PDA

View Full Version : Selvy's 250R Refresh

nstyle73
12-10-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm laid up for a bit, and have a lot of other things I should be doing, so I decided to waste my time here. I bought the bike from a member here that I'm sure will chime in. Its solid and runs quite well, actually its borderline hairy for a 250cc with a stock swingarm. Its sat for almost two years since I got it until a few weeks ago. I have ridden it about three hours is several segments to get a feel for what issues need to be addressed. Mainly, a leaky carb, slipping kickstarter, seeping head gasket, a broken chain guide mount and soft front brakes. I have decided to simplify and downsize my trike addiction and will be selling about half my bikes and keeping the ones that are somewhat unique or at least special to me. This one made the cut.

The pics are pretty much how I received it, with a different set of rear tires, and I put the 86 seat on to ride it around.

nstyle73
12-10-2013, 01:32 PM
I do plan to ride this so cosmetics will be a secondary priority, I'm not powdering the frame, or polishing things. I spend too much time working on stuff and not enough enjoying them, so things that are in poor condition will be refinished, probably powdered, but nothing too glitzy. I know the PO was looking to make this a short track bike replica, which I initially intended, but I have since found a better project for that. So, my inspiration is more along the lines of old school motocross. The bike has the lo-pro fenders which will need some attention, a lowering link, and a billet bearing carrier and I have a +2 westcoast as well as a +4 axle and some appropriate tires.

nstyle73
12-10-2013, 01:53 PM
I started by pulling the front and rear ends off as most of both are getting replaced. The 200x headlight will be in the classifieds soon, the fork boots are history, the front rim and tire are getting swapped out and I sent the damping rods as well as the rear shock to a special guy for some special attention.:naughty:

So the first thing for me to do was look at the carb........Disgusting. However, I believe it was worked over by Selvy as well based on the inlet side. I know the 250 kits could be gotten piece-meal, so not everyone had everything done, but I correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the intake bell significantly worked? I don't have a stock carb to compare it to.

poohbee1
12-10-2013, 02:19 PM
It looks reworked to me .That will be a nice project

JasonB
12-10-2013, 02:39 PM
nice bike! in for updates, already looks pretty well put together, im interested to see how the other mods you do will enhance the look of this bike!

nstyle73
12-10-2013, 02:43 PM
poohbee, I was hoping those shrouds I was calling you about would be going on this bike.

poohbee1
12-10-2013, 02:53 PM
I still got them whenever you come this way just give me a call .I should be around a lot more now that winter is here

Poco Loco
12-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Rob Selvy is working at BDT Motorsports in Rancho Cucamonga Ca. He may be able to shed some light on what done to your bike.

atc007
12-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Carb was def worked. NICE rubber !!

yaegerb
12-10-2013, 11:26 PM
I started by pulling the front and rear ends off as most of both are getting replaced. The 200x headlight will be in the classifieds soon, the fork boots are history, the front rim and tire are getting swapped out and I sent the damping rods as well as the rear shock to a special guy for some special attention.:naughty:

So the first thing for me to do was look at the carb........Disgusting. However, I believe it was worked over by Selvy as well based on the inlet side. I know the 250 kits could be gotten piece-meal, so not everyone had everything done, but I correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the intake bell significantly worked? I don't have a stock carb to compare it to.

Yep the carb has been gone through. That looks to me like a signature selvy job.

nstyle73
05-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Ok, so I may have been playing 'possum, as I had already talked to Rob about the bike when I bought it a couple years ago. When I talked to him he said he would help in anyway possible, but the engine is running with no pressing issues that would require a complete tear down so he ended up rebuilding the shock and modifying my damping rods. Pretty cool to have Selvy's suspension on a bike with the Selvy's kit, IMO. Anyway, moving, planting season and honey-dos derailed this until now. Not much, but I put the forks together this evening. NOS boots, reused the OEM clamps. Might have a roller by tomorrow night if I can get the swingarm swapped out.

bkm
05-18-2014, 12:57 AM
How cool is it to have Selvy almost 30 years later still working his magic on a bike he had a part in at the beginning. Great job, I love it.

nstyle73
06-12-2014, 10:09 PM
SO.....it has degenerated into a nearly bare frame. Anyone happen to have a liquid R frame that is junk that would be able to cut the upper chain roller mount off? I would swap frames, but this one is titled. While I have the engine out painting it and the swingarm off, I thought I might fix the roller mount and paint the frame. Just a simple refresh...........I hate myself sometimes :-)

manbearpig
06-13-2014, 12:05 AM
How cool is it to have Selvy almost 30 years later still working his magic on a bike he had a part in at the beginning. Great job, I love it.

I think its pretty neat. A few members on here that race with us in the CALVMX series have complete Selvy/BDT suspension setups. They really haul ass.

bkm
06-13-2014, 05:09 AM
I think its pretty neat. A few members on here that race with us in the CALVMX series have complete Selvy/BDT suspension setups. They really haul ass.

He's getting my rear shock, and a few other things once I hunt down the right parts.

userj8670
06-13-2014, 09:21 AM
That's a gorgeous piece of history there!

nstyle73
06-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks, its pretty cool that it is titled and the complete Selvy's kit, and not just a cylinder, or a pipe. Right now it is literally a pile.... of parts. Rob has been great to talk to and keep in touch with. My experience with him has been great. I have heard grumblings about BDT and I will say that dealing with Carlos has not been like dealing with Rob. But Carlos is more about running a business and Rob is more about building awesome engines and cool custom pieces. Anyway, just my experience.

nstyle73
07-12-2014, 08:42 PM
I have not been able to work on it recently, but I had to roll it out of the garage today so I put the rear axle and wheels on. I had to pull the engine due to a stuck swinger bolt. While it was out I fixed the kicker with some stock bushings and washer rather than the homemade one that was installed and sprayed the clutch cover. The rest of the engine was pretty fair and plenty nice enough for a rider when cleaned up.

Initially I was pretty disappointed at how tall it sat in the last picture shown. I dropped the bolt in the adjustable mounts from the top to the middle and gave it a better stance. Between the swinger and lowering link it can go from stock to in the weeds. The rims are junk and someone spray bombed the frame at one time as you can see by the over spray on the electrics, so since I don't have a donor frame to fix the upper chain roller mount yet, I sanded it, used a wire wheel on the rough places, Rustoleumed it and cleared it for now. The hubs may be a bit much, its 52" wide, but I think I may swap the small spacers to the outside to get back to 50 1/2"

nstyle73
03-19-2016, 11:48 PM
I realized that I never finished this thread up. Its been about a year and a half, the bike is complete, pure rider with no polish, runs like stink and seems to stay dirty. It did a little 300ft racing last summer and won its class, and a couple of free lance drag races, but rain prevented the King of the Hill races against the 1000cc quads and UTV's. It handily smoked a Brute Force, over and over, which I don't know if that is that great, but is has a date with a Renegade where it may meet its maker. I think the silencer needs repacked but it sounds ridiculously mean. Eventually it will probably go back to the 903's and there will be some white plastic in its future as I am keeping this one.

bkm
03-20-2016, 12:21 AM
I've got a fresh Selvy cylinder sitting on my shelf I've never used. One of these days I'll get around to installing it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

loganm
03-20-2016, 12:31 AM
That is what I like to see, no polish. Is the renegade a big bore? They are nast.

nstyle73
03-20-2016, 12:48 AM
The Renegade is stock, but I don't think the 250 will hang with it. Its just for fun between friends. CC for CC the Selvy's 250 is probably one of the quickest trikes I have ridden. Hopefully, I get back in riding shape and can provide some drag racing footage this summer.

nstyle73
06-18-2016, 08:14 AM
Still waiting on pics and video, I haven't seen them yet, but I placed second in the sport ATV drag race class at the local fair. Small potatoes but it was fun. On the path to being the first loser, I beat a Quadzilla, 450r, 660 raptor, and a Banshee with Toomey pipes and Stage IV everything. I don't know what that means, but his intakes and heads said Stage IV. It was double elimination and I lost to a 660 Raptor when I snoozed at the light on the first race, and to a worked 700R Raptor in the final. The frustrating thing is, I had him, and he drove around me. He was just faster. I also beat an 850 sportsman in a practice round. I broke even on prize money, so all in all, a ton of fun.

nstyle73
06-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Ignore the goggles, I know I look like a goofball. The semifinals with the maroon bike. Not sure what the maroon one is, a YZF450 or the 660 Raptor, there were maroon ones of each. The blue and white bike is the 700R in the finals. He later raced my cousin's renegade 1000 in the open, giving the renegade a length, and drove around him. No luck on the video yet.