PDA

View Full Version : new build for me 84 250r

archman
12-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Time to build a r and some more trikes. Its been a while so what mods work well for a stock 250r for now with 2nd gear gone and how bad is replacing 2nd gear?

archman
12-10-2013, 02:14 PM
182181 trying upload pic from phone.

JasonB
12-10-2013, 04:00 PM
already a good looking R to start with. in for updates on the build!

barnett468
12-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Time to build a r and some more trikes. Its been a while so what mods work well for a stock 250r for now with 2nd gear gone and how bad is replacing 2nd gear?i depends on what your goal is. do yiu want a stock eng with slightly inoroved susp or a ported 250 or big bore kit. do yiu want to flat track it. heres a few.

port 250 cyl

install stock ot ported big bore kit

hogh poerf ex pipe.

remove the stock sinlencer and replace with non spark arrester type if you do not need it in your area.

increase csarb to 36 - 40 mm depending on other engine mods.

upgrade rear shock with gold valve or send to suspension 101 or similar for revalve.

buy 1 1/2 - 3" longer swing arm. anything longer than that is unnecessary imo unless you are doing professional hill climbing. the stock length is good for tight turns.

buy wider axle if you want to slide it a lot or use spacers so you can easily narrow it back to stock if you want.

short track steering mods.

stock or barnett clutch plates.

stiffer barnett clutch springs if a big bore kit and/or heavy porting is used.

archman
12-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Kinda wanting it to be little faster. First mod I plan to do is pipe and silencer. I want it to be kinda fast. I got a friend with a 350x and want to not worry about him passing me. 182190

barnett468
12-10-2013, 07:01 PM
i depends on what your goal is. do you want a stock eng with slightly inproved susp or a ported 250 or big bore kit. do you want to flat track it. heres a few.
Kinda wanting it to be little faster. First mod I plan to do is pipe and silencer. I want it to be kinda fast. I got a friend with a 350x and want to not worry about him passing me.Well, you might do it in stages because once you port it you can not go back. In general, the biggest thing porting does is raise the entire operating range of the engine. In other words, as an example, if it is 2000 - 5500 now, it might be around 2700 - 6200 after it is ported. Unless you ride at wot all the time you do not want to port it very much imo.

HERE'S JUST A FEW OPTIONS.

try it with just the pipe and proper jetting first

if you install a carb that is around 2 mm bigger it will incresae the mid and top a little and will loose some throttle response on the bottom.

if you install a carb that is 4 mm bigger with no porting, it will have extremely bad bottom end and not much more top end because it is too big for your set up.

you can also try boysen 2 stage reeds.

if you want a big increase after just running the pipe then go for a mid to high rpm port job, increase the carb size by 2 -4 mm and put around a 2 tooth larger rear sprocket or a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket on it. it will haul ass and destroy his x I guarantee you.

if you want big power AND big bottom end then put a big bore kit on it.

archman
12-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Cool man thanks. That info was very helpful. I may try pipe and 2 mm bigger carb and go from there.

Super350
12-11-2013, 02:05 PM
STEP 1!!! - GET RID OF THOSE HEINOUS REAR TIRES

unless your always in the mud with that thing, a set of 20's is a much better performance geared tire and still give enough comfort for woods riding opposed to say 18's

And then just more of what's been said.......upgraded carb, reeds and exhaust will really wake a motor up from stock

archman
12-12-2013, 10:23 AM
The tires are only ones I got that hold air for now lol. Only had bike for couple weeks.