PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! 200x shifting problem

Killbot
11-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Hello all! Started up my 1984 200x, pulled in the clutch shifted down into 1st gear and engine just konks out. Replaced cluch cable (hoped it was the problem) but it is still doing it. What's my next step?

yaegerb
11-16-2013, 06:02 PM
new clutch, specifically steel plates, frictions and springs. I recommend OEM or Barnett.

rg97
11-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Sounds more like a clutch problem than a shifting problem. Is the clutch suddenly easy to pull in? No matter what, youre going to have to drain the oil and take of the right side cover. Inspect anything for damage, buy some New fiber plates, steel discs, and springs ( i recommend barnett dirt digger kit) and put it back together then report back.

Killbot
11-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Doh! (I'm like "the worst mechanic ever." Lol) Na! Things always work in the end, but it;s never easy.Lol I also need top end work, Should I just pull the whole engine out? And I guess I need new gaskets for everything! (Bike just too nice to part out!)

rg97
11-16-2013, 07:19 PM
depends on what kind of top end work you need (valves, rings, cam, new piston, etc...), but most of the time, yes, you'll have to pull the whole motor

Killbot
12-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Ok! Got my Barnett clutch kit in mail today! It only contained the friction discs and springs. Were clutch plates suppose to come in kit?

rg97
12-13-2013, 01:55 PM
it should, but maybe you bought the wrong one? i dont know, do you have a link to the one you bought?
If it said "complete" kit, it should definitely have clutch plates. Just clarifying, did it come with only the steel plates or the actually fiber plates?
If it came with fiber and springs only, you can re-use the steel plates as long as they are in spec.
Manual says that you have to check and make sure that the steel plates are not warped more than .008". No measurement on thickness.

Killbot
12-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Ya! it was my fault. I should have read the small print but they had pictures of both on advertisment. At least now I know!