PDA

View Full Version : ATC 250SX Engine Mockup

Flyingw
11-23-2013, 03:56 AM
With all the 250SX and ES carbs I've been rebuilding lately, my SX has been sitting partially disassembled waiting for the next carb to test. It's getting to be a drag having to put it back together just to putt it around. The solution!!!!!!!! An engine mockup. Hell, I have everything to make it happen EXCEPT for an exhaust system. I need a useable head pipe and muffler. They both can be in so/so shape. It won't be going on a trike but it needs to work. Rot on the end of the muffler is acceptable.

I bought a 99.00 work cart. I have an SX motor mounted to a cutoff lower engine cradle. All I have to do is mount everything up. I'm going to feed the carb with a small lawnmower tank mounted above the engine. I have all the electrics so this should be pretty easy.

This is a cheap build so the cheaper the better for my budget. SX or ES exhausts will work. Anyone help a Brother out?

This is what my SX looks like most of the time lately

The other is the start of the project.

Dirtcrasher
11-23-2013, 04:21 AM
Very very nice!! You just LOVE working on these things dontchya!!

I'm surprised your wife doesn't clobber you!

Sweet idea!

Flyingw
11-23-2013, 04:29 AM
It makes sense. Right now I'm debating on whether to rebuild the motor so I know its condition. The motor came out of a chassis I bought earlier this year. The wiring is going to get unwrapped and cut to length (I'm anal). I should be real convenient to test carbs with a setup like this.

MRSOUND
11-23-2013, 12:38 PM
PM sent on exhaust.

Dave Little
11-24-2013, 12:52 AM
I figured you'd have to do something like this sooner or later.

Flyingw
11-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Ya, I've been pondering this for a while

Flyingw
11-27-2013, 04:36 AM
If I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right. I'm waiting for an exh system, airbox, solenoid, fuel tank, Fuel valve, and ignition coil to show up but for now, I got the control panel, choke, and throttle figured out. I can get some of the wiring done while I'm waiting. Don't look at my welds too close. I'm still learning.

MRSOUND
11-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Wow...Taking it to the next level! I like it! You need anything else before I ship exhaust Friday?

Flyingw
11-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Nope, I'm good to go.

Flyingw
11-29-2013, 12:39 AM
I know this is kind of a stupid project but for what I will use it for makes sense. In addition to checking carbs, I can test a freshly rebuilt motor before committing it to the frame. I can test starters, CDIs, stators, solenoids and so on. When I know it works, I'll pull the motor and give it a bath and a fresh shot of rattlecan just to clean it up and the engine mounts will get powder coated red. I received my fuel tank yesterday so I made a mount out of a couple of 250R engine mounts and attached it to the mount on the head. I also mounted the solenoid, regulator, and made some battery cables.

Flyingw
12-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Just finished the wiring. I have lights and ignition. I need a better inline fuel valve otherwise I'd fire it up now. I still have the support bracket for the airbox to make and see what I need to do to support the muffler.

Xowner
12-15-2013, 09:42 PM
FlyW care if i move this to the Trikesylvania section so more people can see this awesome start cart!?

Flyingw
12-15-2013, 10:22 PM
No, not at all.

bigdaddyvw185
12-15-2013, 11:14 PM
pretty sweet man! that cart looks like it should have been in a honda dealer's shop for dianostic's back in the day!

tri again
12-15-2013, 11:42 PM
Holy smokes..x2 on the teaching tool too.
I got an inline shut off from the lawnmower/motorsports shop.

Cheap looking black plastic with a red twisty valve for a buck.
Want me to send it to you?

That really should have a brass and glasss time machine fancy looking
intravenous feeder imo.

Gorgeous.
Pretty sure the wife would slap me on her way out of town if I had one of those, but then I could put it in the living room.

Simply love the oem keyswitch.

Flyingw
12-16-2013, 12:04 AM
No, I have a place that sells that exact fuel valve. I'll pick one up tomorrow. I have the muffler drying and later I will mount that up. I have the airbox mounted up. This is a tool for me so I can test my carbs without tearing my SX apart every time. I'm pretty excited how it turned out. When I have a little carb rebuilding down time, I'll get the motor splashed with a little rattlecan to clean it up, paint the thumb throttle, and engine mounts. My intention was to have it just as it would be in the trike. Unmodified exhaust, airbox, and electrical system and I think I have achieved that. The electrical system not only runs the motor but I have the lighting system wired up too so that means I can check stators, CDIs, ignition coils, starters, regulators, headlights, tail lights, batteries etc.

HondaHarry
12-16-2013, 12:54 AM
I think it could use an Ice Cream Maker attachment. HH

Flyingw
12-16-2013, 02:40 AM
HI HARRY!!!!! Its been along time Brother. How the hell have you been? I could modify a propeller shaft and have the output of the motor hooked up to an ice cream churn, BBQ rotisserie or many other things. Hell, it could even function as some sort of mechanical sex toy. "HIT THE GAS BABY" OHHHHHHH YAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!. I got the pipe mounted so it ready to go.

redsox
12-16-2013, 10:00 AM
i love it for a few reasons. first, because its awesome for its intended purpose. it is truly "next level". Second, i love it because when normal people in society see that thing they're bound to think you are sick in the head!! one of my joys is when i can get that response from people and its my suspicion that you'll have that in spades. great job! BTW, carbs will ship this afternoon.

Flyingw
12-16-2013, 02:46 PM
People say I'm not right in the head. A mad man as it were. My wife says I'm fussy meaning I like things a certain way. To that I say..... GUILTY!!! We all have to be a little mad to ride trikes. Down right insane if you ask me.

C.J
12-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Dude thats AWESOME!!! I was wanting to build something like that for my LT motors but never got around to it and dont have the time/$$ too now.You should give us an early X-Mas present of seeing that cart run :beer

jb2wheels
12-16-2013, 10:58 PM
People say I'm not right in the head. A mad man as it were. My wife says I'm fussy meaning I like things a certain way. To that I say..... GUILTY!!! We all have to be a little mad to ride trikes. Down right insane if you ask me.

All true and then some ;)

Flyingw
12-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Hey John. that's the motor that was in the chassis you picked up for me.

jays375
12-16-2013, 11:15 PM
That set up is awesome!Just can't believe how perfect the whole set up is.Very nice.

MRSOUND
12-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Sending "test subjects" your way! :Bounce Just dropped them at the PO. :w00t:

Hair Bear Bunch
12-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Brilliant! Just needs a 'Honda Service' decal on the control panel. I guess a dynomometer for the output shaft would be next? You should count yourself lucky I'm on the wrong side of the pond otherwise I'd be harrassing you with a truckfull of suspect parts for testing;)
Out of interest, did you have to ballast the bottom shelf to counter any gyroscopic imbalance when running?

Flyingw
12-17-2013, 06:36 PM
I haven't fired it up yet but hopefully I wont have to weigh the cart down.

Flyingw
12-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Well it runs!!!! It fired right up. That motor defiantly needs some attention but overall, it runs ok. The cart vibrates just a little but no dramatic torqueing or anything like that.

Flyingw
12-18-2013, 02:23 AM
Tonight I adjusted the valves but it has a timing chain tick so a rebuild is in order. I also wrapped the head pipe so I don't burn my delicate skin. The tip of the muffler is pretty roached so I put some fiberglass speed tape over the holes then wrapped it as well. Good to go!!! I made a lever for the reverse shaft so I can put it in to reverse not that I will ever need that but hey, I might as well go all out. I installed a different inline fuel valve. I have some red silicone fuel line on order so that blue will go away when the red arrives.

Dirtcrasher
12-18-2013, 04:54 AM
Came out great Jim; I kinda think your trying to make a cockpit in there for some reason?? :lol:

Where is the horizontal meter :)

On another note, did you use the Rustoleum epoxy floor kit or a more industrial type?? My shop holds up well but could have been better.......

Flyingw
12-18-2013, 10:58 AM
I had painted my floor three times with Rustoleum and it would last a couple of years before it started looking shabby. It got to the point where all that paint needed to be removed and redone but I wasn't up to that task so I got ahold of "Garage Experts". Their product is different than most concrete topcoats. It allows the concrete to breathe. It comes in about 11 different colors and several different flake sizes. I LOVE MY FLOOR!!!!

http://www.garageexperts.com/

I'm sure there are other companies out there selling the same type of product. My floor was 1800.00 but they came in and diamond ground the entire floor and applied their product in a few hours. After 24hrs it was ready. No waiting a week for parking cars or anything like that. I would recommend this type of product to anyone considering having their floor done. The Rustoleum just doesn't hold up.

jeswinehart
12-18-2013, 07:44 PM
I was showing her your mock up pictures last night and she said was going to make a little something for you.
So when I got home tonight she said, see,,,, just like the one on your Bigred.

It will be in the package along with those other little proto type parts to check out :)

Flyingw
12-18-2013, 07:48 PM
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!! Tell Liway I love her. I was digging through my parts last night looking for the last prototype you guys sent me. I found it but its the wrong color. THIS ONE IS THE RIGHT COLOR. Thank you very much.

jb2wheels
12-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Hey John. that's the motor that was in the chassis you picked up for me.

Oh that's excellent! Get some use out of that heap!

Flyingw
12-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Well after my blowup last night over the welded on centrifugal clutch, at 6am I got the motor reassembled. Today I got the engine reinstalled on the cart and hooked up and it runs. The valves are a little out so after it cools off, I'll get those readjusted. Now to put it to work. I have four carbs waiting for attention. I'm calling this little project complete.

kebby28
12-27-2013, 09:57 PM
That thing is beautiful!

Yamaha3wheeler
12-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Flying, I don't mean to mess up the thread but I have to know. What is the product / brand of that coating you have on your floor. Beautiful!

The bikes are hot too, lol.

Flyingw
12-27-2013, 10:50 PM
I had painted my floor 3x with Rustoleum and it looked good for a couple of years but when it came time to do it again, I knew the previous layers had to come off but I wasn't up to the task. I read all about all the different coatings available which are basically all topcoats but then I found the "Garage Experts" and decided to go with them. Their product is not your typical topcoat. This product allows the concrete to breathe. It comes an many colors and several different size of flake. I love my floor. It cleans up easy. Not industructable but it has held up very well as I'm pretty hard on my floors.

http://www.garageexperts.com/

UPNATM
12-28-2013, 12:38 AM
Wow, as always, amazing job! Looks like a piece of art!