PDA

View Full Version : In DESPARATE Need of an Old Vintage Durablue Anti-Fade for a Tecate

TatTooL23
12-04-2013, 10:39 PM
I have an original +6 durablue for my 1st gen Tecate from back in the day. It is planned to be going on my build but the posi-lock anti-fade was F'ed and was far more F'ed by the time I got it off the axle. Now I am stuck without one. I called durablue they said there's nothing they can do and they pointed me toward East Coast ATV because apparently all durablues old stuff went to them but they also said no luck. I have no clue how I am going to find a loose one that could be sold not paired with an axle but if I have to go that route and by it with and axle I just might. I'm just hoping by any bit of luck someone has one or this will now at least be on their mind if they hear of one or something that can work. Thanks.

just ben
12-05-2013, 10:06 AM
I am having the same issue although I never received any response from durablue after several emails and phone calls. From what I have gathered, the early posi lock is similar to what they sell now and they do sell them separately for about 80 bones. The problem is they can't seem to look them up by the dimensions and only by the model of the atv. My plan was/is to find a model with the same diameter axle and use one from that. If that doesn't work out my next option was to have one made. The other option I came up with is probably the easiest solution and that is to just have the axle threaded and use the oem nuts.

TatTooL23
12-05-2013, 11:54 AM
if i had an original that someone would donate i have a CNC guy that can make it immediately. So if ANYONE has one and will donate it just for a few weeks ill pay them just for that and pay shipping. please let me know.

i also was looking for ones that would be the same diameter but does the posi-lock itself have splines?? wouldn't those have to match too??

just ben
12-05-2013, 12:30 PM
mine didn't have any splines. It had a sleeve that was threaded on the outside, a giant nut and a clip. The clip locks in the groove on the axle and the sleeve pushed against the clip when the nut was tightened against the rotor hub. I hope that makes some sort of sense. mine is a 2nd gen so it may be a little different. with the first gen I would guess your best bet to find one the same diameter you would have to look at mini quad axles.

bkm
12-05-2013, 05:47 PM
This is what you need.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/100326-Tecate-Extended-Axels/page3?highlight=finishline

If you can get extras made. I have passed on several very cheap durablue T3 axles because the nut was missing and are impossible to find.

nstyle73
12-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Wait, so the two piece nut that is in post #44? I may be able to help, but I will have to look. I have a +4 durablue on a bike from back in the 80's and it may have a durablue nut. I also have a T4 axle with a nut that looks like the one in post #44 with a pinch bolt, and I have a Finishline or JP +6 with a Rad lock nut, which I think the axle is threaded rather than with circlips like on the durablue. Or do you know if the nuts off of the group buy that broncobeast setup will work? I have one of those loose rather than on a bike. We could probably get one of those made or cross referenced or something. I'll check the vintage bike I have and take a pic, I can't remember what it has, but if its durablue its probably not threaded. Let me know if it looked like the RAD nut though.

TatTooL23
12-09-2013, 01:11 AM
I have a loaner posi-lock nut on the way and a CNC machinist ready! I will keep u informed. Let's hope he can make me a few.

TatTooL23
12-13-2013, 12:47 AM
so this is what i got to try and have duplicated. this original one is steel. do u think it would be ok out of billet which most posi-locks r now made of??

cochran
01-09-2014, 02:46 PM
I would think billet would be fine. I am in the same position you guys are in as well with a +6 NOS 1st gen axle. If you are getting these made I would take one or two.

oile
01-10-2014, 03:36 AM
hows the anti fade nut coming along?

TatTooL23
01-11-2014, 02:23 PM
machinist has it and is working on it. says he can do it. also it will be out of stainless steel. so that good. we will c....

TheBlueWale
01-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Can you post some pictures of the axle?

Also, there were nuts like these on ebay a few months ago listed as mojave, lakota, tecate, kxt nuts for 35 bucks or so. I just looked around and couldn't find any, but I found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dura-Blue-Posi-Lock-1-Piece-AXLE-POSI-LOCK-SUZ-/320990631732?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abc885734&vxp=mtr

TheBlueWale
01-11-2014, 03:10 PM
I think that a posi lock would be your best bet, but the nut that I posted a link to is a expensive way of just using 2 nuts like the stock axles do. The allen key bolt helps pinch the nut together which creates the same effect as the 2 nuts counter tightened.

I inlcuded a pic of a 83/4R durablue axle with a single thread nut and the guy who raced it used a wire to hold it in place, I don't know if this was a norm back in the day, but it seems like the nut could have come undone otherwise. :wondering

atc007
01-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Safety wiring certainly was fairly common back then. He went to that trouble to hold it on,now you're soaking it to get it off :)

TatTooL23
01-14-2014, 01:53 AM
the old durable tecate axles do not have threads. the posi lock has two pieces that thread into each other but not to the axle.

just ben
02-25-2014, 08:22 AM
After 2 years of periodic calls and emails to durablue with no results I finally got ahold of someone there that had a clue. I asked for tech support and was connected with "Tom" after a brief conversation describing what I needed and the diameter of the axle, he took my number and said he would call back after talking to engineering. Much to my surprise he called back about an hour later with a part number for me 20-1636 for the second gen. posi lock for an eliminator axle. Im not sure where your at with having these made but it might be worth a shot to talk with the same person I did.

TatTooL23
02-25-2014, 09:08 AM
He gave u a part number for a different one that will work ??

TatTooL23
04-23-2014, 10:09 AM
So I should have, in-hand, a new stainless steel anti-fade but for vintage durablue axles for the first gen tecates!

I will post pics as soon as I have one. Let me know if u r interested. I will of course be fitting onto my build to make sure all is good. This is a big part finally happening. It has been stopping my build for quite awhile now.

The only other thing is the large snap ring. Does anyone know where to get those? I must be able to contact durablue for those. Gotta be the same or close enough on another model.

Tecate250
12-02-2014, 05:04 PM
My "Finish Line" Axle has a big nut with a small hole drilled to have wire wraped to keep from comming loose. But mine too is siezed in there.

Tecate250
12-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Here is my topic on this. lol I spelt axle wrong.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/100326-Tecate-Extended-Axels?highlight=tecate+extended+axel

just ben
12-03-2014, 08:52 AM
My "Finish Line" Axle has a big nut with a small hole drilled to have wire wraped to keep from comming loose. But mine too is siezed in there.
your "finishlne" is a durablue. I had the same issue with mine being seized. Heat didn't help, I cut into it with a cut off wheel on the top and bottom and split it with an air hammer.

Tecate250
12-20-2014, 04:00 PM
I was told it was a finish line. Are durablues better?