PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me with my tecate?

monoxide
01-01-2004, 10:30 PM
i got to split the base on my tecate to replace the gasket (hopfully the block isnt cracked) will i need to replace the crank seals or anything besides the top+bottom end gaskets and piston rings?

J.D.
01-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Why do you have to split the base to replace a gasket? What gasket are you trying to replace? We'll need more info before we can tell you what to do.

TeCaTe_MaN
01-02-2004, 05:49 AM
my friend's friend just re-built his Tecate engine and that thing was a batch to get apart...while you have it open i would go ahead and replace the crank seals and all the gaskets...while it is open you might as wall re-build the engine cus your not gonna wanna do it again any time soon

TRI-Zbrian
01-02-2004, 10:52 AM
i agree replace those crank seals while you are in there and what ever else you can replace while you have it opened up.

JMiller
01-02-2004, 11:33 AM
I just got my 87 Tecate put back together. I split the cases and replaced the crank bearings and crank seals, all other seals and a few other bearings. As far as the case gasket goes, is there isnt one. I used some white ThreeBond sealant to seal the center cases. I'd suggest that you replace the crank seals, most of the other seals (thier cheap), and check your crank bearings. Also, you will probably need a case splitter to split the cases, I know that mine was a b***h to split. I was able to make one with some 1/4" steel and metric allthread. You can email me with any questions you have, I'd be glad to help if I can. I'd post some pics of my rebuild, but my computer crashed and I lost all my pics. :(

monoxide
01-02-2004, 07:09 PM
i need to replace the center base gasket. right now it has the white stuff inplace of an actual gasket. the crank seals are basically brand new. its leaking oil really bad(when its not running even) could it be because its sat for a while since it was last rebuilt(top and bottom end)?

Jeb
01-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Like JMiller said, Tecate's don't have a "center base gasket". I assume your meaning a gasket between the center cases. If your splitting it to replace that, you're splitting it for nothing.

monoxide
01-02-2004, 07:25 PM
If your splitting it to replace that, you're splitting it for nothing.

what do you mean? oil is seeping pretty bad from the center of the cases.

mbg75
01-02-2004, 07:54 PM
there is no center gasket used. the cases are machined to fit together. the white stuff is a semi-drying sealer. yamabond-4 is what most people use. if it's leaking then you probably have to split the cases and have the suface machined at a machine shop. probably leaking because someone pryed the cases apart at one point. hope this helps you out.

Jeb
01-02-2004, 11:22 PM
If oil is seeping badly from the seem in between the center cases, then like mbg75 said your sealing surfaces are probably marred. probably because some "joker" split the cases with a hammer and screwdriver or a chisel. Or maybe the center case bolts have loosened up or one of the cases got warped on installation due to improper torqueing???? Could be anything but I don't know where you'd find a gasket unless you make one.

did you just get this KXT? did someone rebuild the motor recently?

TeCaTe_MaN
01-03-2004, 04:26 AM
i would split the cases, (get it over with) go in there and replace anything that even looks like it might go out in the next year or so (bearings, seals, all that junk) it will be worth your while, i haveto do all of this really soon i have a feeling that i wont be riding much for a while...gotta strip my engine to replace left crank seal (spraying oil on my stator) as for the middle seam...spread some gasket sealant on it, nice and thick and make sure you drain the oil fairly soon after you start running it again cus the gasket sealant, althou plyable and soft, is still abrasive in a small way to your gears and bearings and stuff, so drain your oil every now and then for a few months or untill you stop seeing gasket sealant in your oil (it will break off) cus when you put the cases together it will ooze into the inside just as much as it will on the outside...but instead of milling it down, you could do that, it will last a long, long time and it is cheap, and mine too drips a little oil out of the middle seam on the bottom, not drops but just a thin film of oil, that collects dirt and becomes like a clay/tar buildup, so im going to haveto do this too...i wouldnt put a gasket in it unless it is really thin, dont want to upset the balance of anything (if it would, but better safe than sorry and tearing it down again to replace something bigger), sorry for the book but i thought this might help you ;)

monoxide
01-03-2004, 03:54 PM
thanks guys, all in info is helping. yes Jeb, i just bought it a while ago, and rode it like 3-4 times. it was rebuild about a year ago, but was only ridin once in a while.