PDA

View Full Version : Big Red accessory outlet

Ghostv2
11-26-2013, 05:41 PM
What have you guys used yours for? I know some people wired in a 12v cigarette lighter thing in there, but im wondering what are some of the more unique uses people have tried. Or what you used the lighter outlet for.

Also, i know they made the Hondaline spot light, but people said they made some other things in the threads i have seen about this subject, yet nobody knows exactly. I mean they must have made more things, its a honda specific accessory plug.

Im getting a nice 200e tomorrow so thats why im curious. My first big red.

MNhondaguy
11-26-2013, 08:29 PM
I was always wondered what plugged into there, until I found this site and seen the brochure about the honda line stuff. I have wired in the regular 12v flat2 plug and used a sprayer and such, but that's about it.

Blown 331
11-26-2013, 08:47 PM
I need to add one to a Scrambler! Good for charging a cell phone!

rooster67
11-27-2013, 01:25 AM
GHOSTv2,

I do not want to highjack your thread, but my 250SX has a 12V accessory plug and from the looks of it, it is a dealer add on?? Reason I say this is, I bought this machine from the original owner being an older gentleman and it is bone stock from back to front. If you look at the wiring it is just too clean to be an added accessory after original purchase? THoughts? I keep a small air pump in the rear trunk compartment and it works like a charm!181307181308181309181310

ditchmud
11-27-2013, 01:50 AM
Sorry to inform you but the 200 Big Red doesn't have the power outlet. It was a stock item on the 85-87 250es. I have the Hondaline spotlight that plugs into it.

threewheelin-feelin
11-27-2013, 02:50 AM
i wired a little water proof 12v radio off ebay to my outlet. works good

Twittle
11-27-2013, 04:18 AM
I ran a spotlight off mine when I had one. I just cut the plug off the light and use some wire connecters that fit the accessory plug. It worked good.

Ghostv2
11-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Sorry to inform you but the 200 Big Red doesn't have the power outlet. It was a stock item on the 85-87 250es. I have the Hondaline spotlight that plugs into it.

Well anyways, still want to see what some people have come up with and used. I thought at least the 200es came with it. Didnt know if the 200e did. Would you still be able to put one in somehow?

GHOSTv2,

I do not want to highjack your thread, but my 250SX has a 12V accessory plug and from the looks of it, it is a dealer add on?? Reason I say this is, I bought this machine from the original owner being an older gentleman and it is bone stock from back to front. If you look at the wiring it is just too clean to be an added accessory after original purchase? THoughts? I keep a small air pump in the rear trunk compartment and it works like a charm!181307181308181309181310
I had no idea the 250sx came with an accessory plug, let alone an outlet like that. Im guessing someone did it, not stock. But it looks like it was done really good, very clean. Looks nice enough to belong there.

MRSOUND
11-27-2013, 09:09 AM
The 84 200es did. The one I parted out had one on it. Also shown on the parts explosion. Item #13.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1984/ATC200ES+A/WIRE+HARNESS+%2B+RECTIFIER/parts.html

Ghostv2
11-27-2013, 12:04 PM
This is my 1983 200e i just got minutes ago and that looks to be a 12v accessory outlet.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/coloredname1/46D4EE62-0995-40F6-90B2-E0C33819C0FF_zpssaw7psjc.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/coloredname1/media/46D4EE62-0995-40F6-90B2-E0C33819C0FF_zpssaw7psjc.jpg.html)

kb0nly
11-27-2013, 01:08 PM

I haven't seen a 200E or 200ES yet that didn't have it. The 250 wasn't the only one with it. I have even seen it on a 200M, but it may have been added by a previous owner not sure if it was entirely stock on that model.

kb0nly
11-27-2013, 01:11 PM
This is my 1983 200e i just got minutes ago and that looks to be a 12v accessory outlet.

Nice, even has the weather cover still! I use mine for a bunch of things, although i replaced it with a standard lighter socket so its more versatile. I have run radios, little air compressor that rides with me, drill charger, cell phone charger, spotlight, rechargeable flashlight, etc etc.. Just remember to keep the motor runnin if you run much off it, will drain the battery pretty quickly, and for more amperage while using it shut the lights off so they aren't taking most of your amps.

I also have a cigarette lighter outlet in the trunk, nice place to plug in and store my phone.

Ghostv2
11-27-2013, 01:20 PM
That's a really cool idea to have it in the trunk and the whole cell phone setup. How did you wire it up? I kinda don't wanna butcher this outlet. So If I can wire one up in the back it'd be great. Or even better yet , if someone made adapters for them.

Big G
11-27-2013, 02:44 PM

As mentioned the Big Red 200 did have the power outlet installed from the factory.

Lots of interesting uses for the outlet mentioned here. I was thinking it may be a good spot to connect handle grip heaters?

Ghostv2
11-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Im still wondering what else they made for it. I mean, it was used for 5 years through 3 different models and they only made a spotlight? Weird.
But like all Hondaline accessories for the ATC, they are hard to find and expensive.

MNhondaguy
11-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Maybe back then spotlighting deer and beavers at night to hunt was more popular. So they felt all the workhorse models needed them haha

LastFoolerInVA
11-27-2013, 04:15 PM
I'd love to wire up a cig lighter on my SX... its a pain in the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro trying to light a cig while riding down the road!!!

Where would I splice the wires into?? MY sx had some hacking done to the headlights & run/stop switch already so I won't feel bad for hacking it some more...

rooster67
11-27-2013, 04:44 PM
I really can't say exactly. The wiring job is so nice and snug behind the headlight they just disappear into the loom... If it were me, I would getcha a voltmeter and catch a wire that becomes hot when you turn the key on and then ground black to frame. Done and Done.

kb0nly
11-27-2013, 06:34 PM
That's a really cool idea to have it in the trunk and the whole cell phone setup. How did you wire it up? I kinda don't wanna butcher this outlet. So If I can wire one up in the back it'd be great. Or even better yet , if someone made adapters for them.

I bought one of those accessory outlet kits from the local auto parts store, sure you know the kind with a bracket to screw it down, i bolted that to the top inside of the trunk in the back right corner, looking at it from the back side of the trike. Then i just drilled a small hole to pass the wires through and sealed them up with a nice tight rubber grommet and a bit of black RTV on both sides. The wires just go to the battery terminals with a 5a fuse in the positive. My phone sits in a RAM phone holder which is attached to the side of the trunk, pop in the phone, plug in the charger to the accessory outlet and the phone and go about my business.

I also plug in the small air compressor back there if needed, it lives in the trunk and with me all the time anyway.

The spot light was the only official Honda accessory that i have seen, there may have been more but i havent seen them. They sold the plugs and one came with the trike for wiring whatever you wanted for that outlet. I have seen a few small air compressors with that plug on it on ebay over the years, but i don't think they were a Honda item just something someone made at some point.

R-N-D
11-27-2013, 07:16 PM
So, if you want to plug anything else in it, you would have to convert it to another type of outlet so that you are able to plug it in. With the set up, it looks as if you could only use the Honda Spot on it since the plug is not like a typical outlet. Or, am I seeing something different? I have one on my 200ES, but I don't have it in front of me.

kb0nly
11-27-2013, 08:27 PM
You can use it with anything it you wire the Honda plug to it. They had a plug with screw terminals, just wire the plug on the end of whatever you want to use and plug it in. But yes, your limited to only plugging in stuff with that Honda plug.

Ghostv2
11-27-2013, 08:47 PM
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1146/29286/Tusk-12-Volt-Power-Socket
This looks like a good choice and cheap. Probably what ill get. Maybe they will have it at an auto parts store near me.

Or this might be better. Just more expensive. 5amp fuse and flush mounting hardware to put it in the trunk. And a longer wire.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1146/40718/SW-MOTECH-Flush-Mount-12-Volt-Cigarette-Style-Socket

R-N-D
11-27-2013, 09:28 PM
You can use it with anything it you wire the Honda plug to it. They had a plug with screw terminals, just wire the plug on the end of whatever you want to use and plug it in. But yes, your limited to only plugging in stuff with that Honda plug.

Thanks for clarifying. Sort of thought so but I'm never too sure sometimes.

emmie357
11-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Never thought of plugging other stuff in there. I always thought it was for a winch.

kb0nly
11-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Both of those accessory outlets you linked to would work good. If you get a couple bullet connectors you can remove your stock Honda outlet up front and then attach one its place and run the wiring up into the headlight and plug it in where the stocker was.

It definitely wouldn't run a winch, the wiring is 18 awg. Running a winch takes a LOT more power then that. As a matter of fact its really hard on the battery and charging system to even use a decent sized winch, it will run the battery down pretty fast.

If you wire in an accessory outlet in place of the stock one be sure to put a fuse for it up in the headlight housing, its not fused in its stock form. I believe the spot light had a fuse in its power cord. There is a 7a fuse between the regulator output and the battery terminal, so if you pull too much on it you will pop the fuse to the battery but it will still be shorting the output of the regulator, usually how i see the regulators get blown. I change the wiring on them a bit when i work on them. I keep the 7a fuse from the regulator to the battery but then move the lead that goes to the ignition switch to the battery terminal and give it a separate fuse. That way if you pop the fuse plugging in something or a shorted headlight etc, you won't pop your charging fuse and the battery will still get charged.

Ghostv2
11-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Well I wanted to keep the original honda outlet there and wire one up in the trunk like you did. The $30 one comes with a 5amp fuse and enough cord and I planned on just hooking it to the battery terminals. Plus it has a flush mounting kit and rubber seals so it'll probably be best. I don't plan on using a winch or power something large, just like you use it for. Cell phone, small air compressor, stuff like that.

Now will getting the back of that wet hurt it? Or the fact atc's are AC? Because the back of the $30 one looks a little exposed.

kb0nly
11-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Well i wouldnt mount it in the side of the trunk, i would mount it inside and just have the wiring coming out the front of the trunk up high like i did on the front side of it facing the battery. That way nothing is exposed its all inside the trunk. They aren't AC if they have a battery, then they are DC so your all good there. Just tap right on at the battery terminals with the fuse inline and your good.

The one i used up front in the weather looks like this..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Bell-12-Volt-all-weather-power-socket/_/N-25ne?itemIdentifier=263173_0_0_

The one i used inside the trunk is this style..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Bell-12-Volt-auxiliary-power-socket/_/N-25ne?itemIdentifier=263161_0_0_

Hair Bear Bunch
11-29-2013, 01:08 PM
I've fitted an inline cig socket up front and run a GPS from it. Can't find pics at the moment...

Ghostv2
11-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Found this in my basement, came with an old spotlight. Has a built in 15a fuse. Works for now i suppose.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/coloredname1/5D4716A5-2C2E-4E73-BEFE-C81886CACCCA_zpsa1jlrd8m.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/coloredname1/media/5D4716A5-2C2E-4E73-BEFE-C81886CACCCA_zpsa1jlrd8m.jpg.html)

kb0nly
11-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Take the clamps off and put on some ring terminals and there is your trunk cord...

Hair Bear Bunch
11-30-2013, 08:27 AM
That's the type of socket I fitted - fuse and ring terminals and youre done! Mine is tucked behind the headlight and connected direct (via a fuse!) to the battery.

Ghostv2
12-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Fitted some clamp on ring terminals on it.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/coloredname1/C4F03F8D-52CB-495B-A51D-AFFB91BA91A7_zpsjdxbafns.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/coloredname1/media/C4F03F8D-52CB-495B-A51D-AFFB91BA91A7_zpsjdxbafns.jpg.html)

Hooked it up to the battery.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/coloredname1/260E1A9B-73A9-4F4F-AF21-ECBC337C6135_zpsvfwtrasa.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/coloredname1/media/260E1A9B-73A9-4F4F-AF21-ECBC337C6135_zpsvfwtrasa.jpg.html)

Mounted it to the little knobbies in the trunk with some zip ties, just so it doesnt bounce around. A fix for now, i really didnt wanna drill through the trunk. But it works. Thanks Kb0nly for the idea.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/coloredname1/EE997673-ADBF-4EDB-BD9A-DEB474A5B2B7_zpskjaylc2c.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/coloredname1/media/EE997673-ADBF-4EDB-BD9A-DEB474A5B2B7_zpskjaylc2c.jpg.html)
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/coloredname1/07D20772-A5E8-4F1D-8E54-C85009E6A4EE_zpsfhelbohf.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/coloredname1/media/07D20772-A5E8-4F1D-8E54-C85009E6A4EE_zpsfhelbohf.jpg.html)

kb0nly
12-01-2013, 06:51 PM
That works! It shouldnt cause any troubles being over the top lip, there is enough play in the lid for it.

Could always make a bracket and put it under the screws for the exhaust heatshield or the bolts that hold the trunk hinge on to. Plenty of ways to do it.

Ghostv2
12-01-2013, 07:36 PM
I was thinking of doing that, using the existing holes. But first day of deer season is tomorrow, I'll make something up when I got more time. :)

kb0nly
12-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Shoot em all! Hate the damn things down here.

kebby28
12-01-2013, 10:32 PM
I was hoping to see some cool accessories on this thread. There had to be more! I was thinking if you could find the male ends and wire them onto your devices that way you could leave the original plug. I find cigg lighters to be kinda cheap and rust out just from condensation. Maybe CB radios?

Ghostv2
12-01-2013, 10:38 PM
I was hoping to see some cool accessories on this thread. There had to be more! I was thinking if you could find the male ends and wire them onto your devices that way you could leave the original plug. I find cigg lighters to be kinda cheap and rust out just from condensation. Maybe CB radios?
So was I, so was I. But if you search for the old threads about this topic someone did use a bc radio.
On the side note I plan on making myself a plug that will work with the original. Would be great if I had money to make some molds and create kind of a universal thing that everyone could use. But I'll post some pics when I get to it. For now it'll be more rigging stuff up. I wish I had a picture of the spotlights plug. Or one to take a mold of.

big specht
12-02-2013, 09:29 AM
On the side note I plan on making myself a plug that will work with the original. Would be great if I had money to make some molds and create kind of a universal thing that everyone could use. But I'll post some pics when I get to it. For now it'll be more rigging stuff up. I wish I had a picture of the spotlights plug. Or one to take a mold of.

Now that would be a good product to market/sell I would be in for one of those. At least I would be more likely to use the plug then if I some thing to plug into it

ATC250ES
12-17-2013, 12:09 AM
This is what I decided to use on mine for the time being since you can't find the male plugs to easy. All mine have the one factory male plug so this will make it where I can interchange whatever accessory's I set up and be able to use them between all of them by just plug and play. The bare wire ends I will wire to whatever such as a 12V outlet, spotlight, small compressor, etc if they don't already plug into a cigarette lighter plug.

tri again
12-18-2013, 04:06 AM

hmmm let's get creative...
boombox for campfire parties, radio to call for help, disco lights, crash beacon, car alarm for when we lobby to make these street legal, under fender ambiance lights.
Heck, I'm having trouble keeping my taillights and blinkers working.
The way things are going, I'd have to make sure the first thing in line would be a fuse.

Canyon Man
12-18-2013, 07:53 PM
I think we are gonna need a bigger boat..oops I mean battery:lol: