PDA

View Full Version : 250sx difficulty removing rear shock...

Caminofeld
11-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Hello, this probably sounds like a stupid post but I'm at my wit's end so here it goes anyway...

I'm replacing the rear shock on my '85 250sx. The top nut/bolt came out easy enough but the bottom is killing me. The nut on the bottom bolt was super difficult to reach, but I was able to get the nut off (with a 1/2" breaker bar and some serious sweat). After removing the nut I jacked the bike up by the rear rack to take the weight off the bolt. The shock moves freely and I'm able to rotate the bolt with ease. In order to get an angle to beat the bolt through I removed the skid plate on the rear diff. My problem is that I've soaked the bolt in liquid wrench and can turn it easily, but no matter how hard I beat it I can't get it to back out. It appears that there is a sleeve over the bolt in-between the shock eye that turns with the bolt. Am I missing something, or is the sleeve just frozen on the bolt?

Flyingw
11-17-2013, 10:00 PM
The bolt is corroded to the bushing in the shock eye. Very common. The challenge is getting a drift on the end of the bolt to break it loose and drive the bolt out of the bushing. Most have resorted to pulling the differential off to get a straight shot at the end of the bolt.

kebby28
11-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Heat if you have a torch. Never had a use for liquid wrench. Always use PB Blaster and tap on the metal I'm applying it to. A good punch and a hand sledge.

Caminofeld
11-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Kebby, unfortunately I'm without a torch...but I've beat the snot out of this thing with a punch and my BFH and truly believe the indirect angle of attack is the culprit. Flyingw, you've stated what I've feared, but at this point it's looking like the only option is to remove the rear diff to get a straight shot. Look for my next post "Difficulty removing the rear diff in 250sx" lol...

Caminofeld
11-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Nothing is ever easy in my garage...I'll repost when/if I'm successful.

Caminofeld
11-17-2013, 11:07 PM
I've broken everything loose to pull the rear diff. My only problem now is getting the driveshaft disconnected. Do I need to remove the swing arm?

Flyingw
11-17-2013, 11:23 PM
The propeller shaft is spring loaded. Push it forward.

Caminofeld
11-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the reply...unfortunately I read this after I just pulled the axle. No worries though, because the end result was the same and the diff is off. I'm actually kinda glad I'm getting to dissect my trike. I'm learning alot and, since I have it disassembled, I can replace bearings and clean up/reseal the rear assembly. The splines all look good and there is minimal rust, so I am fortunate...what really sucks is that even with a direct line of swing and a 3 lb hammer the bolt is still frozen:( Looks like I'll be borrowing a torch next weekend.

dougspcs
11-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Careful with the heat..that shock might still have good seal.

Hate to see it pop in your face!!

Dirtcrasher
11-18-2013, 12:40 AM
You either have to heat it or get creative.

Gotta take this chit apart every year or so if it sees water!!

Grease her up!! All girls need some KY!!:D

Caminofeld
11-18-2013, 01:53 AM
You either have to heat it or get creative.

Gotta take this chit apart every year or so if it sees water!!

Grease her up!! All girls need some KY!!:D

Well considering that this thing probably hasn't been apart since 1985 and has been ridden hard by me and the original owner I've probably got my work cut out for me. Once all is said and done though, I'll perform the necessary yearly teardown/greasejob...you gotta lick it before you stick it:)...even funnier because I'm giving this one to my girlfriend (She got pissed because I put a tampon in the toolbox lol). I also widened the rear with 2" spacers and 22x13.5 maxxis rubicons for stability...when everyone on the trails asks which girl is mine I can say "the one with the really wide rear end":)

Gearheadtom
11-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Idk if you'd be able to do this, but changing automotive shocks I have run a grinder on the inside of the shock mount to cut the bolt off on both sides.

Name Brand
11-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Find a large socket or piece of pipe an inch or two long that will fit over the bolt head. Position a C-clamp over that and against the bottom of the bolt. Tighten till the bolt moves. It won't press all the way out but will break whatever is holding it in. Should be able to knock it out with a hammer and drift after.

LastFoolerInVA
11-18-2013, 10:17 AM
had the same problem with my sx.. the shock bolt was stuck in the sleeve/bushing thing but the sleeve turns inside shock.... everybody else has already said every bit of advice I can give other than .... WD40 is flammable.. good luck!!!