PDA

View Full Version : Spring Question.

jakerush
12-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Sorry, this is probably a dumb question for many of you but I don't exactly know the parts and mechanics of the springs used in rear suspended trikes(like my 200x).

What's with the canister that's linked to the spring and what does it do. If a spring is "blown?", can it be brought back to life?

Just one of the many questions to come from the man with the most unoriginal user id in the history of the board.

Jake Rush

sportvette
12-30-2003, 01:17 PM
i believe the canister is a tank for the gas. and you can adjust how much gas is used in the shock using the knob. kind of like controling how much air is in your shocks from the top air valve. thats my best guess. you can get the shock rebuilt if it leaks, or just find another one on ebay.

anyone with real knowledge would like to add to this?

thanks,
mark

ATCMedic
12-31-2003, 07:15 AM
The canister holds a nitrogen gas charge under pressure. If the bladder in the canister fails and you lose your gas charge it can be fixed, but the canister would need to be replaced and probably wouldn't be worth the cost when you consider the cost of a good used replacement shock. The oil seals in the damper unit can be replaced if it's leaking oil. There are places that overhaul rear shocks, but I believe they can run $100-200 for an overhaul. Finally if the gas charge was released but the canister is still good, and the oil seals are holding you can have the gas recharged at most dealers for around $5.00, just be sure to have it checked for leaks before getting it charged.