PDA

View Full Version : need help with 200x

wantinga3wheelerbad
01-02-2004, 05:04 AM
ok heres my problem i was riding my trike then loaded it up and the next day took it to my grandparents, went and started it and it started fine but had no power or accelaration so i bought a rebuilt carb thinking it was carb problems put it on still runs the same, and theres a clicking noise coming from the engine. and it always has 2 be choked, if i take the choke off it dies, and when i bought it it dident smoke at all and know it does quite a bit. so somewhere from when i loaded it 2 unloading it something went wrong so im looking for any input anyone may have

honda200sx
01-02-2004, 10:00 AM
try changing your spark plug

TRI-Zbrian
01-02-2004, 10:50 AM
sounds like soemthing has WENT bad in the top end ie worn out i mean if it is all of a sudden smoking and stuff like that. i had that happen on a 200s i owned way back one day it was good the next day no power and its smoked real bad and had less compression. sounds like top end rebuild time to me

BigRedRunner
01-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Set your valves and cam chain tension. Where in Iowa are you at?

wantinga3wheelerbad
01-03-2004, 12:43 AM
knoxville

weaseljeep
01-12-2004, 04:07 AM
i had basically the same problem on my 85 200x . got into the motor and found that the previous owner had set the valves too tight and it had been wearing on the cam until it flattened the lobes. mine was also losing compression at that time. I replaced everything in mine at that time also.

samster143
01-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Are the valves adjusted correctly? Is it getting oil up top? How much compression do you have? I would pull the plug, carb, and exhaust off and give a real thorough visual inspection...rotate engine, listen, see for correct movement of internal parts. Can you find a problem?

plkmonster2
01-14-2004, 09:49 PM
do not! DO NOT!! allow the engine to have no clearance in the tappets. this will cause the valve to burn holes in them selves. you will notice a popping sound from the exhaust, or you may hear hissing through the carb when it is turned over. the valves can't close fully, and they get too hot, and that constant pressure will burn holes in the valves. it aint pretty to see, and it isn't a cheap thing to correct once it has gone too far.