PDA

View Full Version : Wont start unless pulled behind truck?

hawaiirider
02-04-2014, 08:07 PM
i have a 83 200e with a highly built motor, it has great spark if you pull it extremely fast, if you pullstart it normal it has no spark and the electric starter will not turn the engine over quick enough to spark either.
is this the stator or flywheel worn out?
i found new source coils but no new flywheels?
:wondering

lokisbuddy
02-04-2014, 08:23 PM
I would check stator. how is compression?

Dirtcrasher
02-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Thats a usual sign of low compression; However, many things could cause that same symptom.....

hawaiirider
02-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Compression is insane, 12.5 to 1 will rip the pull handle out of your hand if you dont use the decomp. lever
Its the spark thats the problem the motor is brand new build

lokisbuddy
02-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Check the connections on all your witres. also chech for corrosion. check your plug wire.

Liquid-Darkness
02-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Maybe try a new spark plug? Lol that would be cool if thats all it was..

Dirtcrasher
02-05-2014, 03:43 AM
Take off the airbox lid......

DohcBikes
02-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Did you TEST the coils with a meter?

hawaiirider
02-05-2014, 10:45 AM
new plug, new harness, new cdi, new motor all around. the only used thing on the motor is the stator and flywheel. if i pullstart it normal pull with plug out it has no spark - if i pull it super fast it has great spark? i dont get it, a guy at the bike shop said my stator is probably week and only produces a spark when i pull it over a certain rpm?

DohcBikes
02-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Did you TEST the stator with a meter?

DohcBikes
02-05-2014, 11:02 AM
New electrical components also regularly fail. Testing them is the only way to know for sure.

barnett468
02-05-2014, 02:12 PM
i have a 83 200e with a highly built motor, it has great spark if you pull it extremely fast, if you pullstart it normal it has no spark and the electric starter will not turn the engine over quick enough to spark either.
is this the stator or flywheel worn out?
i found new source coils but no new flywheels?

a guy at the bike shop said my stator is probably week and only produces a spark when i pull it over a certain rpm?

Did it ever start properly since you have owned it?

how does it run once it is running?

does it idle ok?

it should not idle from what you are saying.

I would do the following.

try new spark plug and clean all connections and test coils per manual as suggested.

the stator has two wires going to 1 plug, this is the electrical charging circuit and may have no affect on how it runs.

it has another brown or black wire.

pull the brown or black wire.

connect a volt meter that has a memory that retains peak voltages.

remove the spark plug.

kick it over fast but carefully.

look at the voltage, if it reads 35 volts it is low but should still have spark at idle, 45 or more is very good.

if it is below 35 volts, your stator ign coil might be bad. ohm test it per the manual as mentioned.

if it ohms correctly per the manual, your flywheel might have lost most of its magnetism. although they can loose some, losing enough so the coil produces little to no spark is unheard of.

try a new flywheel or simply start changing other parts like ignition spark coil then cdi.

unfortunately new parts do not guarantee anything these days. many are worse than the origs even if they are oem. the NOS parts work but are rare and very pricey. try cmsnl.com if you need any, they stock many of them.

Chinese cdi's can be had on ebay for less than $5.00 and they apparantly work. yes only five smackaroos. don't know how they do it. buy a spare if you need one.

kbolnly and others know how to wire them plus there are a few threads you might find using the search engine function.

just type in "cdi" and it should pull up hundreds of threads regarding HONDA [not Kawi, lol] cdi's. yes a kawi kxt might occasionally hurl the magnets, but if it does, it is obvious and therefore easy to diagnose, lool.

oscarmayer
02-05-2014, 05:08 PM
you seem to be ignoring the fact several on here have asked about you testing the stator. have you? if not then that should be your very next move. what is your plug gap? if it is too big or too small it can cause issues. for 12:1 you need to have it at like 22-24 thousandths

hawaiirider
02-05-2014, 07:16 PM
thanks for the input! i will test the stator asap i do not have a voltmeter or ohmmeter but will try to borrow one
the guy at the shop here is a electrical genius, hes convinced its the stator or flywheel lost magnetism, i cannot find a new flywheel. the rest of the electrical system is brand new including the cdi and ign coil

DasUberKraut
02-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Apparently barnett is back to long winded, marathon posts. Sheesh.

There's one other thing you could check... You said you just rebuilt the engine. Did you hook all the wires back up properly?

barnett468
02-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Apparently barnett is back to long winded, marathon posts. Sheesh.

"Howdy" hawaiirider;

It appears that instead of using the sites "Ignore" feature, one person here wanted to point out that they apparently do not like the length of some of my posts for some reason, and has decided that I have posted too much information and asked too many questions here that are pertinent to your problem for his liking instead of simply putting me on his ignore list. Perhaps he simply does not know how to use this feature and might appreciate instructions on how to do so.

Since the VOLTAGE information I posted is NOT in ANY Honda manual that I know of, it seemed to me that it might be helpful to you in diagnosing your problem since if you have at least 35 volts at the stator while kicking [not towing] it, the stator is likely NOT your problem irregardless of what the stator coil ohms at or whether the flywheel only has enough magnetism to pick up a paper clip..

Just because I happen to know this, and from what I have seen, only a few others here do, I thought I would post that info in case no one else did.

I sincerely apologize for trying to be helpful.

PS - I guess I should also apologize for trying to help you last time with your jetting and possible crank seal leak on your 250R by posting the leak down test video and what parts to buy to build a leak down tester fairly inexpensively.

hawaiirider
02-05-2014, 08:48 PM
"Howdy" hawaiirider;

It appears that instead of using the sites "Ignore" feature, one person here wanted to point out that they apparently do not like the length of some of my posts for some reason, and has decided that I have posted too much information and asked too many questions here that are pertinent to your problem for his liking instead of simply putting me on his ignore list. Perhaps he simply does not know how to use this feature and might appreciate instructions on how to do so.

Since the VOLTAGE information I posted is NOT in ANY Honda manual that I know of, it seemed to me that it might be helpful to you in diagnosing your problem since if you have at least 35 volts at the stator while kicking [not towing] it, the stator is likely NOT your problem irregardless of what the stator coil ohms at or whether the flywheel only has enough magnetism to pick up a paper clip..

Just because I happen to know this, and from what I have seen, only a few others here do, I thought I would post that info in case no one else did.

I sincerely apologize for trying to be helpful.

PS - I guess I should also apologize for trying to help you last time with your jetting and possible crank seal leak on your 250R by posting the leak down test video and what parts to buy to build a leak down tester fairly inexpensively.

:lol: yall crack me up, i appreciate the detailed help because without your advice - id be lost! - so thanks and hopefully i will get this bike to run and be posting pics instead of questions!!

DohcBikes
02-05-2014, 08:52 PM
I think sometimes a long post that addresses a lot of issues is fine. It gives the o.p. a lot to look at and report back on, and there doesn't have to be so much time spent going back and forth to the computer.

A voltage test is a more reliable source of information on a stator than a resistance test, although for the sake of being thorough, I would do both.

One way to show people that you don't mind reading a lot of technical information is to thank them for the post.

barnett468
02-05-2014, 10:14 PM
:lol: yall crack me up, I see I by your reply that I must apologize again. My comments were in no way intended to be humorous and make people laugh because the use of levity is not only against forum rules, it has been known to cause serious injury or even death to those whom might choke on food they might be eating while laughing uncontrollably after reading something the perceived as being “funny”.

I also apologize to those that think my comment above has an in sufficient amount of periods in it because I am running low on them, and therefore must use them sparingly, and now I see that it looks like my commas are next to go.

If you determine that low flywheel magnetism is the cause of your problem [which I doubt], and you cannot find another one, you can send yours out to be remagnetized at one of the sites listed below.

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details/Flywheel-Re-Magnetizing/4045

http://www.google.com/search?q=magnetizing+a+flywheel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Used parts can also be found on Ebay and a big motorcycle salvge yard http://grimcyclesalvage.com/

barnett468
02-05-2014, 10:26 PM
POST CORRECTION

"I see I by your reply" to "I see by your reply"

"in sufficient" to "insufficient"

I have no edit button.

hawaiirider
02-06-2014, 10:38 AM
I see I by your reply that I must apologize again. My comments were in no way intended to be humorous and make people laugh because the use of levity is not only against forum rules, it has been known to cause serious injury or even death to those whom might choke on food they might be eating while laughing uncontrollably after reading something the perceived as being “funny”.

I also apologize to those that think my comment above has an in sufficient amount of periods in it because I am running low on them, and therefore must use them sparingly, and now I see that it looks like my commas are next to go.

If you determine that low flywheel magnetism is the cause of your problem [which I doubt], and you cannot find another one, you can send yours out to be remagnetized at one of the sites listed below.

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details/Flywheel-Re-Magnetizing/4045

http://www.google.com/search?q=magnetizing+a+flywheel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Used parts can also be found on Ebay and a big motorcycle salvge yard http://grimcyclesalvage.com/

thanks for the links, i borrowed a ohm/volt meter and will test it out after work today, oh and dont worry about the long post issue, theres always going to be someone who complains even if you handed them a million dollars:lol:

oscarmayer
02-06-2014, 03:47 PM
i tend to agree with him. I think it is likely your stator. flywheel loosing magnetism? not very likely. Source out a new stator set and try that.

Mr. Clean
02-06-2014, 07:51 PM
I think you need to find this guy to pull the pull starter.....problem solved :welcome:

CRAZY70MAN
02-06-2014, 08:05 PM
I think you need to find this guy to pull the pull starter.....problem solved :welcome:

I usually do not get in on thread hijacking but that ^^^ right there had me lmao:lol::lol:.......oh my, my guts hurt from that laugh:lol: Sorry....

hawaiirider
02-06-2014, 08:56 PM

:lol::lol::lol:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JustEnough
02-06-2014, 09:17 PM
When I need to spin an engine fast to get it started, it is usually time for a valve adjustment.

Weak spark at low speed is sometimes from a rusty flywheel or stator, or corrosion on the wire connections (bullet connectors).

Start with the easy stuff, like a new plug.

honda200x1987
02-06-2014, 09:51 PM
I totally agree, rusty stator and flywheel
When I need to spin an engine fast to get it started, it is usually time for a valve adjustment.

Weak spark at low speed is sometimes from a rusty flywheel or stator, or corrosion on the wire connections (bullet connectors).

Start with the easy stuff, like a new plug.

hawaiirider
02-18-2014, 07:43 PM
finally got my parts in today!! new stator and flywheel, can i just use a 14 x 1.5 metric bolt to pull the flywheel?
also i picked up a new spark advancer as well up by the camshaft, is there a set spot for bolting it or just center the black box right in the middle?

big specht
02-18-2014, 11:20 PM
All you need was a new primary coil. that was a common problem the last one I put on was like 18 dollars but that was like 20 years ago

barnett468
02-18-2014, 11:39 PM
finally got my parts in today!! new stator and flywheel, can i just use a 14 x 1.5 metric bolt to pull the flywheel?NO, YOU NEED THE SPECIAL TOOL BELOW.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-82-87-Honda-ATC-200M-200S-ATC200-Flywheel-Puller-/220735295415?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80% 2F220735295415_W0QQfviZ1&nma=true&si=zgKfTh7gTos4oct9iLn1YLJBfDQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_3183wt_1167

also i picked up a new spark advancer as well up by the camshaft, is there a set spot for bolting it or just center the black box right in the middle?If it is adjustable, I might start in the middle then mark the F on the flywheel with white out, pull the spark plug, connect the timing lite in a dimly lit area and turn it over to see where it is at. Once it is set properly it will hopefully start right up.

hawaiirider
02-19-2014, 11:37 AM
i saw that tool, it looks like a bolt that cost 1.50 at napa whats the difference? im pulling a junk flywheel so im not too concerned with it being ok once removed

ezmoney1979
02-19-2014, 12:27 PM
You don't need the special "tool". Watch what info you take from Barnett8675309.