PDA

View Full Version : DG Pipe Mod

sweetip2000
12-23-2013, 03:17 PM
I am sure someone else has done this but maybe not. If so I wanted to tell you that I did a mod on a DG pipe that works pretty good. First off its too damn loud. So what I did was find a way to quiet the pipe down and gain more power.

I drilled 3 holes into the back of the steel baffle and installed one super trapp disc. The disc I used is an end cap. I drilled 10 small holes in the center of the end cap. Now the pipe is a little bit louder than a stock honda can but has the power of a supertrapp.

If anyone is handy there is a way to get the supertrapp discs mounted on there. Total cost 112 dollars for the DG slip on and a few dollars for one supertrapp end cap.

Its a reverse megaphone pipe so it does the same thing.

Now I can ride through the trails without being too loud.
It will still have a nice note to it but at least 50% more quiet.

Tons of back pressure.... excellent throttle response.

Running Mikuni closed air box with NOS 350X air filter.
Probably be even more responsive with a UNI.

Scootertrash
12-24-2013, 07:48 AM
What? No Pics?? :wondering;)

JustEnough
12-24-2013, 02:14 PM
I took a 8" length of electrical conduit and pinched one end shut then drilled about 40 1/8" holes in it then brazed it into a disc with a hole that just fit in the tube of the DG pipe. It was as quiet as stock and did not seem to have excessive back pressure. The brazing eventually broke loose likely because the pipe and disc were not thick enough for me to braze it strong enough. I am going to try the same design with thicker pipe and thicker disc and weld it. I then plan to sleeve the pipe with stainless mesh to make it a spark arrestor that can be cleaned.

If you know of a product that drops right in that pipe, that you can buy, I would like to hear about it. When I called DG to see if I could buy something from them, the guy literally laughed at me.

UPNATM
12-24-2013, 02:21 PM
What? No Pics?? :wondering;)

X2! Let's see it!

sweetip2000
12-28-2013, 08:28 PM
I took some pics, also a link to a video so you can hear it

You wont get any noise complaints trail riding with it set up like this and you will get more power. You can always remove the cap if you want to get loud.

I had both supertrapp and now this DG set up and they are about the same
performance if you keep the cap on. For 120 bucks its worth it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v1hvqhqwb9j4yja/5FjV-JC1qu

sweetip2000
12-28-2013, 08:51 PM
2 more pics. 45 degrees today. Heat wave.

oscarmayer
12-30-2013, 11:08 PM
looks good.

Dirtcrasher
12-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Andy, whats up!

The less number of discs, the less noise and affects your power. The DG stock A/M pipe is terribly loud!

Is that the same trike I did all the work on in 48 hours??

I run 13 discs and a big main jet; That's where the power is for me.

Take the A/B lid off and add 15 discs and have a top end screamer!!

Glad your still in the game.

Happy New Year Andy.................

sweetip2000
12-31-2013, 08:20 PM
I wish this was the 48 hour pit bike you rebuilt but its not. However I am very happy with it and hanging on to this one. This pipe was 112 bucks and is a reverse megaphone RCM steel slip on. I am using the stock head pipe.
Louder than cobra. Its just right the way its set up now. The mikuni carb really does help wake it up too. 15 discs Steve ?
Where do you have enough room to get through the 6 gears ?
The 350X has more gears than my road star warrior 1700. We gotta get you up and running on a street bike real soon. Promise me no wheelies..... happy new year steve
"the fastest wrench hands on the east coast".

Dirtcrasher
01-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Same to you Andy.

No street bikes for me; I am smart enough to know one will kill me, then you can all call me DEADCRASHER!!

We don't want that just yet :D

Lots to build and do, it is all coming together this year. Next build is a super trick custom ATC70 suspended!!

Then the FCR carbs on both the 200X and the 350RX; Porting as well.

DasUberKraut
01-07-2014, 06:38 PM
I am sure someone else has done this but maybe not. If so I wanted to tell you that I did a mod on a DG pipe that works pretty good. First off its too damn loud. So what I did was find a way to quiet the pipe down and gain more power.

I drilled 3 holes into the back of the steel baffle and installed one super trapp disc. The disc I used is an end cap. I drilled 10 small holes in the center of the end cap. Now the pipe is a little bit louder than a stock honda can but has the power of a supertrapp.

If anyone is handy there is a way to get the supertrapp discs mounted on there. Total cost 112 dollars for the DG slip on and a few dollars for one supertrapp end cap.

Its a reverse megaphone pipe so it does the same thing.

Now I can ride through the trails without being too loud.
It will still have a nice note to it but at least 50% more quiet.

Tons of back pressure.... excellent throttle response.

Running Mikuni closed air box with NOS 350X air filter.
Probably be even more responsive with a UNI.

I have an aluminum DG pipe I recently cleaned up and welded new mounting tabs onto. It's been bead blasted inside and out. Currently it's reassembled without any packing inside. Would I benefit from this setup after I rebuild my 82 ATC200 with Wiseco 10.25:1 piston and 200X cam? I assume it would wake up a stock ATC200 motor as well?

I don't know anything about Supertrapp pipes. I've looked on eBay a couple times but don't have a clue what I'm looking for? The DG 3.5" across the can. I can't seem to locate any 3.5" Supertrapp stuff? Can anyone point me in the right direction, please? Thank you. :beer