PDA

View Full Version : issues removing front axle

captain2207
12-31-2013, 04:56 PM
While have past couple days off,I decided to paint my rims,they were pretty bad looking.I get to front last night,got tite off forks with axle still in time.this will not come out.brake pad cover will not seperate from drum/axle.anyone run into this?and any suggestions to remove it,I also want to do a once over on front brakes while apart.thanks in advance

tri again
12-31-2013, 06:35 PM
so? you got the axle out from the forks with the wheel tire and hub as one big hunk?
Axle won't come out?
Not sure what machine it is yet but most seem to have a pipe type sleeve or spacers around the axle bolt that can get really stuck to the bolt.
You're lucky you got it off the machine in the first place.
Heat may ruin some axle bearing seals, if it has any. Liq wrench is near the top of the list for good penetrants. Acetone and atf are supposedly the best.
and I heard from an old time farmer aircraft builder that oil of wintergreen actually shrinks rust particles whereas some oils expand rust particles.
He may also have said that just to shut me up and send me on an extended wild goose chase.

Thorpe
12-31-2013, 06:52 PM
If you cant get te axle out of the fork, use an AIR IMPACT... The rattling will work it out...

tri again
12-31-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm just worried it may be an sx / es type where the axle bolt freezes inside the aluminum casting on the front fork. I have a few of those that were busted/shattered ruining the fork.
Can't really decipher what he actually accomplished.

"got tite off forks with axle still in time. this will not come out"

rg97
12-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Air impact and Heat and Beat always worked for me no matter what it is

captain2207
12-31-2013, 10:28 PM
I have a 200s.yes tire and all parts of drum brakes came out as one unit.I was 99% positive there were no hidden bolt/clip somewhere but I finally got it out.used pb blaster and some oil.the axle was literally welded to brake drum cover with 30 year old rust and old dried up greese and dirt.if I turned the axle the whole drum cover would move,as I moved axle.all clean and free now.

barnett468
01-01-2014, 12:11 AM
I have a 200s.yes tire and all parts of drum brakes came out as one unit. I finally got it out.used pb blaster and some oil.the axle was literally welded to brake drum cover with 30 year old rust and old dried up greese and dirt.if I turned the axle the whole drum cover would move,as I moved axle.all clean and free now.
You might consider putting a thin layer of wheel bearing or Bel Ray grease on the axle and threads and inside the brake drum hole for reassembly. Also on the brake cam where it goes through the backing plate.

Dirtcrasher
01-01-2014, 02:26 AM
CRC has a product called "Freeze-Off" and it has even taken down Aerokroil which kills PB blaster.

This stuff freezes the parts up shrinking and allowing for it's penetrate/rust/seize break up process to work.

I have seen it work and I never saw it at the big diesel shop I get my backhoe filters from but they did have it. I'm unsure how new/old it is.

Don't touch it or it will be like that XMAS movie when the kid puts his tongue on the freezing light pole and gets stuck to it :lol:

fabiodriven
01-01-2014, 02:51 AM
As Steve said, Freeze Off is the second coming of Christ. My personal experience with this product has been nothing short of astounding. It truly trumps heating and beating or Kroil any day of the week, and yes I just said that. I used to specialize in exhaust manifolds and I know every trick in the book as far as hardware that doesn't want to come out. In fact, I might propose to Freeze Off tomorrow. I'm not shittin.

Scootertrash
01-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Looks like I have another weapon to add to my arsenal.....

3wheelrider
01-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Usually -I've found that its the inner race of the bearing that gets seized in place to the axle shaft.-good luck..

tri again
01-01-2014, 09:33 AM
As Steve said, Freeze Off is the second coming of Christ. My personal experience with this product has been nothing short of astounding. It truly trumps heating and beating or Kroil any day of the week, and yes I just said that. I used to specialize in exhaust manifolds and I know every trick in the book as far as hardware that doesn't want to come out. In fact, I might propose to Freeze Off tomorrow. I'm not shittin.

I've been using that freezing wart remover to loosen press in carb jets for years.
Shoulda thought bigger and 'invented' it for bigger automotive applications.

Just another missed chance. oh well, glad someone thought of it.

captain2207
01-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Got it back together,wheel bearing grease on axle,brake shoe cam.works almost as good as new.I'm gonna have to get some freeze off.thanks all.