PDA

View Full Version : tri moto front end swap

trizilla
11-18-2013, 09:05 PM
in my spare time lately i've been trying to get my shop cleaned up and some projects sorted out. yesterday i brought in the tri moto "project" that i've been collecting bits and pieces for. after about 2 yrs now i have decided to get it out of the wether and under cover for now. after starring at it for a half hour i talked myself into trying to put this extra Z front end on it. this was never my original plan and it will need to have the tubes shortened to work right and look decent but it is a direct bolt on using the tri moto hardware with the Z tripples. the steering stop on the stock tri moto frame even works with the Z tripples. along with the Z front end i threw on an extra set of hubs and wheels and the Air Cone pipe i recently bought for it.

C.J
11-18-2013, 09:13 PM
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!! This is my exact plan for the 125 I'm picking up!!

Yamaha3wheeler
11-18-2013, 10:09 PM
you sound pretty excited to have "known it". lol. I had to :)

C.J
11-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Ok ok ok, I had a huge sneaking suspension after measuring things with my gone out eyeballs.
LMAO

Dirtcrasher
11-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Zilla knows his secret stash and swaps!! :D

Vealmonkey
11-19-2013, 08:10 AM
You can also use the ytm 200 front end if you swap stems from a 175 front end.

trizilla
11-19-2013, 07:50 PM
You can also use the ytm 200 front end if you swap stems from a 175 front end.

your old build thread inspired me to do this. i really miss the days when there were a bunch of builds going on. your tri moto thread is still a great read.i just recently went through the whole thing again.lol

C.J
11-19-2013, 08:11 PM
That wasn't JUST a build thread. That was like 4 different builds in one thread lmao

Trizilla, what are you thinking about the fork situation?
Can the chrome tubes just be cut down some from the bottom or does it not work like that? I haven't pulled a set of forks apart yet to see how they work...

the great gazoo
11-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Wow, that's a first! Now all you gotta do is rattle Pat's cage & a ProTec rear kit will fall out! Really cool, Eric- Looking forward to this build, TGG

trizilla
11-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Wow, that's a first! Now all you gotta do is rattle Pat's cage & a ProTec rear kit will fall out! Really cool, Eric- Looking forward to this build, TGG

thanks!!

CJ,

i've never had a set of forks shortened but yes they cut the chrome tube, from which end, i'm not sure. i have a few other pieces sitting in a box but it will be awhile before anything else gets done to it. it may get a yz125 top end, 77-80 will bolt on.

the great gazoo
11-19-2013, 09:57 PM
I forgot to ask, what pipe is that?

generallee2005
11-19-2013, 10:07 PM
I like that exhaust, there was one on ebay a few months ago. It was there for a few hours before it was gone! I totally missed out on that one. I think it was an Aircone too, but I don't remember that bend in the back. I'm certainly subscribing here!

Vealmonkey
11-20-2013, 08:32 AM
If you cut the forks down, which I really don't know about, you would have to cut them at the top. The bottoms are generally tapered and some have grooves and such which are super critical. And to add further comment, I haven't seen a Pro Tec kit in a while, 2 years or so. I still have a Pro Tec pipe though.

atc300r
11-20-2013, 08:47 AM
What about using 200x forks. I read in the interview section on another site with Brett Drisscol that he used 200x forks on his factory Tri-Z because they where better than the stock Z forks. This was on the first gen Z.

trizilla
11-20-2013, 10:46 AM
If you cut the forks down, which I really don't know about, you would have to cut them at the top. The bottoms are generally tapered and some have grooves and such which are super critical. And to add further comment, I haven't seen a Pro Tec kit in a while, 2 years or so. I still have a Pro Tec pipe though.

i thought maybe they would be cut at the top. the spring will also have to be shortened.

as far as the pro tech, the last one i saw actually belonged to you in the first place. it was the kit that was to be used on your pro tech tri moto.. it went in the $400 range.. i'd love to find one but will have better luck with a needle in a haystack.lol

trizilla
11-20-2013, 10:48 AM
What about using 200x forks. I read in the interview section on another site with Brett Drisscol that he used 200x forks on his factory Tri-Z because they where better than the stock Z forks. This was on the first gen Z.

if you read that article closely you'll take notice that he states he used 200x fork from one of honda's racers.. i have a feeling those forks were not from a stock 200x. and actually, the stock 200x fork is smaller diameter than the stock 1st gen Z.