PDA

View Full Version : 200S Chain Guard

mywifeknowseverything
01-01-2004, 08:10 PM
I am starting to tear into the 200S and try and make everything right...I pulled off the rear plastic(which was zip tied together and pretty much just fell apart) and was looking at the chain guard and noticed that the bottom of it is eaten up. Im guessing because of the chain that is way loose!!!!Any way I had to stop as I ran into the snap ring in front of the rear sprocket and I cant find my pliers....Kids!!!!..I guess what I am asking is is that cover worth the trouble replacing or can I just delete it from the bike????Any other tips about this bike would be welcomed..
Hope everyone had a safe holiday...
Craig
P.s If picks are wanted send me your email....I am sure everyone is aware of the problem here...I dont want to cause another melt down..
Also, where do I send my donation????

jakerush
01-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Hey craig

I have a '85 200s that I bought from a friend who had taken the sprocket AND chain cover off of the bike and replaced his chain with 0-ring chain. He was of the school of thought that if anything dust, dirt, mud or otherwise go caught up in you chain, then those covers basically just held it in there. I like the set-up so I've kept it that way.

The only other "tip" I have is that he also put a Goki electric start kit on it. I know that isn't really exclusive to the 200s but I love having that thing on there.

that's my 2 cents, if it's worth that much.

Jake

mywifeknowseverything
01-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks Jake,,I guess it is really a personal preference and I tend to agree with your friend...I think I just might leave it off...I need a new set of rear wheels and tires also...Any ideas on that??? maybe the front as well...I also notice there is something that looks like a automatic Compresion release on the right side of the bike that seems to go nowhere..Any thing on that would be great as I have no idea what the hell that is...
Thanks,
Craig

jeswinehart
01-01-2004, 09:17 PM
i now the veiw the chain gaurd as a safety thing that should be in place at all times ( or fab something up to cover it ).
i never even realized the gaurd was missing from a 185-s honda sevral years ago untill i reached down to flip the choke lever down while in first gear going slow.
i now keep this bottle in the garage, up on the shelf in plain veiw as a reminder that safety comes first. those finger tips in the bottle of rum would still be on my left hand if i'd had a chain guard in place.

john

packhamstruck
01-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Hey man that really sucks about the fingers,
my trike now which is 5 in one, is a 200s motor and 185 frame and there is no chain guard at all, not even the back to it, the guy before took it off since it was all messed up from the chain, and it makes it look better without it, but for the saftey reasons and that rum bottol i might make somthin up

mywifeknowseverything
01-01-2004, 09:26 PM
You know ..... now that I think about it.... I just might keep that bugger on!!!! :shock:

soon2becomeaowner
01-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Well i leave my chain guard on. Trust me nothing much gets in to the chain. ("nothing much"hmm") It keeps out big chunks of mud sand ,etc.If you play near the ocean ( salt water) of just water, it keeps out water and prevents rust. So just look on ebay and replace the chain guard or you want your finger missing? ;)

TRI-Zbrian
01-01-2004, 09:55 PM
yeah i this one time i was out riding my old 84 200x and some how messed up on a jump and got ran over by my X and the chain cut me up pretty good on a side note sorry to see that happen to your finger tips man. my friends dad lost his finger tips on a trail groomer also looks painful. :twisted: