards are the same, but still we are not sure whats wrong with it.

MIK6
01-04-2004, 06:04 PM
The DX/DR use a different pinion housing. I have 1 of each here. If you want you can take a look a both of them. Plus I have the complete yami 200ern rear ennd here. This was a running yamihauler w/ a bad head tube, the guy got a frame for a swap, but got a 200K frame(chain drive). He then tried to cut the head tube off to mate the frames together, it sat for 8 years till I got it . So I know the rear end is good.

MIK6 / Mike

Trikeaholic
01-04-2004, 07:21 PM
wtf are people thinking when they do stuff like that??? stupid a holes...

350x'inNY
01-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Well.... guess what??? That frame I had here wasn't a 225DX frame after all. It's either a 200 with an electric start or the Yamahauler! The only difference I see is in around the base for the engine.

I've got the frame and all the racks upstairs here. Going to get cleaning/painting the racks. I am going to have to use the one lower fork that's on the Yamahauler cause I just noticed that the Right one on the frame has a hole in it! :D

I put the battery charger on it and the headlight works and I can hear a 'click' underneath the airbox when I try to use the electric start.

Those 'nerfbar' things are more heavy duty than I thought, they include a engine skidplate and also bolt into the engine mount supports.

MIK6 --- I'm going to try to get a manual this week and start working on the rear end, front forks, and cleaning the old oil out of the engine shortly thereafter. I will definitely let you know if I need any parts!!! I also got a pail of parts with mine. I'm pretty sure it has a stator cover in there if you need it. Heck, once I get the front end and stuff off this other frame maybe you can use it to piece that other bike together!?!?!?

Bruce

350x'inNY
01-04-2004, 08:37 PM
The top of the triple trees have identical stickers about oil and using the ignition switch/lights.

MIK6 -- the frame I have says 1984 Model YAM24W0196 on the emission sticker on it. I think the 84's were chain drive, so it might not work for you afterall. How are the plastics on yours? Rear brake and cables??

More 'Before' pics....

Bruce

Trikeaholic
01-04-2004, 09:06 PM
I am very interested in watching this restification! Please keep the site updated. Hope it all works out good for ya. BTW, I got my 350X running today, nothing a plug change couldnt fix. I still need to rebuild the carb, its still running really rich.

MIK6
01-04-2004, 09:26 PM
That is the same trike I have here for parts. It must be a 84 too I have never looked at it. I picked it up for the stator cover, its on my DR. I think the plastics are better that what you have, but I haven't looked at it.
I am not into putting it back together. The guy that tried the frame swap got it over 1/2 dissasembled befor he saw the new frame was chain drive, so I have no idea how it goes back together, what holes are messed, bolts missing... ect.
Come on up and take a look at it and see what you need / want.

MIK6 / Mike

Trikeaholic
01-04-2004, 09:44 PM
its true, I did try to sell him my one eyed dog!!

She is a Boxer, wifes mother breeds them. (used to) She came out white and was supposed to be killed, so the wife adopted her. We also had a really nice brindle colored male who died last year. She was the runt of the litter, really cute as a puppy, not so much anymore! LOL. Anyhoo, when the litter was all climbing all over eachother, someone stepped on her eye, so now, shes blind in one eye. She loves to chase trikes still.

350x'inNY
01-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Love the pic of the pooch! hahahah

So have any of you seen these 'Nerf Bars' before??? :? I think they look pretty bad arse!

Bruce

yellowhammer
01-05-2004, 11:20 PM
i dont think the nerf bars come stock on them. she looks to be in half decent shape. for your rear fenders where they look "on the pic" to be like a chalky white, try scrubbing them good with a "SOS" pad, it worked on mine. my fenders were worse than yours, and now they are yellow again. that is one small tire on front, i got 25-12-9 all round my yamahauler[/quote]

350x'inNY
01-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Yeah.... the back tires are a 25 x 13 - 9. I think he must have put that small tire up front to keep the tire from hitting the nerf bars with those forks bent back so far! :D

Do you think the bars were a Yamaha option or aftermarket? Anyone have brochures from back in da day or magazine articles? I'd like to find out some history on this bike!

Bruce

thefox
01-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Well, I have never seen those bars before. I have tried to make some like that for mine but have not been to successful. I hate running out my own legs :D .

-Andrew

Howdy
01-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Let me add some information here.

1984 they made 2 different 200cc models. They made a 200cc chain drive YTM200L and a 200cc shaft drive YTM200EL ( Yamahauler ). I am 99.9% sure the frames are different.

I am pretty sure the 200cc and the 225cc differentials are different also.

Howdy

Muddy200x
01-06-2004, 03:58 PM
its true, I did try to sell him my one eyed dog!!

Hey Trikeaholic, That pic would make a cool avatar for you . Hehe :-P

350x'inNY
03-20-2004, 02:57 AM
Well..... Project Yamahaulers is starting to ramp up. Bought some nice parts on eBay in the past few weeks to build up some inventory and replace missing/broken parts on the 2 machines.

Currently in Ohio and heading over to Howdy's in the morning to fetch out some more parts, see his fleet, and share my archives of mags, manuals, and pics for the site here.

Will update with some more pics as I start piecing the parts together! Alot cheaper to piece together than 350X's! I bought a complete reare end, differential, hubs and axle for ~$25. Brand new NOS front fender for under $25. Heck.... nicely restored ones for 350X's are going for nearly $200! Right Speedbump??? Going to try cleaning up my fenders like that over Easter Break.

Bruce

Howdy
03-20-2004, 04:07 AM
Currently in Ohio and heading over to Howdy's in the morning to fetch out some more parts, see his fleet, and share my archives of mags, manuals, and pics for the site here.
Bruce

I am sure there will be some stories to tell after tomorrow. Bruce will probably wished he brought a BIG Truck. lol

See you tomorrow Bruce. ;)
Howdy

350x'inNY
04-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Well..... got enough parts from Howdy and eBay to finish the second Yamahauler. I have nearly 2 weeks off at Easter here to do some wrenching. Still looking for a 200E ignition switch with key and a reverse handle lever. (200ern, 225drn, or moto-4's should interchange on the reverse lever)

THEN I got an offer I could not refuse..... going up towards Watertown today with a trailer to pick up the following.....

Complete 225DX. Just had a head/ring job. Says it runs but won't idle. He's not positive whether it's carb or timing, but he doesn't have time to work on it anymore. Thinks it might be 2 teeth off on timing or have some carb issues.

This deal also has the following extra parts.....
6 carbs, 2-3 throttle levers/cables
DuraBlue +3" rear axle for 200 or 225DX5 voltage regulators
4 cdi's
2-3 wiring harness's
battery cables
2 solinoids
coils tail light
brake parts front and rear
hubs 3 and 4 bolt
some cables and levers
headlight switches
clutch baskets
Air boxs
cylinders and heads
1 or2 stock axels
shifters and linkages
1 set of good forks
flywheels
stators
front and rear racks
4 parts engines
shocks
battery box
foot pegs
swing arms and drive parts
there's more, i had a few parts dissapear
but theres more ,,, i have some cans with misc. parts

I'll let you all know how happy I am tonight when I actually see the stuff!
Bruce

350x'inNY
04-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Wow.... My trailer is completely packed.... I can't fit another thing in it to the ceiling!!! I'll take some pics before I unload it. A complete 225DX, Talking 4 complete engines, 2 complete 225 swingers/drives, 3 sets of plastics, (one set of blue ones), 3 drives only, 3 axles, 2 sets of front forks, tires and rims, 4 rear racks, and countless other items! Even got some Honda parts in the deal! Let me know if any of you are looking for 200X frames, 70 parts or a rough looking but running 200s.

Later... I'll type more later!

Bruce

TrikeKid
04-04-2004, 01:06 AM
i have a one eyed dog :rolleyes:

350x'inNY
05-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Over Easter break, I was able to replace the front forks, throttle lever, fork boots, and front brake hub on the Yamahauler that Trikeaholic found for me....

Tonight, being so irritated with the clutch on the 350X, I decided to work on the Yamahuler.....What a frustrating night!!! I got the choke cable changed with out a problem, and got the gas tank back on it....then the little things that frustrate me started happening.....

1.) Got so many freaking parts and bikes in my shop, I took the 2 350X's out side and then slid a KLT200 motor around to get the 4 wheeler out.... well, it tipped over, but I was like... whatever..... well, I went back and it had leaked oil all over from where the towel plugs where the electric starter should be....

2.) I cleaned up the air filter, then noticed the clamp was missing from the carb tube to the air box... went and found one and was messing with that with a trouble light and was all fumbling in there.... errrrrr...

3.) I then noticed that the cam chain cover on the head only had one bolt holding it on, so I looked through my pile o parts and found some bolts.... well, I found to OEM ones and took it apart.... was all caulked on and I couldn't get the screw to go in to the second hole..... frickin bolt is broken in there! The guy caulked it shut with just one bolt holding it on....errrrrrr

4.) I then noticed that the header only has one bolt too..... so I went and found one..... sure enough..... broken stud in that toooo..... errrrrrrrrr

5.) I knew the exhaust only had one bolt holding it one, and then I looked at the cylinder head has no bolt in the engine mount! So I look at the engine in the frame from MIK6.....no bolt..... I look in the mount on the 225DX I got with the parts.... no bolt..... errrrrrrrr....

6.) Then to put the icing on the cake, I see the clutch cable I had taken off my 350X.... remember the 86 cable that was charred so I put a 'used' cable on it??? Well, the adjustment that was on it would have made it be basically a new clutch...... or...... the cable I put on it was a used cable and it's stretched...... so I might try that..... hopefully the 'old new charred' cable will allow me to adjust it so it stops slipping..... and hopefully, I haven't 'slipped it beyond repair'..... but by that point I was so irritated, I just turned out the lights!!!!!

Bruce

Trikeaholic
05-12-2004, 10:31 PM
that sounds like a typical nite of wrenching on trikes, to me!

350x'inNY
05-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Well, the saga continues......

I was down to the shop getting the girls ready to go to Binghamton for a new clutch for the Go-Go and a check up for the Showgirl, when I got done cleaning and packing parts, I decided to tweak on the Yamahauler some....

Well, I ended up taking the entire air box out to get that stinking carb hose onto the box.... put the box back in after cleaning the nuts out of it - musta been a good home to a squirrel for a bit-- cleaned the air filter, gave it a squirt of starting fluid, and put the air box lid back on. Went over to the gas tank and got me some fuel and fuel'ed her up. I gave it some choke (first time with the new cable) and she started up on the 3rd pull!!!!! That the end of the good news.....

I could here some rattling in the recoil area, and once I turned off the choke, the RPM's started climbing, even though I wasn't gasing the throttle. Well, I got a lil nervous about it so I hit the kill switch and shut her down. I go to restart it, and the blame dog ear wouldn't catch the basket.....errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

So I took the recoil off, and am going to put the recoil form MIK6 on it that Howdy rebuilt for me in my trip to Ohio. Guess I'll have to take that one that Holic got working to Trikefest with me..... At least I got to use it once to atleast start the thing! Didn't smoke much which is a blessing....

While I was messing with the airbox, I've noticed that the wiring is a mess back there! Wires in free space, some spliced, looks like others broken off a relay or something. Guess it's no wonder the electric starter won't work, and now it doesn't even 'click click' back there. The headlights wouldn't come on with the battery charger either this time....

What do I need to check on the reving rpm's?? I've replaced the choke cable and just the throttle lever since I picked it up at Holics.... it idled pretty well there. Is there an adjustment for the throttle lever? Or was it just the Starter Fluid working off the air filter that made it rev up with out throttling up??

Well, looks like the last installment of Project Yamahaulers for awhile.... switching the focus back to my 350X's to get ready for Trikefest! See ya'll there!

Bruce

350x'inNY
05-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Errrrrrr..... stopped by the shop to check on my soaking clutch plates for the 350X, and decided to put on the other recoil starter that Howdy had so gratiously rebuilt when I was in Ohio.

Put it on, and the trike started on the 2nd pull, without choke. The idle was pretty high, but I'll adjust it. I was pleased.....

BUT.... for some reason, the headlight and tail lights came on this time, but the dash switch was just in the 'on' position. When I turned the switch to the 'light' position, the motor turned off and the lights went out. Is this how that switch is suppose to work? In 'On' the headlights run off the motor, and in 'light' they run off the battery? (The battery is junk in it...)

The other part, is that with it idling, the engine wasn't missing at all, but I could hear something 'catching' in the transmission area I think. It didn't sound good, but it didn't effect the motor rpm's either. So I've shut her back down. I'll start her up when the crew picks me up for Trikefest.... Any ideas in the meantime??????

350x'inNY
10-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Now that I got my 2 350X's and the 82R about where I want them to be, plus seeing "Yamahauler"'s project starting up with such enthusiasm, I'd figure that I ought to start workingon the 2 YTM200ERN's I've gotten from Trikeholic (together with 'Nerf Bars') and MIK6 (in pieces - need to put together on a new frame) here on the board.

The last time I worked on the one from Holic, it started up on the 2-3 pull and would idle nicely. Had a 'clack' to it which everyone I talked to said was a loose cam chain.

Today I went down and tried to adjust the cam chain. Figured I'd adjust it, then let it run for the most ever and start the "drain-flush' cycle of the nasty oil that's in it. (looks like milk)... anyhow, the Clymer manual said to put the motor at TDC and when I looked in the inspection hole, looks like theres either that nasty oil or muddy/water that coats the flywheel so I can't see where the "T' is. I then thought... If I start it, it'll fling that crap out some... well then it wouldn't start.

So.... questions......
1.) Why is there crap in the flywheel? I take it I should take the recoil, and stator cover off and clean/dry it up. I have new gaskets for these.

2.) How do you guys get watery oil out of an engine besides starting, draining, refill, etc etc?

3.) Is there an electrical troubleshooting you guys go through to get electric start working again? I just hear a 'click' under the seat.

Thanks guys...
Bruce

TheOlderFox
10-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Bruce, if you just here a click, that probably means your starter solenoid is bad. If there is oil in the stator, you may have a bad seal. Pull that side of the case apart to check the seal and you can drain the case at the same time.

So from now on, I should just come to your place to work on machines instead of buying new projects for myself.... I'll work on the Yammie's for ya. My bro and I still want to get down there sometime to check out your trails.

350x'inNY
10-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Sure... let me know whenever you want to come down. I got plenty of parts to try and fix them up. I got a 225DX too.

I'll try to tear the side cover off and see what's in there. The 200ERN doesn't have an automatic adjusting cam chain right? Do you have to have it at TDC to adjust it?

Thanks!
Bruce

TheOlderFox
10-25-2004, 05:13 PM
I don't think the ERN has an auto adjusting cam. You just need the engine running to adjust it. Turn the adjuster so that the rod is flush then start the engine and see if the rod moves a little, if it does, you are good. If it doesn't back off the adjuster.

TRIZTUNES
10-25-2004, 05:42 PM
they are call floorboards.they were a factory accessory.

part#aba 21v-57-00-00 pretty rare item.
yes the ytm 200 and ytm 225 rears are total different.
the 200 has a thicker rear axle.
take it a part as long as the ring and pinion gears are good you buy all new bearings and seals did on my ytm 225 for about $100.
it was just frozen.
if they come up discontinued try timberwolf or beartracker.they are the same.

TRIZTUNES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

350x'inNY
10-25-2004, 10:23 PM
TRIZTUNES... thanks for the info.... I picked up a pair of hand brushguards that mount on the handlebars still in the NOS box too! Now, you were saying the 200ERN and the 225DX axles are different diameters? I have a DuraBlue +3" rear axle that came with all those parts... guy said it was rare, discontinued and would fit in either 225DX or the 200ERN... what do you think?

Bruce

TheOlderFox
10-25-2004, 11:12 PM
I can't say for sure, but looking at the yamaha schematics, the part number for the 200ERN axle is 24W-25381-10-00 while the 225DX is 29U-25381-00-00. I want to say that the 10 will make a difference and one site I checked can get the 200 axle but lists the 225 as unavailable through them....something tells me they are different. A call to a dealer would settle this though.

Pistonhead
10-26-2004, 10:15 AM
I am sure there will be some stories to tell after tomorrow. Bruce will probably wished he brought a BIG Truck. lol

I could see myself needing a 2 ton! :D

350x'inNY
01-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Well.... finally an update!!!

TheOlderFox came out and gave me much Yamaha wrenching help today! Cleaned out the sludge in the Yamahauler I bought form Holic. Great spark... got it running. Adjusted the timing... was off by a tooth and think we figured out that the auto tensioner on the cam was messed up. Going to dig further into the engine in a future week. ;)

We did get the 225DX running though. Found the timing off a tooth. The carb on it had some internal missing parts. (needle clip and pilot jet MIA??) Got the timing right, found one of the 4 gas tanks that had a working petcock and slapped some fuel to her. Put on a carb I got from Howdy awhile back and she started right up! Got to clean up the airbox, replace the front tire, and put the plastics on it!

Thanks again TheOlderFox... I really appreciate it! Anytime you need parts or a hand... let me know! Look forward to doing some riding next time. Can't wait to see that seat covered! You da man! :w00t:

Bruce :TrikesOwn

Kintore
01-03-2005, 05:06 PM
cool bars Bruce, never seen them before

350x'inNY
04-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Holic... All I can say is that Yamahauler I bought off of you is a real messed up muther!

"Theolderfox" ended up tearing the motor top end down 3 times Saturday! We're trying to solve that "clacking' in the engine we hear - remember... I started it up for you guys before Trikefest?. Anyhow, Last time he was out, we tried to tension the cam chain to no avail, so I bought a new one for this wrenching session. So then we start looking at the head.... one bolt broke off on the side cover... both exhaust studs fubarred too. So I had bought a top end gasket kit, so instead of trying to not so EZ out the studs and redrill/tap/die, decided to change the head. Glad we did! The cam chain was stretched almost a whole extra link, the cam bushing was shot and so was the cam itself! Get in there and I'm like... hmmmmm.... why is the piston arrow facing backwards? It has a non interferrence piston, but it was in backwards! The lifters were shot too! The flat part on one was completely gone and the tabs for the decompression release lever were MIA. After tinkering most of the day (except for a 11 mile ride.... well... 11 miles of the front end to the ground on my 250R! haha) Found the cam tensioner slide shaft was bent too. Anyhow, finally got it back together with the new UNI filter installed too and started it back up... STILL got the same exact frickin clanking noise in the motor! On hindsight, it was good that we decided to change heads, cause wouldn't have seen the piston being reversed, the shot cam & bushing, nor the devoured lifter. However, am back to square one on the wierd motor noise. We know the top end is now tip-top shape... looked like the Bubba had at least exported the cylinder wall work out of shop.... nice fresh hone! The piston looked to be in great shape too!

theolderfox whipped out his mechanics stethoscope (sp) and we determined the noise is coming out of the reverse mech sub tranny. Anyone able to tell me if the 225DR reverse sub tranny is the same setup as a 200ERN reverse sub tranny? :D I got one of my 4 spare shaft motors has the reverse sub tranny, but it's a 225.

Meanwhile, the 225DX got a new UNI filter, airbox installed, headlight fixed and new fuel line with inline filter. I got that thing started and it smoked like bad... and revved extremely high... think it's running extremely rich, as it wasn't "oil" smoke.... also the guy before me had just put new rings and seated the valves in it.

I also need to do something about these darn petcocks on these Yamahas! I got 3 yamaha's and 4 extra tanks, and not one petcock actually works. Errrrr.... Maybe Meat-box will bring a 10 wheeler and load up my fleet of Yamaha's and parts! hahahahahaha

Thanks again "theolderfox" for all your help and the use of your sawzall! Now my trailer is a convertible too! :beer

Bruce

TheOlderFox
04-17-2005, 09:43 PM
'Holic all I can say is thanks from both Bruce and me..... we owe you :naughty: By the time that hauler is done, it is going to be nice though. I don't think there will be much I didn't go through on it. I'm thinking I better check the condition of each bulb filament too.

350x'inNY
04-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Current projects: '85 YTM 200, '8? Tri Moto 125, 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 1981 Yamaha Seca 750, whatever 350x'inNY has around...

hahahaha .... that's pretty good! Thanks again for ali your help!

thefox
04-17-2005, 10:16 PM
hahaha Bruce you need to get 3 tire of the SAME size on that thing! Maybe if you averaged the size of the tires on it now you would get the right ones.

TheOlderFox
04-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Sorry I couldn't resist, and that is actually a 22 on the front and 25's on the back, doesn't look like it though.

350x'inNY
04-17-2005, 10:43 PM
hahaha Bruce you need to get 3 tire of the SAME size on that thing! Maybe if you averaged the size of the tires on it now you would get the right ones.

It came that way. It originally had some bent forks, so I think the guy put that small tire up front so it would clear the frame and the brush guards. I want to get it running first... then I'll mess with the front end! I thik it looks kinda cool... especially in that one side pic. Reminds me of those pulling tractors that "level out" when they are at a slight wheelie!

Bruce

erectordale
04-17-2005, 11:03 PM
350x I have that same 85 ytm 200ern was a good 300.00 dollar investment and it developed a noise in tranny or rear drive shaft trying to get tiger out of shop its the next project . And found the yamahauler trailer to go with it so need to get this thing going time to get the yard in shape. also picked up a freebie frame looks just like the 85 ytm200 shaft frame but this has a chain drive rear axle no idea about yr no info left on frame. any clues what it might be the front fender is the same as the 85 ytm 200 shaft