PDA

View Full Version : 250es coil replacement. oem or a china special??

90nut
01-12-2014, 11:04 PM
I have been having some electrical issues with my 85 big red and after ohming out all componets i have diagnosed it as having a wonky ignition coil. my question is, is anyone running a china type coil? found them on e-bay for about 15$. anyone have any experience with them? times are tough out there and i despise wasting money. thanks

MojaveRider
01-12-2014, 11:11 PM
I have an OEM coil for an 85 250SX that came off a running machine, should fit the Big Red.

90nut
01-12-2014, 11:16 PM
id give it a wirl! was going to try one off my trx300 but its to hard to remove.

tri again
01-13-2014, 03:41 AM
The stuff I get on ebay usually has a no nonsense return policy.
They NEED good feedback to stay in biz.
What readings did you get one your old coil?

Sure be nice to see if a known working unit fixes the problem.

90nut
01-13-2014, 09:57 AM
my coil ohmed out at about haf of what should be at the plug wire. it was very close to specs when tested at the terminals however. also my only concern with the china coil were that of how long they will last. buying one of those is probably less of a gamble than using 25yr old parts tho.

DohcBikes
01-13-2014, 10:06 AM
my coil ohmed out at about haf of what should be at the plug wire. prove it lol! Need to see some numbers here...
I have an extra known good Honda ignition coil that I would send you for free, pm me if you want it.

tri again
01-13-2014, 02:19 PM
my coil ohmed out at about haf of what should be at the plug wire. it was very close to specs when tested at the terminals however. also my only concern with the china coil were that of how long they will last. buying one of those is probably less of a gamble than using 25yr old parts tho.
VERY common for the last bit of coil wire to turn green and crusty.
I've saved many headaches by cutting the last little bit of wire, coil wire, so the spark plug cap has some fresh copper to bite into.

90nut
02-04-2014, 11:16 AM
sorry for my ultra delayd resonse time but i was unable to mess with the BR until the other night. Anyhow, got china coil and installed it, checked for spark looked good so i put the plug in and she fired after acouple kicks! then she dies, checked for spark and had nothing! didnt have my multimeter handy to check anything out tho. sooooo i let it sit for a few days, working in the shop yesterday so i decide to fiddle with it, kicked her over and she came to life. had it out working and messing around for a cple hrs yesterday without a lick of trouble! m still kind of at a loss on what was going on but she is up and running so im happy.