PDA

View Full Version : 85 250r clutch question

Auto_Demon
02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
I was putting back together the bottom end on my R and when I tightened down the center clutch nut, the inside plate that holds the clutch plates doesnt spin freely in the clutch basket without the plates installed, is this supposed to do this? From the last time I did this that never happened but i have everything installed correctly.

El Camexican
02-06-2014, 08:01 PM
You lost me. There is basket (big outer part that the friction plates with the exterior tabs go into) This basket has a large ring gear that mates to a smaller gear on the end of the crankshaft. The basket only turns if the crankshaft is turning.

The smaller drum with the grooves in it is called a hub and the steel plates with the inner fingers fit on it. If your clutch plates are installed and the springs too, then it will only turn with the larger hub unless the clutch lever is pulled in, but even then you won’t be able to move it much by hand. If there are NO PLATES installed then the hub should turn freely, but only if your transmission is in neutral. If you are in gear then you would have to turn the transmission and the rear axel to move it.

If you are in neutral and there are no plates installed and you still can’t rotate it then something isn’t right. You may be missing a washer/spacer, or have something else out of whack. If that is the case take it apart and start again using common sense to check how each part works with the others.