PDA

View Full Version : Tempature of 250es motor?

kebby28
01-11-2014, 09:05 PM
I am having overheating issues with my 85 250es after rebuilding the carb. I have a white spark plug and cant touch the oil dip stick with bare hands after riding for 10-15 min. My buddy lent me his Blue Point Tempature Lazer Gun. I was wondering if anyone knows what these motors should run at temperture wise. Thanks!

MotorCity
01-12-2014, 01:17 AM
sounds like its running lean thats scary you can smoke your motor if its too lean.

tri again
01-12-2014, 02:13 AM
Headpipe glowing?
They say usually lean condition.
or timing could be off but not sure how or even if they are adjustable.
Pretty sure you can check timing with a light but last time I tried I got
oil sprayed like a glazed donut.

flyingw did the quintessential carb writeup for sx / es engines.
Search key should pull it up.
Yeah, I work mine hard dragging stuff at low speed and yes it gets hot after 1/2 hr or so but not like the gas in the tank is boiling.
I think they wanna run like any other engine. ..just around boiling temp of water, say 212*F?

kebby28
01-12-2014, 07:21 AM
flyingw did the quintessential carb writeup for sx / es engines.
Search key should pull it up.
Yeah, I work mine hard dragging stuff at low speed and yes it gets hot after 1/2 hr or so but not like the gas in the tank is boiling.
I think they wanna run like any other engine. ..just around boiling temp of water, say 212*F?

I've been in touch with him. I'm doing a carb swap this morning to see if it fixes it.

kebby28
01-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Carb swap seem to fix it. The temperature gun read the side case and oil cap at 110 degrees after running it pretty hard for 20 minutes. When i ran it the day before it was so hot I couldn't even touch the oil cap.

Flyingw
01-13-2014, 10:42 PM
I tossed one carb because the motor was running real lean. I tore it down 4x and no matter what I did didn't seem to fix the problem so it got stripped for parts and tossed the body. There was something clogged up inside and whatever it was wouldn't come out. It happens.