PDA

View Full Version : No wonder people don't want to buy from Honda dealerships

Marty
12-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Just went to pick up some extra parts from Honda dealership. Looked at the invoice and could not believe the HUGE discount I got! What that means is if it was someone else they would have been charged $92+ extra for the 4 pieces I ordered. 181767
No wonder many people are so weary of buying from ANY DEALERSHIP!

blue27
12-04-2013, 04:43 PM
that aint right, if you add it up it does not come to 215.96... it comes to 123.26+tax

UPNATM
12-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Why the discount? Do you own a shop, and are a wholesale business, hence the discount?

JasonB
12-04-2013, 05:47 PM
how do you get your discount? Back in 2004 when i first started modifying my mr2 i was buying parts from the toyota dealer (before i knew about online deals) i would just ask for a discount and normally would get 10% off my items. That was still well over what it costs shipped from the internet though. anyways, dealership markup is INSANE!!!

barnett468
12-04-2013, 05:59 PM
i have seen this type of thing before. it is the incorrect order in which to list the costs but some genius intentionally programmed that computer to do it in this order.

Why does it say "PUTA" at the bottom?

Why did they give you around a 43% discount?

common mark up on honda parts when i ran the parts dept in the mid 70's was 50%.

if you have the honda tag on the part there will a set of numbers in one of the boxes with no dollar sign that will be close to 1/2 of the retail cost. this is the price the shop pays for the part.

shops are in business to make money.

...123.26 is after the discount.
...+92.70 is the amount of the discount.
.= 215.96 is the total un-discounted retail cost of the parts.

what the machine did was simply automatically discount the parts in the first 3 lines.

the 215.96 is what the retail amount would be.

the 92.70 is the amount of the discount.

the 9.92 is the tax charged on the discounted anount of 123.26.

the 133.18 is the total of the discounted parts and tax.

hublake
12-04-2013, 06:16 PM
All that is a invoice that makes you feel like you really got a good deal. Maybe if you are a good customer they give you that discount but how do you know that they don't give that to everybody? I get a big discount when I get things from my Honda dealer, but I have been buying from him for about 6 years now. I buy from him if the parts are available from Honda.

Marty
12-04-2013, 08:39 PM
I do get discount I get around 43% I get a sponsor discount + employee discount even though I do not do either. Those Honda guys are good to me.
But what I was implying was I understand why consumers or customers do not trust dealerships charging all that money for 4 parts and knowing that the dealership is still profiting giving me my 43% discount.

atc007
12-04-2013, 11:29 PM
There is no set mark up on any parts. Dealer might have 23% room on one part,64% { very rare} on another. It all boils down to a 40% average or so. When you stop and think about MOST of the OLD dealerships.. They were busineses',yes. But they were opened by enthusiasts who LOVED their sport 1st and foremost. They opened their doors for the LOVE of it,not the money. Then you think about,rent/lease/mortage,heating cooling/insurance/training/schooling/equipment tools etc.. Payroll/accidents,being responsible for techs mistakes. The internet/forums etc.. It is a damn miracle ANY of them are actually still around. It is no easy task I promise you. I never sold new,Polaris,Honda and Suzuki all asked. It was a headache I had no desire for. When I went in business in 1988,you needed a letter from the president notarized by the Pope to even stick a toe in the door to get parts wholesale. You needed a dealership with a glass storefront,service dept,yellow page ads,a bond etc,and so on.Fast forward 15 years. These same Distributors we bent over backwards to please, to SELL us parts lol! Are now buying 5000 tires and Joe schmoe EBAY dude is buying 50,000 tires. Guess who gets a better deal? Anyone of you can pull up ebay in 2 minutes and buy tires cheaper than any dealer. I haven't fought it,because the hassle isn't worth it. My franchised dealer friends who had to try,would tell guys, $5 tire mounting like always if you buy here. $20 if you carry it in,etc.
Like every business,there are some bad dealers,I realize that. But, please don't think they're robbing you blind,because most of the time,they are not :)

El Camexican
12-04-2013, 11:41 PM
I'd be more upset about that "PUTA" thing than anything else!

Marty
12-05-2013, 02:11 AM
I looked at the invoice as well and wondered about that word there and why it was put there!:)

barnett468
12-05-2013, 06:12 AM
I do get discount I get around 43%. But what I was implying was I understand why consumers or customers do not trust dealerships charging all that money for 4 parts and knowing that the dealership is still profiting giving me my 43% discount.As I mentioned, you have no idea how much money the dealership is making until you look at the honda tag on the part. it has dealer cost and suggested retail. if they removed the tags then obviously you won't know.

when i was parts mgr we charged whatever honda said to with no added mark up and as i mentioned most parts were marked up 50%. i don't know if it was required by honda that a franchise not charge more than the retail price in their price book.

even if that was a requirement at that time who knows if it is now.

barnett468
12-05-2013, 06:14 AM
I looked at the invoice as well and wondered about that word there and why it was put there!:)If it were me, I could care less what words they put on a receipt if I'm getting 43% off of what they normally charge.

Blown 331
12-05-2013, 09:18 AM
I gotta ask, what parts are those? They seem cheap based on what little discription is there.

Joseph Farrow
12-05-2013, 10:43 AM
As I mentioned, you have no idea how much money the dealership is making until you look at the honda tag on the part. it has dealer cost and suggested retail. if they removed the tags then obviously you won't know.

when i was parts mgr we charged whatever honda said to with no added mark up and as i mentioned most parts were marked up 50%. i don't know if it was required by honda that a franchise not charge more than the retail price in their price book.

even if that was a requirement at that time who knows if it is now.

You are correct. The Honda dealer I worked for back in the 80's marked Honda parts up 50%. If it cost the dealership $10 we sold it for $20. It was not set in stone but was the norm.

Marty
12-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Parts are 2 1986 ATC 250R gas tank shrouds and 2 1986 Honda ATC 250R fork boots

Xowner
12-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Parts are 2 1986 ATC 250R gas tank shrouds and 2 1986 Honda ATC 250R fork boots

Dang i want shrouds for that price!!!!

Marty
12-05-2013, 11:31 AM
181794181793here is the invoice for all the stuff I bought, and thanks barnett468 I will take a look at those tags maybe today if I have a chance. But this invoice is the out the door invoice and this one still says PUTA on it so it is not a gag as I thought. Here are the description of parts I bought 2 1986 atc 250r front brake lever, 2 1986 atc 250r clutch levers, 2 1986 atc water pump gaskets, 2 1986 atc 250r gas tank shrouds, 2 1986 250r fork boots, 1 petcock and 1 o ring

barnett468
12-05-2013, 12:03 PM
181794181793thanks barnett468 I will take a look at those tags maybe today if I have a chance.No prob, I looked at your parts and no longer use the same system so there may or may not be a price code on there. i kinda doubt it. your taks are all sku code, back in ancient times before computers they had a paper tag stapled to them that was ariund 2" wide and 4" long with with all the info on it. when we ordered parts we would call honda and they would actually answer the phone. they also used an automated phone line that we could enter the part number on.

we did not use an adding machine because we actually graduated instead of getting a ged.

all receipts were written by hand.

we just had a small metal box for the money.

the owner who was a lady eventually opened a honda car store and became one of the biggest honda dealers in the us. it was called norm reeves honda.

atc007
12-05-2013, 06:57 PM
According to the last shrouds I put away. You are paying 20 over,which would make perfect sense. But I haven't bought any for awhile,and they may have went up. Honda quit putting dealer prices backwards MANY years ago lol. Late 90?s maybe? I Didn't pay attention :)

El Camexican
12-05-2013, 07:21 PM
You are correct. The Honda dealer I worked for back in the 80's marked Honda parts up 50%. If it cost the dealership $10 we sold it for $20. It was not set in stone but was the norm.

Is it just me or is that not a 100% mark-up?:wondering

Dirtcrasher
12-05-2013, 07:41 PM
"Puta" may have been in reference to the parts sales mans name?

Marty
12-05-2013, 07:55 PM
All I know and agree it is a ton of markup! I am just glad those kids and parts mgr take care of me

Blown 331
12-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Dang i want shrouds for that price!!!!

I want that whole order for that price!