PDA

View Full Version : Ricks motorsports hot shot cdi box? no longer made?

hawaiirider
01-13-2014, 09:01 PM
my cdi needs replaced on my 83 big red.
was going to order this but its no longer made?
any info?
heres the link: https://www.denniskirk.com/ricks-motorsport-electrics/oem-style-cdi-box.p202145.prd/202145.sku#ratings

muthey
01-13-2014, 10:28 PM
they make the cheap chinese replacements that you can use now, there is someone on here that has done it many a time and knows all the details his name just eludes me right now

kb0nly
01-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Would that be me??

For less than $10 you can buy a cheap chinese made aftermarket CDI off eBay, otherwise they can be had for a bit more from www.dratv.com as well.

hawaiirider
01-14-2014, 10:43 AM
i did buy a cheapo one, i just thought the ricks looked american quality and it had altered ignition curve for advanced timing and increased redline, shame its not made anymore:(

muthey
01-14-2014, 08:17 PM
yes kb0nly you are the member I was thinking of lol, I knew you would see this post and respond.

kb0nly
01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
i did buy a cheapo one, i just thought the ricks looked american quality and it had altered ignition curve for advanced timing and increased redline, shame its not made anymore:(

The problem is the 200 is a mechanical advance in the pulse gen, if you add a CDI that messes with the timing as well then they run like crap. Tried it... I tested a few on eBay that were supposed to be performance CDI's, adjustable advance, no rev limit, etc. They just didn't run right, but the $5 cheapies work great. Go figure... LOL

And i kinda figure it was me that was being referred to. That thread on here has recently climbed back up with new posts as well, the CDI problems just keep popping up!

tri again
01-15-2014, 05:38 PM
The problem is the 200 is a mechanical advance in the pulse gen, if you add a CDI that messes with the timing as well then they run like crap. Tried it... I tested a few on eBay that were supposed to be performance CDI's, adjustable advance, no rev limit, etc. They just didn't run right, but the $5 cheapies work great. Go figure... LOL

And i kinda figure it was me that was being referred to. That thread on here has recently climbed back up with new posts as well, the CDI problems just keep popping up!

I printed out your 'how to', including the connector replacements.
Hope I don't need one anytime soon but I'll tell ya, if you threw together a kit for the 250 es/sx models, I'd be happy to buy a few just to help me sleep better.

kb0nly
01-16-2014, 03:12 AM
LOL... If i ever had the time to do so its possible! I spend enough time fixing stuff as is these days. Got a 200M coming for top end work and gas tank cleanup and carb rebuild this weekend. I have more or less become the trike guy around here now.