PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on rims/tires?

RIDE-RED 250r
12-09-2013, 07:01 PM
So, it's getting close to that time of year again for me... Time to spend some money on wheelers!

I am looking at getting some new rear rubber for my big bore R.

I have narrowed it down to 2 different tires, Holeshot HDs, or Holeshot GNCC.

But the rims is what I'm seeking opinions on mostly, and its mostly a cosmetic thing.

I have always wanted beadlocks and I'm considering the Douglass G2 beadlock rims. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/992/44117/Douglas-Ultimate-G2-Beadlock-Wheel?v=1908

Either those or the ITP Baja reinforced rims in polished aluminum. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/994/8641/ITP-Baja-Wheel?v=1908

I'm not going to lie, the way I ride, the chances of peeling a bead are slim. So, the beadlocks are just a case of having the chance to get something I have always wanted..

But, those beadlocks being mostly black, do you guys think it will look stupid matched up with my OEM 350x front rim I am running? I like that rim and have no intentions of switching it out.

Or should I stick with the polished aluminum look for the rears and get the ITP Bajas?

What do you guys think?? I'm on the fence.....

CRAZY70MAN
12-09-2013, 07:55 PM
The black beadlock look has really grown on me in the last few years.... I personally think it looks killer!! I am gonna get a set as well..........B-day present from wife perhaps??:wondering :D I have a set of gforce on my r.......they look pretty but get me a bit nervous sometimes at the races be it mx or flatrack. It would be a nice insurance measure for sure..... p.s.....I have a set of itp bajas as well and they love to hold mud inside the rim and are a pain in the arss to clean imo......

RIDE-RED 250r
12-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I have been leaning toward the Douglass G2's. I have been thinking they will look pretty good with my 350x rim up front.. But I'm just having trouble really picturing it. Be cool if someone had a pic... They are quite a bit more expensive and I would hate to spend the coin then hate the looks when I get them on...

I have had the thought that the Baja's might hold mud.. For the most part that won't be an issue for me. I ride gravel roads, and even in wet weather it's just water filled pot holes. Rarely do my R's see actual sticky mud....

brd812
12-09-2013, 08:34 PM
I have a couple sets of Baja mounted up for my shee and raptor and never had any issues with mud or flat spotting what so ever. Back when I was youngen the bead locks never held air for crap. They may have changed, that was long ago, just my 2 cents

rg97
12-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Holeshot gncc on the Baja rims. I would think that the spaced out lugs on the tire would do better on gravel, and the baja rims too because they will save you some coin and they you dont have to worry about it messing with your color scheme.

Bren_downe
12-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Ride red… I noticed in your pic you have the Dunlops or your R, I have the same ones on my 82 R and freakin love them. They slide so easy. Any reason your switching?

RIDE-RED 250r
12-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Ride red… I noticed in your pic you have the Dunlops or your R, I have the same ones on my 82 R and freakin love them. They slide so easy. Any reason your switching?

Yeah, they aren't bad and do slide easy.. I was pretty happy with them when my engine was stock-ish. But since I did the 350 big bore, they are lacking for hook-up on gravel. Makes the machine feel half as powerful as it really is. That's why I'm looking at HD's or GNCC's.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-18-2013, 10:39 PM
OK guys. I have pretty much decided on what rims I will be getting.

But still smack on the fence between the GNCC and HD Holeshots.

rg97
12-18-2013, 10:52 PM
GNCC... lighter, more spaced out (no plugging, self cleaning) lugs, and will expand more than the HD's. gravel and dirt only is not enough to need a heavy-duty tire.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-18-2013, 11:03 PM
^^^ I'm starting to lean^^^ ;)

The other thing about the HD's... I'm not sure an 11" wide tire would be "right" on my R.....