PDA

View Full Version : 86 350x to build or not to build?

Lee atc
02-08-2014, 10:27 PM
check out this find she aint pretty ,and not alot there but only 200 bucks... eng turns over just missing stator and side cover.plus just about everything else. Has nice durable axle and clean swingarm and carrier. I think i might have a dozen or so misc. parts but its gonna need alot..what should i do build or part out????? 186359

King Trikester
02-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Sell it to me, I need something to do, don't part or out, there's enought parts pirates on eBay already. I would sell my left nut for an opertunaty like that. But they are a dime a dozen down there, impossible to find up here

350xorbust
02-09-2014, 04:03 AM
All I know is , a month ago I was in the same boat. $400 POS in pieces and I decided to rebuild...now the thing is $100.00 me to death!!!
Will I stop...NEVER!!!

Lee atc
02-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Yeh im gonna go for it but little at a time. im still not done with the t3, but couldnt pass up an x

dirtface
02-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Do you know anything about the motor or why they tore it down to this point?

Lee atc
02-09-2014, 01:40 PM
i think the guys buddy needed the stator for his bike so he sold it/gave it away.guy said it ran good just needed money along the way and started selling stuff off it...

6speedthumper
02-09-2014, 08:55 PM
I wanted that axle!! Lol. If you need front end parts, I have an 85 hub/forks. I think the forks are slightly bent, but, I have not put a straight edge on them. I do have straight 86 forks from mine that I'd consider selling. Was going to keep them for an SX build if I ever got one.

Lee atc
02-10-2014, 05:21 PM
to bad your not closer id tradeyour parts for my 86 sx project... i will keep u in mind for those parts thow. theres some on ebay ending tonight i was gonna bid on ,we'll c

6speedthumper
02-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Alright sounds good. I'm probably never going to use them. I went with a 3rd gen R front end on my X so they will most likely collect dust. I've also got two sets of triples and a white front fender that is spider webbed from age but no cracks.

Dirtcrasher
02-11-2014, 01:14 AM
If you want to own an X, that seems like a great start. Lucky for you to find that as obviously no one has paid any attention to it in quite awhile. Best of luck, she's your patient now!! :D

Lee atc
02-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Picked up some parts yesterday, game on

Dirtcrasher
02-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Great starter!!

Take that flywheel off ( no hammer or wrong puller ) And clean that all up. Shift lever may have bent and why the cover was off??

I can't see many ATC 350X's parted DEAD!! No more please!

You can clean that up and enjoy :D

Lee atc
02-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Gonna start on the tare down today,start blasting parts and frame.

dougspcs
02-13-2014, 01:47 PM
But after mine I learned quickly the math of rebuilding a trike. Got a nice original machine with good bones locally for $1100 three years ago..

From this...

To this..was a $2800 journey including the purchase price of the machine.

I quickly learned it was cheaper to buy clean than a project and fix it up!!

But have fun..a good learning project!

Lee atc
02-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Very nice... Ive built one already , then purchased one in great shape minus the maighr plastics for cheaper than the build.. i have an 85 big red in the shop,and an 86 t3, and now this my wallet is really starting to hurt

6speedthumper
02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
I know how both of you feel. My X was nothing more then a burnt up engine with oil cooler in a frame with forks. All rusted out. Picked up a near complete 86 roller for $100. That was the best and only real break I got for this whole build. I gave $225 for the engine and a 87 200x chassis. Fast forward to 8 months later, and I've replaced all the bearings and seals, stripped/gusseted and painted the frame and swinger. Did the 3rd gen R front end. New brakes, including a rebuilt rear caliper (was $90, ugh). New tires, chain/sprockets, had the flex hoses replaced in the cooler lines, etc... LOTS AND LOTS OF PARTS AND MONEY. Then, I've also spent roughly $2000 on engine work/exhaust/carb; which included a Powroll big bore, crank rebuild, porting, custom ground cam, etc... No matter how much planning and numbers crunching you do getting started on a wheeler, it is always too low. lol

Lee atc
02-13-2014, 03:38 PM
yeh im thinking just gonna clean this one up a bit and put it together quick.. try and keep cost down and have a rider to beat around...

Dirtcrasher
02-13-2014, 05:23 PM
I know how both of you feel. My X was nothing more then a burnt up engine with oil cooler in a frame with forks. All rusted out. Picked up a near complete 86 roller for $100. That was the best and only real break I got for this whole build. I gave $225 for the engine and a 87 200x chassis. Fast forward to 8 months later, and I've replaced all the bearings and seals, stripped/gusseted and painted the frame and swinger. Did the 3rd gen R front end. New brakes, including a rebuilt rear caliper (was $90, ugh). New tires, chain/sprockets, had the flex hoses replaced in the cooler lines, etc... LOTS AND LOTS OF PARTS AND MONEY. Then, I've also spent roughly $2000 on engine work/exhaust/carb; which included a Powroll big bore, crank rebuild, porting, custom ground cam, etc... No matter how much planning and numbers crunching you do getting started on a wheeler, it is always too low. lol

And when it's done it is yours free and clear and you can keep it looking fairly new!! It is possible, yet hard to find a good runner these days without many problems overlooked; Build it your way, keep the gas inline filter changed, the A/B box filter clean and oiled and run some good oil in there. Then, you know how it stands mechanically.

I feel the need to strip my "riding" trikes down about every 3 years just to freshen it up and examine everything. Generally, I build the whole trike and then toss in a crate motor with mods. So, if you take care of a crate or freshly built motor, nothing will be lost. And plan on MANY years of time before it needs anything! Maybe tires, chain and sprockets, general maintenance and greasing it all up. Stay out of mud and water, it's not so easy to "just fix it"; Many trikes esp. the shaft drives don't get enough attention until the rear end is all junk and many crucial parts to rebuild something are discontinued......

The only ones that bug me are the ones that do a whole restoration and in weeks, it is up for sale. Then it's there loss and your good fortune!! :D

Lee atc
02-13-2014, 07:00 PM
i never sell machines ,just extra parts now and again. i have a horrible tendancy to hord threewheelers lol......

Lee atc
03-19-2015, 08:27 PM
finally put in alittle work, thought id show some of the progress. 212618212619212620212621

Buck Snort
03-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Looks great! Makes me want to get going on mine. We are in the middle of getting ready to sell our house, so my time and mostly money seems to be getting used up. But when the house sells I will be TELLING the wife it is 350X quality time. ( yeah right lol).

oscarmayer
03-20-2015, 12:00 PM
i only got 1 thing to say...

:TrikesOwn

!!!!!