PDA

View Full Version : 85 big red ignition lettering-touch up

OKSTATE#1
01-16-2014, 01:41 AM
I have another nice Big Red ignition dash I was wanting to replace my current one with, but the white lettering isn't as nice as my current one. Anyone ever touched up that white lettering? I had tried it once with a white paint pen but it wasn't fine enough, and yes the simple answer is to get a finer pen but I just thought there might be some one that has done something that worked really well and didn't end up with the paint spilled out all over the raised lettering and looking sloppy....:wondering

DohcBikes
01-16-2014, 02:43 AM
I use a toothpick and nail polish.

kb0nly
01-16-2014, 02:48 AM
Piece of paper and white spray paint... Thats how i did...

No seriously... Take a piece of ordinary paper and spray a light coat of white spray paint on it, an area big enough to cover the raised lettering, and use it like a transfer sheet with a rubber roller. Lay it over the raised lettering and lightly roll over it with the rubber roller then peel the paper off.

The trick is to have a very light amount of paint, just enough to do that job but not enough to run and go down the sides of the raised letters. After it dries you touch up any small spots with a q-tip and some acetone, yes its painstaking... Then i give it a quick coat of clear to make it last a while. Sounds weird but it works!

OKSTATE#1
01-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Cool! I will try that this evening I think.

I have just about finished up touching up my 85 BR. There's pics of it my profile. To date I have added a NOS speedo with NOS mounting kit (came with all the instructions, I ditched the temporary set up I had which wasn't bad), the front tool box, and headlight protector. In the process of replacing all the stickers that have little nicks or scratches. At some point, I am going to get brave and try to get as many of the scratches out of the plastic as I can. But I'm waiting, my plastic is all intact and fairly clean.

I have spent a few nights with q tips and small pieces of cloth and such detailing everything lol. My ultimate goal is to have what appears to be a time machine really. I almost went nuts the other night and bought the black fender trim pieces that have been eBay for 6 months....but at 600 bucks that's still just a little too insane for me at this point. I have bought up just about every NOS or as close to new rubber as I can, and have bought two extra sets of original tires and wheels. I would never get what I have spent on this thing, but I could care less....doubt I would ever sell. It's been a lot of fun doing all this and I have enjoyed the rides i take. Never thought I would be this nutty over an old three wheeler